Not Enough Calories

I am not eating enough calories. I understand this so i don't need a lecture on that.

First, i am very sedentary. I have abdominal muscle damage and 2 bad disks in my back. I have days where i can't stand or walk. Other days you wouldn't know that there was anything wrong with me. I want to reduce my fat and increase my mobility.

Initially i was consuming lots and lots of calories from soda and mega spoonfuls of sugar in my massive amount of morning coffee. I switched to Splenda to free up those calories for more nutritious food but now i am finding it difficult to eat enough.

Yesterday i attempted to add a smoothie to my lunch rather than more food but then the smoothie filled me up and i ended up not eating the meal i planned. When it came time to eat dinner i still didn't want that much food. So then i planned on adding another smoothie to fill in the calorie deficit but i didn't want it.

I wanted to add an exercise bike ride to my daily routine but i have sort of put that off since i am not eating enough.

A little background. I have always had a problem with over-eating and/or under-eating. I am working hard to find the balance. If i just up the amount of food i am eating i could very easily make myself sick but if i keep going like this i will not get better. And yes, there is a history of actually diagnosed and not self diagnosed eating disorders. I was hospitalized. It made things worse.

Also, i have about 33 more lbs to lose so i have a fair amount of time to get this sorted out. I have a realistic goal of 130-135 lbs for a 36 y/o 5'4" woman. This is not an unhealthy weight for me.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?
How did you mentally find the balance?
Anyone have any tips or tricks that they found successful?

Replies

• I had difficulty in being a bit under my calories in the beginning until I really learned the caloric value of what I was eating. Now I stay pretty close. Having said that, since your disorders have been medically diagnosed in the past, I would check with your doctor and tell him/her the results you are going for. It sounds to me like you would do good with a well regimented diet and exercise plan prescripted by a dietician or nutrition expert. I would think, at least in the beginning, there would be no way to over or under compensate if you were just flat out told what to eat and how to exercise with your more limited mobility.

However you choose to go about it, I wish you nothing but success and hope you feel better soon!
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Thank you.

I really like the idea of following a preset plan. Don't people usually go back to what they did before?

I do plan on making an appt with my Dr but i have a feeling that i will get the usual. I have just enough insurance to go to my PCP for her to tell me that my insurance won't cover anything.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    I sometimes have this problem as well. In fact, yesterday I managed only 700 calories because I was running around all day. I eat 5 smaller meals everyday. Well, weekdays, that is. I workout on weeknights and use the weekend to repair/rejuvenate/relax. So I don't wake up early enough to eat all my calories on the weekends, usually. In any case, smaller meals won't fill you up as much. Make sure you don't "get full" when you eat them so choose things that are more calorie dense, like proteins and healthy fats. Things like chicken breast, turkey breast, seafood, peanut butter, nuts. If you have oatmeal add some raisins or dates to increase the calories. Start eating at 7am and eat every 3 hours. That'll put your last meal at 7pm. I don't eat within 2-3 hours of going to bed and don't eat high carb foods at night (just my choice because it's worked for me for fat loss).

I eat higher carbs on workout days and lower carbs (but higher fat to make up for it) on non workout days. It's really worked. I'm 47 and have lost 33lbs since September 21. I borrowed some techniques from some bodybuilding books and mags I have read. I yo-yo'd in the past (never as much as I did this last time; I gained 80lbs when I broke my ankle!). So unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with losing weight and working out, lol. The key for me this time is too not "stop" when I reach my goal but to make this a lifestyle change. I am "enjoying" the journey and committing to changing for good.

Like you, I have done the over and under eating thing. I seem to have a problem binging on candy. I once had a "diet" where I only ate food that was lowfat. So that meant I could eat tons of candy and did so, even for dinner! It actually worked but I wouldn't recommend it! Not a whole lot of nutrition going on there!!!

One last thing: You said you have held off on exercising since you aren't eating enough. As long as you are medically able to workout, I would. It probably will increase your appetite and you will want to eat more. Hunger ("real" hunger, not boredom) is your body's way of telling you it needs fuel. When you expend yourself on exercising your body will tell you it wants food. And, again, if you eat smaller meals you won't ever feel so full that you can't eat anything. Just spread out the meals.

What are your caloric and macronutrient goals everyday/week?
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    FortWildernessLoopy Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think it depends. Whenever I try to cut out a food group, I fail miserably. I know it's different for everyone, but this logging all day, every day is the only thing that has helped me get control and eat what is required. Here's your TMI for the day: I gained weight very rapidly after I got married and thought it was because, with a man in the house, I was eating far less healthy than on my own...which was true, but I also had a large turmor growing on my uterus. Long story short, it got to be almost 2lbs when they removed it (along with my uterus and an ovary), 9 months later I had to have a large panel of mesh 'installed' due to a massive hernia. Anyway, exercise was virtually impossible for me. My metabolism was at a standstill. I started by just plain old losing weight. I wasn't even ATTEMPTING to exercise in the beginning until I could move without pain which is why I suggested talking to your doc. Anyway, I found out I can eat whatever I want, as long as the numbers mesh. I am the substitution queen; greek yogurt instead of sour cream, cauliflower instead of potatoes, neufchatel instead of cream cheese, etc. I still indulge in chocolate, fat, and sugar, it's just in more moderation and I removed soda pretty much from my diet except as a treat. I exercise now with no problems but on days I hurt a bit, I just walk. Your body doesn't care so much as long as you're moving!
  • CarrieCans
    I copied this from my diary page. I currently have MFP figuring it out for me.

Calories 1,200
    Protein 60
    Carbs 150
    Fat 40
    Sugar 45
    Fiber 25

I haven't been too focused on the macros yet. I figured i need to get the calories up and then figure out the specifics. I have been trying somewhat to up the protein though.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I often have trouble eating enough calories, but I'm really active. I'm sorry you have so many problems and anyone who is determined can succeed by focusing of what they can do instead of what they can't.

I feel like a broken record, but I have to recommend water exercising for anyone with physical difficulties. I suggest you talk to your doctor, although most medical people are not familiar with aqua exercising in this country. However, it's one of the best ways people with limited mobility can improve without stressing your body.

• CarrieCans
    I think it depends. Whenever I try to cut out a food group, I fail miserably. I know it's different for everyone, but this logging all day, every day is the only thing that has helped me get control and eat what is required. Here's your TMI for the day: I gained weight very rapidly after I got married and thought it was because, with a man in the house, I was eating far less healthy than on my own...which was true, but I also had a large turmor growing on my uterus. Long story short, it got to be almost 2lbs when they removed it (along with my uterus and an ovary), 9 months later I had to have a large panel of mesh 'installed' due to a massive hernia. Anyway, exercise was virtually impossible for me. My metabolism was at a standstill. I started by just plain old losing weight. I wasn't even ATTEMPTING to exercise in the beginning until I could move without pain which is why I suggested talking to your doc. Anyway, I found out I can eat whatever I want, as long as the numbers mesh. I am the substitution queen; greek yogurt instead of sour cream, cauliflower instead of potatoes, neufchatel instead of cream cheese, etc. I still indulge in chocolate, fat, and sugar, it's just in more moderation and I removed soda pretty much from my diet except as a treat. I exercise now with no problems but on days I hurt a bit, I just walk. Your body doesn't care so much as long as you're moving!

This all sounds very familiar to me. I had a partial hysterectomy (just uterus removed) about 5 years ago because of tennis ball sized tumors in my uterus. Then i had a couple of BAD hernias repaired and a huge piece of mesh was also added in. I understand the exercise being impossible. I still get swollen belly if i do a lot run the vacuum for too long or other things like moving furniture.
  • astrose00
    I'm "only" eating 1200 calories as well. But I really "spend" my calories well. I knew my shopaholic ways would pay off! I will add you as a friend (if that's okay) and you can see what I'm eating. I would not necessarily suggest the same for you since my meals ensure I'm NOT hungry and that doesn't seem to be your problem. Plus I eat lots of protein in an attempt to maintain my muscle mass as I lose fat. But that requires lots of strength training and water.

I would talk to your doctor or even a nutritionist because with so many carbs, I'm surprised you're not hungrier. Are you sure it's not your mind playing tricks on you? I sometimes wonder how I ever got fat if I am not hungry all the dang time. I used to eat junk even when I was stuffed and now can't shove a piece of chicken, small yam and kale in my piehole when I'm not stuffed? I know it's partly mental for me. And with so few calories there is no way I am overeating. So I make myself to eat the meals I have planned. I actually have my blackberry alarms set for each of my daily meals.

Good luck!!!
  • astrose00

Love your story. Thanks so much for sharing it. And I'm very glad you are okay and here to tell everyone about it.
  • SWELLY BELLY! LOL, And here I thought I was the only one!
  • CarrieCans
    I often have trouble eating enough calories, but I'm really active. I'm sorry you have so many problems and anyone who is determined can succeed by focusing of what they can do instead of what they can't.

I feel like a broken record, but I have to recommend water exercising for anyone with physical difficulties. I suggest you talk to your doctor, although most medical people are not familiar with aqua exercising in this country. However, it's one of the best ways people with limited mobility can improve without stressing your body.

No pity please. I don't feel sorry for me and don't want anyone else to. But thank you.

I know about aqua-cising! i absolutely love water activities of all kinds. The only indoor pool in my area closes for most of the winter because of the expense of maintenance. It's a sad thing. I will have to see if i can find somewhere else in a reasonable distance. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • CarrieCans
    SWELLY BELLY! LOL, And here I thought I was the only one!

Hyster-Sisters Unite!!! lol

I've heard it can take a very very long time for the swelly belly to go away but im ok with it. *sigh*
  • astrose00
    I developed GERD and a hiatal hernia over the past two years. In retrospect, I think it was all weight-related. In fact, after losing 30+ lbs, I no longer have the symptoms. I don't even take the meds anymore and my GI said I'd have to take them forever. Pity she didn't just tell me to stop overeating and take my *kitten* to the gym! And would you believe my gym is downstairs in my livingroom, lol?

Do you think your issues might improve as you lose weight? Are you feeling better than before? I know I am.

Are you still losing weight at your current level?
  • CarrieCans
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I developed GERD and a hiatal hernia over the past two years. In retrospect, I think it was all weight-related. In fact, after losing 30+ lbs, I no longer have the symptoms. I don't even take the meds anymore and my GI said I'd have to take them forever. Pity she didn't just tell me to stop overeating and take my *kitten* to the gym! And would you believe my gym is downstairs in my livingroom, lol?

Do you think your issues might improve as you lose weight? Are you feeling better than before? I know I am.

Are you still losing weight at your current level?

I am certainly losing weight. I lost about 5 lbs from august to november just by convincing my bf to stop bringing home 2 or 3 candy bars for me every time he went to the store. He is an enabler and likes to feed me because to him food = love.

I started logging on MFP on Nov 10th and since then i lost about 12 lbs. That's 4 lbs a week.

In some ways i feel better but i noticed that i am getting more headaches than ever. They aren't migraines, i get them when i stress myself out too much. I just had a round of ovary pain that lasted 2 days and now it's gone. I don't get a period so i can't track any cycles to know for sure if hormones are doing anything. My "sugar" is fine. Years ago i had some hypoglycemic type issues. My sugar would get really low and i would have "spells" but lately it continues to hold steady around 95 and my biggest spike was 109.

• astrose00
    edited November 2014
    I lost 4-5lbs a week when I first started. It's about 3lbs a week now. I know that is also fast but I workout a lot. As long as I have energy and am not hungry, I am fine. I take vitamins and eat really healthy stuff. Some people can't understand the 1200 calorie "diet" but when I look at their food diaries it's spattered with chocolate bars, cake and other stuff I just refuse to eat. A cup of egg whites is 100 calories and is a lot of food. A candy bar is about 400 and is not a lot of food...

I can totally dig the food=love thing. For me food = fun. Whenever friends and family get together food is such a big part of everything, it actually takes over the fun. This TG was so different. We made smaller batches of everything and I stuck to my regular eating. No junk or empty calories. I didn' t stuff myself and we all sat around talking, laughing and watching television. It was the best TG we had in years. We usually have just small group dinner with my sister, mom and nephew.

I was never diagnosed but I used to feel like I was going to pass out if I didn't get sugar immediately. A few times, I'd be in the supermarket, hadn't eaten all day and things would start going gray. I would have to grab a chocolate bar and eat it while waiting on line to pay. When I eat healthy, I don't ever feel like that. It hasn't happened in years. For one, because up until September I was overeating. And since then I eat really healthy.

I definitely think you should (or could?) consult with a nutritionist or MD but it seems like you know yourself and aren't doing anything unhealthy. If you think the weight loss is too fast, just eat some higher calorie foods. Maybe lean beef/pork instead of chicken? Dried fruits and nuts. Move to higher fat and protein over carbs (but make sure you are drinking plenty of water) and you will get your calories up. I say higher fat AND protein because I generally stay away from high fat / high carb (e.g. french fries) foods. If my food is high fat, it's also low carb (e.g., nuts). If it's high carb then it's low fat (e.g., oatmeal). Low carb / low fat is fine (e.g., lean protein or air, lol)!

Do you see what I'm doing? I'm procrastinating... I have to go eat now. Sigh.

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    See your doctor. Get a goal weight and a total calories per day. Get cleared to exercise. Get a referral to a dietician. Find a therapist who specializes on eating disorders and see them. If you hate them, find another.

You have way more going on than a few posts on a message board will be able to solve or even help much.

It sounds like you were too skinny at some point. Do not allow yourself to enjoy the things that will suck you back in, like fasting or that light feeling. And never, ever skip a meal.

You are in control of you. You can make yourself as healthy or as unhealthy as you choose to be. Get some help! That's what smart people do when they need help - they get help.

Good luck to you!!!
  • CarrieCans
    Thank you Kalikel. I do plan to make an appt with my dr. She isn't in until Tuesday. On Mondays her and her husband do volunteer work at a clinic.

I am aware of some of my issues but i am also aware that i don't always see or do things right. 2 years ago i added lunch to my routine and it has stayed that way. Before that i only ate 1 meal a day unless i was around other people. A baby step, time for another step.

I know that no one here is going to be able to give me a solution but i absolutely appreciate suggestions from people who think different than i do. I am really good at saying that everything is fine and that there's nothing wrong. Posting here means i can't deny it. I put it out there.

• berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    follow some cool recipies that you can sit and eat wherever you go. like chocolate coconut protein balls quick n easy to make and will boost the cals if you dont feel like eating big meals.