Gaining Lean Body Mass and Daily Calories Problem

So, im trying to build a bigger physique, gain weight in other words. However i want it to be a clean bulk. Anyway, my problem is that i don't know if i have calculated correctly my maintenance caloric intake. I mean im hungry most of the times when im supposed to be eating in a caloric surplus.

Im a 21 year old 71 kg 1,79 cm male. My body fat ranges around 11-13 percent. My BMR rate is around 1700, and using a moderate active factor i get around 2400 cals. So my suggested bulking diet is around 2700 cals a day. Im training (weight training) 5 times a week, around 1 hour in the gym (net time using weight training around 18-20 mins.)

Is being hungry a good indicator of eating less than needed to bulk up or could it be just my bad habbits wanting to eat more???

*Im in this state for around 2 weeks(bulking), im going to take my measurements again in 2 weeks from now to see if im gaining weight, but i just wanted another opinion from more ppl.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Finding your maintenance calories is trial and error. Track your food and your weight, adjust your intake based on what your weight does.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I hate totally "clean" bulks. I felt like I was always full and even when I worked out, it felt uncomfortable. While one can stay reasonably lean during a bulk, eating "cleaner" isn't necessarily going to make the bulk less fatty. Calories surplus numbers will count more towards whether one gains too much fat or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I ate fairly dirty during my bulk. I figured it was the best time to enjoy foods since I had so many calories to play with. When cutting I just don't have much room for all of that while still hitting macros.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    You are gonna have to do some homework. Track calories/intake and weight over the next 4 weeks. Be diligent. Then you can figure out how many calories you need in order to gain weight. I have been doing that....and I think for me, maintenance seems to be ~3500 calories.
    The past two days I have done brownies and ice cream (big servings)
    My weekly weigh in is tomorrow, so if I am still at ~175lbs, then I have to go up in calories.
  • sakisgw3
    sakisgw3 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks guys, trial and error is indeed the best method.
  • MityMax96
    18-20min???
    Wow...
    My sessions are anywhere from 60 - 120 min.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    You and I are about the same stats. I'm 5'7" and this morning I weighed 152. I am currently in a bulking phase. I do strength training 4 times a week focused around compound lifts and progressive overload, gym sessions last about 60-120 min. Unless you are just really active, 2700 cals/day seems a bit high. I would start out at the 2300-2400 like you mentioned before. Eat those calories for 2 weeks and see what happens. If you have not been eating that many calories for an extended period of time, you will probably see a slight jump in weight at first, but that will even out after eating that many calories for a couple weeks. And if lose weight eating 2300-2400 then you know you need to eat more and increase your cals to 2600/day. I do follow a pretty "clean" bulk about 75% of the time. However, I am a firm believer in IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros). I do enjoy cereal and ice cream regularly, I typically have enough calories after my dinner to enjoy those foods. Take a look at my diary (don't pay too much attention to weekends as those are loosely tracked days). If you just started tracking, it could be your body getting used to the new calories. If you do not have a food scale, GET ONE!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Can I please ask the meaning of "clean bulk"? I thought it meant trying to bulk with minimal fat gain, but responders are acting as if it means "eating clean" (whatever that means...whole foods, etc I guess). I just could use some clarification and also what OP specifically meant. Thanks!
  • MityMax96
    edited October 2014
    ^^ What MrM said

Trying to put on weight and eat enough to allow muscles to grow, while trying to keep body fat accumulation to a minimum
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    18-20min???
    Wow...

I'm wondering about that as well. I have super limited time and my lifting still ranges from 40-60 min/session. If you're bulking, cut the cardio--it's not doing you any favors unless you want to eat even more food (trust me, eventually it gets old).

For comparison's sake, I'm a 5'6" 125 lb female doing my second "clean" bulk, and I eat around 2500 calories per day, lifting 4-5 days/week.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    18-20min???
    Wow...

I'm wondering about that as well. I have super limited time and my lifting still ranges from 40-60 min/session. If you're bulking, cut the cardio--it's not doing you any favors unless you want to eat even more food (trust me, eventually it gets old).

For comparison's sake, I'm a 5'6" 125 lb female doing my second "clean" bulk, and I eat around 2500 calories per day, lifting 4-5 days/week.
    around 1 hour in the gym (net time using weight training around 18-20 mins.)

He's saying he lifts for an hour with 2 minute break between sets more or less.

• TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Figure out your body somatotype. (Google it). This will dictate whether you need more carbs or protein to bulk up and your approx. calorie range. If you're an ectomorph you can look at anything from 3500 to 4000 per day, mesos are more in the middle with 3000-3500 and endomorphs go lower. Your training will change depending on your bodytype as well.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    yvesklein wrote: »
    Figure out your body somatotype. (Google it). This will dictate whether you need more carbs or protein to bulk up and your approx. calorie range. If you're an ectomorph you can look at anything from 3500 to 4000 per day, mesos are more in the middle with 3000-3500 and endomorphs go lower. Your training will change depending on your bodytype as well.
    Soma types have been debunked a long time ago. It's great for people that need excuses.

^This.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    yvesklein wrote: »
    Soma types have been debunked a long time ago. It's great for people that need excuses.

^This.

yup