Linzess?

Options
Hi!
I have have had such a battle with "going to the bathroom." I have tried everything Miralax (which worked until I had to up dosage and made me bloated and sick), Smooth Move which has now stopped working, and Senekot (which I had to take a large quantity of to actual work.) I am fed up because these issues have been persistent since 2010. I get a good amount of fiber, drink water as well as coffee to help, and eat healthy with tons of fruits and veggies. I have been extremely dependent (i'll admit, have abused) Sennokot and now am pretty much now unable to go without it. I was thinking of trying Linzess, has anyone had any experiences with it/side effects or have been in my position and found something that works?
All I want is to go to the toilet regularly and not feel bloated and sluggish 24/7
Thanks!

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    As Linzess is a prescription medicine, I'm assuming you are undertaking this decision under a doctor's care?

• chaarlotte289
    chaarlotte289 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    As Linzess is a prescription medicine, I'm assuming you are undertaking this decision under a doctor's care?
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I am seeing a doctor this week and going to bring up the medication to her. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it or the issue at bay.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Chipotle and wall sprints. Also, a magnesium supp.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Constipation can be a sign of thyroid or other health issues. It may be wise to bring up any other symptoms you may also be having. For me movement is a key to staying regular. If I sit around all day (difficult not to do with a desk job), I have trouble staying regular.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I also suffer with constipation. I have IBS and other health conditions. Chronic constipation could be an indicator of an underlying condition, you MUST talk to a doctor about it. Stop taking OTC meds and get prescription ones. Too much fibre may also be the issue. Fibre acts like concrete in the bowels and only makes us regular if it's combined with fluid. Coffee is dehydrating and won't help. Talk to a medical professional.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking magnesium citrate?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Magnesium always does the trick for me. The medication I take constipates me terribly.
    I bought a product called colon-cleanse last week and works great!! It is basically magnesium Oxide, not Citrate ;-)
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're going super low-fat, that might be contributing to your problem as well. Are you anywhere near your fat macro?
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I take natural calm (magnesium citrate) twice a day and that took care of my constipation issues I had.
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Linzess did nothing for me. It's extremely expensive, even with insurance, and just made me bloated and sleepy. I experienced no positive results after my month trial. it's a $900 prescription per month and I had to pay $175 out of pocket for it. Waste of money and most people experience no results or diarrhea on it. Stick to zero laxatives of any form, water, exercise, whole foods, and be PATIENT! your constipation won't be cured overnight after giving up laxatives.