Autoimmune disease + trying to keep fit/lose weight

Any tips for which sorts of foods I should be eating at which times of the day, to help keep fatigue at bay but also something which is easy to prepare? I have bad joints and bad fatigue and I'm trying to lose 11lbs (9lbs now!) and exercise, but have to be realistic about the periods when I could be exhausted.

What food help stave off tiredness? Or at least doesn't induce a huge crash?

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Hi!

I am a type 1 diabetic (an autoimmune endocrine disorder), and I found that choosing foods lower on the glycemic index scale (brown rice instead of white rice, whole fruit instead of fruit juice, etc.) helps avoid annoying "sugar crashes" and keeps my blood glucose relatively stable. Keeping hydrated has also helped in warding off severe fatigue (though I am still addicted to coffee).
  • hnahlu
    hnahlu Posts: 12 Member
    Oh perfect thank you :) Should I opt for brown bread then, and brown pasta too?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Not just brown--100% whole wheat. It's good to become a label reader! :smile:

Try quinoa or amaranth instead of rice. Way more nutritional bang for the buck (and you prepare them the same.

I have hypothyroidism. I eat 5-6 mini-meals a day, typically, and try to keep the protein high. I do have a job that works with this schedule. And I usually drink a couple protein shakes a day (one when I work out).

Works pretty well for me, but it took some tinkering and time to firgure out what worked best for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I have several autoimmune diseases, and one of them includes pretty bad fatigue as a symptom. I always make sure to work out first thing in the morning to get around that problem. I also make sure to eat a high protein, low glycemic diet, and I avoid processed sugar to keep blood sugar crashes from happening. I also only eat whole grains in small amounts.

I still need naps most days, but I'm old ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Doesn't it depend which autoimmune disorder you have eg for some arthritic conditions there is anecdotal evidence that gluten free can help, for others nightshade avoidance

I am not suggesting you do either
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    When you are tired rest and do easy 'exercises' like stretches to help relax the muscles around your joints - you probably have tenseness associated with the feeling tired and crappy (I know I do since I'm a Type A personality). When you are feeling a little more energetic work a little harder, brisk walk, pool exercise - deep water running, cardio circuit with light weights added, whatever you can handle. I also am staying lowish carb and higher protein and for me personally I must be gluten free to deal with my IBS/Fibromyalgia/Arthritis. It helps my joint pain, my fatigue levels, and sleep patterns immensely.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    hnahlu wrote: »
    Any tips for which sorts of foods I should be eating at which times of the day, to help keep fatigue at bay but also something which is easy to prepare? I have bad joints and bad fatigue and I'm trying to lose 11lbs (9lbs now!) and exercise, but have to be realistic about the periods when I could be exhausted.

What food help stave off tiredness? Or at least doesn't induce a huge crash?

I have active systemic Lupus ( with chronic fatigue and chronic pain ) and RA since I was at university more than 40 years ago and for the last ten years have no thyroid and am on heavy doses of cortisone. Unfortunately there is no specific diet that deal with autoimmune diseases ( unless you want to try the anti-inflammatory diet that helps some people and not so much others ) and not one that provides energy specifically.
    I have learned by going to an autoimmune disease group for a few years that different things work for different people. However, there are some ground rules:

eat a healthy, varied diet ( learn which foods to avoid )
    exercise ( according to capabilities )
    get enough rest
    develop a support system
    find a doctor you trust
    learn to manage your disease in terms of lifestyle, emotions, medication and activity

When I started MFP last year on April 10th, I was still walking with a walker, then with a cane. I started to walk for exercise with a cane and managed about 5 minutes ( not including the four flights of stairs, since I live on the 4th floor ). I walked that time for about three weeks and then increased by one minute every few days, or once a week if I was not feeling well. In June a started to walk without a cane ( which I used for balance ) and still do. Two days ago I walked 75 minutes, today, due to my energy level, I walked 45. But I never walk less than that.
    I had to learn to re-think my situation and change from " I have a serious disease and therefore can't do this" to thinking " even though I have health problems and am past 65 I still can be fit for my age/circumstance and do the best in my situation ". I also had to stop comparing to how I was weight and health wise 40/30 or even just ten years ago.
    I also should mention that I lost 55 pounds since I started here.

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    I've got SLE and RA, been through thyroid cancer and kidney failure. My only advice is to NOURISH your body. Don't give it junk and things that come out of wrappers. Whole grains, healthy fats, solid proteins. I can always tell when I might need to take a look at my diet because I'm sore and tired. Fixing that alleviate a LARGE majority of my symptoms. With exercise, start out slow and do what you can do. But, you're going to have to push yourself just a little bit every time you do it. Go for one more minute, one more tenth of a mile, one more lap. It builds up, and eventually the tiredness stops and the soreness is what you feel when you don't get your exercise. Stay in close contact with your doctor, too.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    I think everything has pretty much been said as far as food goes. I have serious problems with overtraining when it comes to exercise after recovering from a debilatating bout of mono-nucleosis. I end up going cold and battle with fatigue quite easily. I now use a pedometer and it really motivates me to get moving. I walk 10000 steps a day without breaking into a sweat ( I don`t push my heart to beat faster) and wearing my work clothes and flip-flops. I put it on when I wake up and take it off when I go to bed at night. I`m losing weight consistently and its the only program that has not sent me backwards into overtraining mode. I started with 5000 and worked my way up to 10000 gradually and its become a breeze for me. I don`t know all the limitations that you have, but a slow amble of 5000 steps a day to start with might be a good way to begin. My Mom suffers with Fibromyalgia and a heart condition and she finds 6000 steps quite manageable. Ask your doctor to be on the safe side though.
  • hnahlu
    Yeah I have SLE so glad to hear from others who have it too, as well as everyone else! Will read through everything now x
  • hnahlu
    I have regular physio sessions with a physio who is so so so supportive, and we've started me on swimming a little bit, in a bid to build it up. I've also started doing 15-20 minute bursts of cardio at the gym because I had to quit going to the gym years ago when my right knee went really, really bad (hence physio) and I miss it. Trying to build it up.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    good luck with your journey - as long as the motivation is there you`ll definitely succeed. All the very best to you :-)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    it might be worth going to see a functional doctor. they can suggest tests to find out where your food tolerances are, and work out a plan to get you healthier.

I listened to a podcast recently by an author - Dr Karrazzian (he does a lot of research for thyroid and Hashimotos). And, I believe he has a website that gives Functional doctors contact info of people who have Hashimotos training.

Good luck!
  • It is hard to offer exercise advice for SLE since it depends on what organs are affected.
    The two nutrients you should be looking at are B-complex vitamins and Iron which both come from any type of meat or fish.

The best advice has already been mentioned, exercise first thing in the morning, and with SLE, obviously the less sunlight the better.
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    avoid sugar, it causes inflammation
    along with the sugar are the refined carbs, white foods, pasta, bread, rice, cakes, etc.

I have RA and have cut back on the sugar and refined carbs and feel better.
    My doctor said to strength train to build up muscles to support joints
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I have ulcerative colitis and proctitis which thankfully is now in remission. However, I still deal with body inflammation, particularly in the upper body - shoulders, arms and upper back. I have to eat 4-6 mini-meals throughout the day to keep feeling my best and I always make sure there is at least one anti-inflammatory food each time.

I cook with grapeseed oil as it has a higher smoke point than other oils, including olive oil. Olive oil I use for salads only as it will oxidize at higher temperatures. I also use coconut oil for almost any purpose. Pineapple, berries and cherries are my top fruits because they give me a sense of well-being and tamp down inflammation, especially in the gut. Nuts are a daily staple and I typically create my own mix of almonds, walnuts and pecans. Most of all, I eat salad a lot and make it as colorful as possible using whatever fresh veggies are in season. It is the best way to ensure I get enough of my veggie quota for the day. I go easy on the grains and sugar. I avoid dairy unless it is real butter or raw milk as it always does a number on my gut, as a rule.

I could go on and on about the diet part. I go to the gym 6 days a week and ensure I get my 10,000 steps in daily. Early a.m. is the best time for me and I give my workout a boost by drinking a small cup of coffee with only a little monk fruit sweetener. It seems that the caffeine helps warm my muscles up quickly so I am not so sore during my workout.
  • hnahlu
    Re: what's been affected. So far, my joints are super bad and I used to often have quite bad chest infections. It looks like my kidneys and pelvic area are affected now.

I've made a point to avoid foods which bring on stomach pain/nausea for me, because I get that quite bad with SLE anyway - am on omeprazole - and would love to not have that worse :) I avoid coffee, as much dairy as possible - have cut down on cheese! - and try to avoid lots of alcohol/fizzy juice which is just good to do ANYWAY.