Sticking to calorie limit even when hungry?

Just wondered how other people felt about this.

I've only just started counting calories, so I don't really know where my maintenance is yet, in order to estimate the excess that I need.

At the moment I'm aiming for 2500 calories a day in order to put on 0.5lb a week, or thereabouts. I want to minimise fat gain while working out.

My question is - to other people counting their calories - if you reach your limit for the day and you're still hungry, do you just listen to your body and eat? Or do you tend to trust the limit you have set for yourself?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    It depends on how hungry I am. But 80% of the time I just stick to my goal. If I find myself getting hungry at the same time every day then I change up my meal timing and/or meal composition. Hunger is generally a very poor indicator of actual needs.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Sometimes if I'm really hungry early in the day, I tell myself that I can eat as much as I want (that's still light and healthy), and it will be fine to go over. What typically ends up happening is that I still stay under for the day because I balance it out by eating less in the evening. I think it's partly because I don't want to go over, so I intentionally scale back later; but I also think that by eating when I am so ravenous satisfies me better for the whole day.
  • Thanks :) I think I'll try to stick to my calorie goals and perhaps change meal timings a bit to see if that helps.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Over time, you learn to eat things that make you feel full.

So to answer your question: I don't get hungry, because I've found a mix of foods (generally lower-carb, and higher protein/fat) that fills me to the point that I don't get food cravings above my goal calories.

I also keep some things on hand that are low-calorie (like sugar-free pudding) in case I do get carb cravings.

It probably took me a year of experimenting to figure this out.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Stick to my goal. If you are eating your calories and are still consistently hungry, look at the food you are eating, and make sure it is as nutrient dense as possible (I only say this because you can eat a larger quantity of nutrient dense food for less calories, thus you can eat larger portions and feel more satisfied). If that all looks good, and you are still hungry, slowly up your calories by 100-200/day. Give that change 2 weeks or so and see how you feel/look/weigh and adjust calories accordingly. Or just drink more water and see if that helps with the hunger.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Ice cream. Wait, what was the question?

If I've met my goal and still want something, I'll have it...depending on what it is. If it's about 200 cals or less, I'll usually have it. I also practice 16:8 IF to help with overall calorie control.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2014
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    It depends on how hungry I am. But 80% of the time I just stick to my goal. If I find myself getting hungry at the same time every day then I change up my meal timing and/or meal composition. Hunger is generally a very poor indicator of actual needs.

This is what I do most of the time. I find that I don't feel hungry if the majority of my caloric intake is consumed toward the middle and end of the day (so like between 3-9 pm). I'm not much of a breakfast-eater and a light lunch is satisfying for me.

If for some reason I'm totally famished though, I'll just eat something. A piece of fruit, some crackers, cup of tea w/milk, a few spoonfuls of ice cream sometimes, etc. Not a big deal to eat a little more than your caloric allowance here and there.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    On my first bulk if I was still hungry, I ate more (hell, most of the time I wasn't even hungry - just greedy) and gained quicker than I intended. Next time I'll be making the effort to stay as close to goal as possible.

As there's a limit to the amount of muscle it's possible to build it's better to stick to the goal you've set yourself IMO.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I guess it depends on what you are willing to tolerate in terms of having to cut fat down the road. If you are ok with the risk of gaining a little extra fat then it's not going to kill you to eat a little more but you should find your discipline in eating and that includes a mix of foods that satisfy you at your goal intake.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I stick to my goals. If I'm still hungry I look at what I ate. Did I eat a lot of grain carbs? Cause if yes then it's no suprisd I'm hungry.
    While weight loss is a simple calories in/ calories out. Being satiated is about mixing those foods the best way for you. I like to eat big spinach Caesar salads because they are delicious, low on calories and very filling. There is lots of volume to the meal so it fills my stomach.
    Same with egg whites. Low calorie so I can eat a lot of them and the volume of the meal fills me up. Mushrooms, and green pepper, the same thing. Yummy low calorie volume fillers.

Find your yummy low calorie volume fillers to add to meals to flesh them out and you won't be hungry any more.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Some days I am hungrier than others, I look at the overall week and try to aim for my calorie goal that way. You might have 2600 one day, then 2400 the next etc. If I am hungry though, I eat. I am pretty much always hungry though so I am a bad example!
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Trust the calculations, especially if you are trying to pinpoint maintenance. Science does not lie. Simply change food choices to more satiating options.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Some days I am hungrier than others, I look at the overall week and try to aim for my calorie goal that way. You might have 2600 one day, then 2400 the next etc. If I am hungry though, I eat. I am pretty much always hungry though so I am a bad example!

Sounds like me