Max Gainz

Hi!

A little background about me:

I'm a female (5'6", currently 124 lbs and 104 lbs LBM) looking to do my second bulk. Last year I was way too timid and gained a whopping 6 lbs (4 lbs LBM) is 20 weeks. Ugh. I just started eating in a surplus last week (about 300 cals/day above TDEE). I know my TDEE to be fairly accurate as I've ben maintaining my current weight for about six months now. My lifting is good--I'm doing a 4-day split: chest and back; quads, glutes, and calves; shoulders, lats, bis, and tris; and deadlift and hamstring day.

My question is this:

I had bought creatine last year but didn't end up using it. So, with this product sitting in my cupboard, I'm wondering if I should use it to try to maximize any gains I can make this year.

Thanks guys and gals!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    more calories- more gains.

creatine can help you power through the *kitten* end of a workout- and you'll get more water retention- but I wouldn't really rely on it for extra gainzzzzzz.. unless it's a mass builder with a high calorie content.

eat more. Use it if you want- but log the calories- but don't expect miracles from it.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    more calories- more gains.

creatine can help you power through the *kitten* end of a workout- and you'll get more water retention- but I wouldn't really rely on it for extra gainzzzzzz.. unless it's a mass builder with a high calorie content.

eat more. Use it if you want- but log the calories- but don't expect miracles from it.

Thanks--definitely no miracles expected, but looking for any slight advantage. If it improves my lifts even just a little, it's worth it. Lift big, eat big. I packed away about 3500 calories yesterday...just kinda happened LOL. My TDEE is around 2300 and I'm trying to stay around 2600 cals/day for now--will obviously reevaluate as time goes by.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Creatine will slightly increase your ability to lift heavier loads which translates to more weight moved every workout. Moving more weight is more muscle micro tears which equates to more gains (if in calorie surplus and recovery is good). Bottom line, if you have it, use it. 5g. per day everyday.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    I have creatine sitting in my cupboard too. Got the extra few lbs water gain but didn't notice a difference with the weights so I stopped using it.

No harm trying it again obviously but don't you find the extra food is enough to give you a good boost while bulking?
  • PwrLftr82
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I have creatine sitting in my cupboard too. Got the extra few lbs water gain but didn't notice a difference with the weights so I stopped using it.

No harm trying it again obviously but don't you find the extra food is enough to give you a good boost while bulking?

Yeah, but as a woman (because putting on muscle is so difficult already), I'm interested in any advantage (short of steroids!) no matter how slight to give me an edge. My last bulk was kinda pitiful and I'd like to not repeat that!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    3laine75 wrote: »

Yeah, but as a woman (because putting on muscle is so difficult already), I'm interested in any advantage (short of steroids!) no matter how slight to give me an edge. My last bulk was kinda pitiful and I'd like to not repeat that!

that has a lot to do with the fact you have to really really be committed to putting on weight and its' easy to trick yourself that you're gaining with that first jump in weight when it's really just glycogen replacement that usually causes it. It's REALLY easy to sabotage yourself. and the you get stuck not adding much weight at all.

I would set a time frame- windows if you will- I was shooting for 6 months- but I need to at least make 4. I wanted to quit by 3. But i had to make it at least till 4.

I made it to 4- started seeing even new gains- and pushed through to 5 months. I put on just shy of 20 pounds. it was worth it to fight through- but you have to not get excited about that first five pound jump- then lay off the calories. It's going to happen. If you don't gain any more in 3 -4 weeks you have to up the calories.

It's hard- but you can do it!!!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Diet and Training should be goal #1

Creatine is a valid supp, and can be used, assuming Diet and Training are on point.

I use creatine myself.....just finished up what I had last week....but I am in no rush to buy more.
    If I think about it, then I might get some, but I am fine with or without it.
  • PwrLftr82
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Creatine is a valid supp, and can be used, assuming Diet and Training are on point.

I use creatine myself.....just finished up what I had last week....but I am in no rush to buy more.

That's kinda how I was thinking. I mean, I already bought it last year and it's just sitting on a shelf.
  • MityMax96
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »

That's kinda how I was thinking. I mean, I already bought it last year and it's just sitting on a shelf.

post workout with carbs seems to be best for uptake of the stuff

most studies i have seen

so ur call if and when u take the stuff
  • MityMax96
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I know the protocol says to load it out the gate but many people will tell you that the initial load just isn't necessary.

agreed
  • PwrLftr82
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When you say whopping 6 lbs in 20 weeks are saying that you were unhappy with that number? As in to much? I think that is a solid number.

Like the others stated, you'll get 100% muscle saturation which is obviously a positive even though in the end you dump the water. And on average I think I see people saying they see a 5-10 lb increase in weight lifted. It's the one product I would say try it if you want a see how you like it, especially considering that's it's so cheap to begin with. And in your case you already have it. Last year I was going to supplement but decided to just eat more and lift more without it.

Also keep in mind that around 30% of people are non responders to it. I know the protocol says to load it out the gate but many people will tell you that the initial load just isn't necessary.

Thank you for this. Worst case, maybe I'll have a placebo effect LOL

I'm a little disappointed in the 6 lbs. I think I was too nervous as it was my first bulk that I wanted to minimize my fat gains, though I also minimized my muscle gains as well. After my bulk, though, I never did a cut, just ate at maintenance for about 8 months and doing a slow recomp. Weight is the same, but dropped body fat slightly and increased LBM very slightly. This time I'm all in.

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I get a big difference in my muscular endurance in Crossfit WODs depending on whether or not I am currently using creatine. I also lift outside of CF and I figure if I can tie it to increased muscular endurance in CF, it's probably what's helping me get in an extra set or a few more reps when I'm lifting in the gym. All those things eventually turn into gains. I don't load. When I go off it, I don't get a big weight drop either and I don't gain when I go on it. I know individual people respond differently but for me it's an awesome bang for the buck. My only problem is I do get more muscle cramping in yoga and gymnastics from it.