Smoking

So i started smoking a year ago. I remember my first few days as a smoker, i was thinking "hey this is making me less hungry!", also foolishly thinking that I can always stop. Then it became heavy, I am going through a pack a day now. The reasons to quit are obvious, but my biggest one is not health, or the money i'll save, or to bring my taste buds back to life. It's that, ironically, i find girls who smoke unattractive, and the habit is very repulsive.
So, former smokers, or the ones who are in quitting process right now, i have a few questions for you: do the cigarette cravings EVER go away and what can I possibly do to not gain weight from metabolism that slows down and increased appetite?
I already work out and watch my calories, but I'm scared that once i stop i'll just give in and eat.
Any help is much appreciated.

Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    A little over 5 years ago I joined a gym and 3 weeks later quit smoking. I never gained any weight.Today on a good day I can run 3 miles in 27:00. I will always be a smoker,this is not my first time quitting.Lets just say I am on a good long break.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    so the cravings never really go away? :/
    I am glad to hear you never gained any weight, good job!
  • katecwall
    katecwall Posts: 3 Member
    Hello love!!
    I quit smoking a little less than a year ago. I was at my absolute heaviest and needed a complete lifestyle change, so it was pretty different than your situation. For me personally, I still crave every now and then, especially while i'm driving.
    And although it sounds too easy- I find the best way to stop the craving momentarily (for me) is by keeping mints, gum (regular gum, not nicotine- that stuff is crap) or a bottle of water in my car at all times- since that is where I crave the most.
    If you are motivated enough to quit you can do it! And trust me, workouts become a whole lot more fun when you can actually breathe during them :)

• I smoke off and on, generally 1/3 of a pack a day when I am smoking.
    I've never had trouble breathing or any trouble with exercise at all.
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.
    The cravings never really go away, which is why I still smoke......
  • I quit smoking 3 years ago. I smoked since my teenage years (quit when I was 40). I still think about smoking. Even have smoker dreams every once in awhile. However, it was soo difficult for me to quit that I don't think I will ever go back. But, I am just one cigarette away from smoking a pack a day. I know I can't smoke socially. I sure wish I could! :) I don't think the feeling ever goes away, but it isn't like I obsess over it constantly. I don't think of it every day or even every month. I gained 15 lbs when I quit, but I was okay with it. Now I have 20 lbs to lose. I don't regret it for a minute!
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    I quite smoking about two years ago, minus the occasional when out for drinks with friends. Because, like yourself, I was aware of the potential to replace one habit with another, I was careful to plan my days as well as my meals and keep busy. Idle time will be your worst enemy. Good luck!!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Do stuff that makes you want to quit smoking, like running and stuff. At least that's how I quit.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I quit in March of this year. I don't have cravings. I do have that micro-instant when getting behind the wheel, or sitting down at my computer, when I automatically begin to reach for the cigarettes...but I stop myself before the motion has even really begun. Habits are hard to break. But I very rarely even think about it beyond that, except when I'm around someone who smokes, and then it STINKS OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I SMELLED LIKE THAT!! The smell of other smokers reminds me constantly of why I quit.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Everything in moderation

5b3d26504b13a29b4accedcdf09ee4b1.jpg
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    I smoke off and on, generally 1/3 of a pack a day when I am smoking.
    When I'm taking smoking breaks I don't gain wait at all if i keep up my regular food and exercise routine.

Not yet.

You smoke to keep the cravings away? Really? You do understand that you are inviting a variety of noncommunicable diseases such as lung and pancreatic cancer, myocardial infection and emphysema, right?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited November 2014
    I quit 7 years ago using Chantix. I still think about smoking every day and if a pack wasn't $6 and it didn't cause cancer I would probably start again tomorrow. I loved everything about it.

I also gained 40lbs when I quit smoking. Then I gained another 25 lbs from having kids. I've lost 35 lbs so I still have quite a way to go.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    I used an e-cig so I wouldn't replace smoking with eating. It partially worked. I did gain weight, but I would do it again in a heart beat. At first the cravings were fierce, so much that I would avoid going out, or even walking to close to a smoker...it was too tempting. But now, if I go out, I take my e-cig, and I can "smoke" socially, and I dont miss it as much. Now I hardly even use the e-cig otherwise, but it is great to have when I have had a stressful day and start to feel tempted. While my craving have not gone away completely, they have diminished greatly. I have gone without a single puff of a cigarette for 163 days :)
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    E-cigs. Do it. I use an iTaste MVP with menthol juice. It even charges my iPhone.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member

Not yet.

You smoke to keep the cravings away? Really? You do understand that you are inviting a variety of noncommunicable diseases such as lung and pancreatic cancer, myocardial infection and emphysema, right?

You do realise you are replying to an ADULT who is fully aware of the implications of smoking. How patronising and rude
  • Jaffsa
    Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
    Hi there!
    I quit a little over 2 months ago! I used a vape and weened my nicotine level in my "juice" down every week until I hit 0mg. I now only use the vape (with 0mg of nicotine) in social situations. I smoked for 12 years.. first time trying to quit but I dont crave them often. When I do, I just distract myself and it goes away in moments.
    Also, I did not gain weight.
    Good Luck!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited November 2014

Not yet.

You do realise you are replying to an ADULT who is fully aware of the implications of smoking. How patronising and rude

I'm not speaking to the OP, I'm speaking to IAteAllTheVegans.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Faye, lots of adults in this world are not aware of much.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    OP, cold turkey quit while you're ahead. It will probably be the most difficult thing in the world but it has to be done.

This. There is little research that proves e-cigs help individuals quit smoking. Save your money.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    I quit a year ago and I only rarely want to smoke anymore. Rarely, and it passes quickly. I had been smoking for nearly 40 years (like enterdanger above, I loved everything about it) and quitting was hard, hard, hard, but I did it cold-turkey and without any chemical help. Every time I wanted a cigarette, I would take 3 deep, long, slow breaths until the craving passed. Yes, I gained some weight, but I have lost it and much, much more. Quit now. Quit now. QUIT NOW! Do not rely on anything outside of yourself to eat less.