WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy hump day!!
    Looks like we`re gonna be moving.Not sure when or where.
    hugs
    jane
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    Good Morning ladies. Last night was a better night food wise. Still over, but better then the ones before that. Today I am working to do better. Not giving up.

Barbie--Thanks for getting us on track with the new month. I had alittle trouble figuring out how to get here, but made it.

Heather--I agree it is amazing when I find myself doing things that a year ago I would not even tried. Means we are getting better with age. Thanks
    for sharing the picture. They all look so happy, hope it stays that way.

Welcome Cathy--you have found a great group for support and friendship. Come often and jump right in.

Meg--Sorry to hear about DSIL. Hope they get things done quick and she feels better. Glad to hear Nikita is doing well. Prayers sent for DD to feel better and get the Thank yous done. I am big on them also.

Mimi--Beautiful picture.

Terri--Great job on the hats.

Allison--Sorry to hear DFIL is not coming back to fast. I pray he does get better. Glad DH is ajusting to eating better. Prayers about your kidney tests and not more bad news.

Diana--Congrates on your NSV.

Rita--Good for you pushing yourself to the gym. One Day at a time.

Carol--Good picture

Sylvia--Congrates on the new low numbers.

Barb--How wounderful to share that with your DGD's. We try and take atleast one of the DGC to the giving tree and pickout a name. Then we bake cookies and giveaway. This year I would like to take some to the homeless people that hang out at the library.

Robin--sending hugs.

Well I have a terrible headach and thinking of just going to bed when I get off work. Why does the past have to kick us in the *** when we are not expecting it. My DSD's mom is in the hospital here and sounds like she is more then likely not going to recover. So at lunch today DSD and her sister come to have lunch with DH and I. I am not even for sure how the subject of birth certificates come up. Anyway they tell us that on DSD's it list her sister dad as the father. Now DH and her mom were never married, but he signed papers and we paid child support for 17 years. We just thought no father was listed on the birth certificate. DH said it has been 32 years ago, but it bought up alot of bad memories for me and now I am so p****! I know I am not even being close to being reasonable. Thanks for listening.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • javano
    javano Posts: 1 Member
    Hello from SD. I am glad I found this group. I am new to MFP. I previously did WW and lost 28 lbs. I have been in maintenance for 7 years. I have started to notice a creep up in weight and want to stop it. My goal is to lose 5lbs. for our annual beach vacation the end of January.

December goals
    Log every bite
    Exercise 4 days a week
    Drink 8+ glasses of water
    Limit Caffiene & Gluten (I would also add sugar & alcohol but it's the Holidays :smile: I will add those next month. :wink: )

Julie
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Good afternoon! Very cloudy, damp but not too cold today. Everytime I come on here I realize how far behind I am on Christmas; way too busy the end of last month. Have to start saying no and I have just done that. Told the other women in the exercise group to do the phone calls to our remaining members for our birthday/Christmas luncheon; I did make the reservation, though, because I know where I want our party to be seated. Both last year and the one before I was sick in the weeks or days right at Christmas; hoping not this year. I tripped coming down the stairs over the hem in my pants and jarred my right knee this am on my way to the gym. Have taken a Tylenol ex. strength, so far not helping. It's always something!!! I felt so lucky to not have injured anything when I slipped and fell in the mud with that stupid turkey last week.

Katla..........How nice that you are keepng the hummers; let us know if they continue to stay.

Robin..........Hope your new meds help you find your balance again!!

Cheryl.......Your new horse looks very nice. As Katla said, I also hope he's sweet. I'm glad your DD is doing well emotionally; esp. since ours are close in age, I've been thinking of her and wondering how she was.

DD popped home for lunch before going out to the show barn. She had been working with the city's police dive team this am.

Tina.......Nice to see you post.......I'm an evening snacker too; seems to be a lot of that around here.

pip.........Love your dogs!!!! So gorgeous!!! Major congrats on that 5K first place!!! Very sorry to hear of the terrible loss your husband and glad you've found someone.

Sylvia.......OMG!!! Those cats!! Busy day for you, for sure!

Sassy.........Absolutely super view of your beautiful town!!! Lovely photo.

Had a "down" day yesterday; very sad and melancholy; missing those who have gone and days and times long done. Called my cousin as his mom had been my favorite aunt and we are coming up on the anniv. of her death. Still a little off today but better.

Doing banana bread and ham and bean soup this afternoon.

Hello to all I've missed.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Thursday, rained all night and still raining. Washed all clothes in basket and drying in lounge room.
    Day 4 week 2 of Jeannette Jenkins' 15 week challenge, whole wheat breakfast burrito for lunch. Need to buy more Mission wraps next Tuesday. Roast chicken for dinner tonight. 1965 cals for day
    Today is Pilates and Circuit B for training, going to bedroom soon to train. 346 cals.

Posted all my Christmas cards on Tuesday and got 3 from Stan's family in England yesterday.

I LOVE Jeannette's food and plan is easy to stick to.

November was a strange month. I started Jeannette's 6 week ab challenge and did 4 weeks then switched to her 15 week challenge. Saw the dietitian and doctor who are pleased I am doing Jeannette's challenge and logging my food. See them again in January

December plan:
    Stick with Jeannette's 15 week challenge
    Write my shopping list on Mondays
    Bake stuff needed for desserts on plan and make double helpings of lunch meals where needed
    KEEP AWAY from toxic neighbour and do different walk nowhere near her house
    Walk dog every day even if raining and around our own woodland tracks
    Keep house clean, keep up with ironing, do more gardening

Lesley in Tasmania
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited December 2014
    9g47zzy6dyvs.jpg
    This is Mildred beagle having a snooze
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    Love the pic of Mildred Beagle, these puppies have a tough life huh?
    Joyce, Thank you so much for caring about me... yes I am being stretched a little thin, and you know what ? I think I will be fine down in Florida.. I do sooo enjoy ti down there, and my DB,DSIL and her mom will be down for 4 days ,so looking forward to that..
    I will keep in contact with the nursing home, and I trust that they will keep in contact with us...
    I am a bit nervous about the ultrasound of the kidneys, as I havent had one in 18 yrs, but I have to accept the things I cant change so away we goooo..
    I have gotten this far, and trying to take care of myself, granted I havent been doing such a hot job lately as I am taking care of so many others , I know I know, I have to take care of myself too. I promise ,I am going to relax down in Florida..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    <3 Pip, I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and so uplifted by the story of the new many in your life...also your dogs are awesome. I walk my frisky poodles for exercise....they get me out first thing in the morning no matter what the weather.

:D Terri, you are braver than I am with pizza.....I know how to eat no pizza at all and I know how to eat enough pizza to make me sick but I am incapable of moderation so I stay away from it entirely.

smiley-cool05.gifHeather, I am so glad to hear the happy ending of the little girl coming back from the Philippines. Your family is very fortunate.

smiley-cool05.gifCheryl, great picture of you on your horse.

smiley-cool05.gifyanniejannie, good for you getting to the gym in spite of your injuries

smiley-cool05.gifLesley, MIldred Beagle is adorable and she looks so comfy.

:D Saw my primary care doctor today (she's a new doctor for me) and she was happy about my lab work and my weight so I won't be seeing her again for a year.

smiley-bounce016.gifWe have spent a bit of time programming phone numbers into the new house phone....now I wish someone would call so we could hear the caller id announce them.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    hello, stats for the day, long version:
    Ride home to gym- 11.52 minutes 14.9 average miles per hour, 3miles
    Spin class- 35 minutes, 84 average revolutions per minute, 127 average watts 11-15 gear, 14.6 miles
    ride gym to tacoma dome train station- 6.39 minutes 12.8 average miles per hour 1.4 miles
    ride tacoma dome train station to home- 17.30 minutes, 9.2average miles per hour 2.7 miles

thanks for liking my pooch pics, they are the bomb i must admit.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Just went to the deep water class today. Decided to go to WalMart to see if they have a shirt/fabric that I could use for the elf outfit. I did find a t-shirt, even tho I got a medium (it would have to be taken up in the arms) it really isn't any loser on the bottom than the one I have. I think my best bet would be to buy new material and have a new outfit made. But I can't seem to find the material. Yesterday at Rummikub a woman gave me a big box of candy for the soup kitchen. I told her I was working at the Green Room but in looking at the calendar I'm not this week. However, I'll go to the soup kitchen just to get that big box out of my trunk.

Tomorrow's plan is to do the DVD Transform your Body by Brooke Burke.

After exercising, stopped at the Salvation Army (didn't see anything) then went to help a neighbor by volunteering to serve chili. She has a chili & pottery fundraiser every year for the church. You pay $15, get a piece of pottery and a bowl of chili. They had spicy, chicken, vegetarian, and regular chili. I sampled a bit of each so if I do it next year, at least I know what I'm talking about. Then I went to the home of the lady who does sewing for me, we decided that two of the t-shirts I bought were going to go back, I'm going to hold onto another one but I might wind up taking that one back, too. Then went to Bi-Lo for some crab, had a coupon for potatoes that I'll donate, and exchanged the boxes of mini-wheats. They were the tiny bites and Vince likes the regular mini-wheats. That was something else that I wanted to get out of my trunk.

Cheryl - you look so pretty and what a majestic horse you have there

We had another gal teaching the deep water today. Honestly, I wasn't impressed with her teaching. She had all these new moves, and they weren't very cardio. I don't know, I'm not crazy about doing something new all the time, your heartrate gets up if you keep doing the same thing over and over.

Wish I could get Vince working on Christmas shopping

flowerbaby - welcome. Where in NM are you?

Cynthia - thanks for the smile about you great grandfather

Robin - I wish only the best for you

pipcd - I'm so sorry you had such a rough time but you have an excellent outlook on things. I LOVE those eyes of Floyd

Terri - can you take the one slice of pizza and cut it in two? Then you'll (maybe) feel like you're eating two pieces.

Sylvia - happy birthday to you gs. Cute joke

Julie - welcome. Which beach do you go to?

pipcd - impressive stats!

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    cafn9pdk49ib.jpg

Some of your haven't seen pictures of my frisky poodles, Brandy and Sasha, who take me for long walks every day
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2014
    I love the puppy pics! Mildred Beagle has such a perfect name. I've seen Brandy and Sasha before, and love to see them again now. I love dogs and would be lost without mine. My dog is in the picture of me. His name is Schooner, (pronounced Skooner.) He's a Keeshond and 7 years old.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Good morning Everyone heading out the door to physio, will catch up with you all when I get home. :)

Did want to share that I am down 1.5lbs ...YaY Me!! :D
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Barbie, are those standard poodles? They look big. I just love the expressions that dogs have in their eyes. Also the body language. And I absolutely love the language my tortie cat does when she 'talks' to us

I got a card in the mail today or maybe I was finally reading my mail, not sure. Anyway it was a card from Kohl's reminding me of the 50% of sales for Dec 2nd and 3rd. And seniors had an extra 15% off!!!! So off to Kohl's we went. I still hadn't gotten my 'couple' gift that I had drawn for Christmas. I know it's kind of bad for me but I always like to draw my sister's name. Her and I are here in the same town and I feel like I know her better. She never could tell me what they needed so I got her daughter to feel her out. I felt bad doing it but Jenny said that her parents really need towel sets. They gutted their kitchen about 15 years ago and she is still using the same towels and wash cloths in there. So with everything at such a deep discount I bought 2 complete sets of towels and some kitchen towels. Because for most of the couples need to keep the spending limit to $40 for a couple I stayed just a tad over that. I wish I could spend more than that for my sister, especially since that is the only one I am buying for, but that's the suggested parameter. I feel sorry for my youngest daughter. She has the name of her cousin that was engaged to this wonderful girl. They have 2 wonderful children and one on the way. Then he decided that his NA, narcotics anonymous, sponsor felt like he was telling Matt that he needed to 'find' himself, he up and left her! They are remaining friends. But Michelle now has to buy 2 gifts since you really can't buy one, I mean who gets to keep it? I guess it could come with visitation rights. Or maybe give it to her and he could use it when he comes to see the kids. And Michelle is the only single person on the couples exchange list. The lady that I have is a widow who has dementia!!!! But she is my brother's mother in law and they moved in with her so I am sure that they will be doing the buying. Last year was the first time she was with us at Christmas and she surprised all the ladies with hand made embroideried pillow cases. It relaxes her and she has drawers of them. I wold love to have her make guilt blocks for me and I quilt them. I would give it to my sister in law for a gift.

Tonight in choir we did our whole Christmas cantata in it's entirety with all the narration and extra instruments in between. Tonight she let us sit during the instrumental and narration. Next week we will stand during it all and she will determine which she likes the best. I know it will look better if we all stood the whole time because we have to stand very evenly at her move for us to stand. But most of the choir is in the 60's or above and we don't all stand evenly. I takes different members different lengths of time to get out backs stood up. It can't be perfect. But as it was the area between y shoulder blades was really aching after the 2nd song. You have to hold your notes so long in cantatas. I lived for those short times I was sitting. Next week we try standing the entire time. I may have to remind her of the pastors sermon about contentment. You give what you can, do your best and God will make it wonderful and you have contentment that you have done your best and then let God take over from there. But I am new in the choir and don't really think I can talk that frankly with her. Then we practiced out trio for one last time and I think we have it down pat. I told the director that my MS was trying to be the boss today. The pianist has MS also and she had already told her how tired she is this week. Only a couple more weeks!!! We sing on the 21st!

Trying something new in my diet tonight. My box of Kashi Go lean crunch is empty and I did not want to buy another one. It is to much distration to me and has now become a habit of eating and extra serving of it. It tastes to good!! Quite a problem huh??? So I went to the store and searched out just plain flax seed. Uh, that just didn't look good. So I found this bag, kind of looks like cereal. it's made of flax, quino and something else. It's called natures path mesa sunshine flakes. Put it in cottage cheese with pineapple. Hmmm, not quite sure of it yet. But it was a big size bag so I am stuck with it, I tried one cereal flake and I don't think I will have any temptation to eat it by itself. But my husbands Life cereal i in there. Oh the problems us women go through just to look decent and get more energy. But I have a daughter who used to not even want to talk to me and she thinks I am awesome for what I do. And my other daughter is now trying very much to do clean eating.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member

Well this is my posting after reading 3-4 days of your posts.... how do I get so behind?

Tngram2seven – I’m not yet over 60; but I think 12lbs since july is worth a celebration!

Cynthia – good luck on getting all healthy and staying that way ---

Michele – I can do 11 seconds – have done it 3 days, but can’t yet get to 12….

Alison – glad you found the group!

Sylvia – I could not get the video to work either; and I know how you must feel; but really I did not see what you saw; I saw a creative person working on her art; you were involved! And while that pic may not have done you justice, I am sure that same shot at the same angle 2 years ago would have shown you a far heavier person!!!

And the quotes from you show an interesting and thoughtful person!

Monica -Welcome

Kitty – welcome – walking is a good start to exercising… it is cheap and can be done anywhere!

Barbie – THANK YOU for keeping us going!!!!

Heather – I so love and am so refreshed by your point of view on exercise – as while I rather like my daily walk with Levi, I don’t like it when the weather is inclement and I don’t like the new floor exercise I have added it; but like you I love to eat!!! Also so pleased to hear what a help with the moving you were and how you felt the difference!

DeeDee – love the mental picture of a sparkly house!

DrKatieBug – been working on the fiber thing too… good idea to make it a goal.

Cathy – welcome! I am in N. California – is it raining by you?

Meg – Thank you’s are important to me too; but far too many seem to see it as optional…

Sue – great on walking so much…. I should check on my fitbit and see how much I have walked in a month….hmmmm

Mimi – what a stunning picture!

Michele – a 4p –wow I think I was a toddler when I was a 4p…

Barbie and Terri - how talented you are with the hats!!!

Diana – Great NSV
    Carol – great new picture!!!

Robin –sending you a ((((hug)))))

Sylvia – AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pipcd34 – great pics - beautiful golden!

Barb from S. Louisiana – what a great tradition…

Cynthia – LOL at “The current theory is that he was dropped by a spaceship to mate with earthlings.”

Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: thinking of you.

Joyce: I was making a family tree on Ancestry.com and noticed how much I appreciated the cemetery photos that were available on Find-A-Grave.com. So I decided to start contributing a bit myself.

Allison: glad to hear you are trying to take care of yourself!

Robin: hope you will be feeling better soon.

Cold here; around freezing. Doing some loose ends for work today. I got a mail that there should be some concrete job information soon. Great; right before Christmas.

For those wondering about British Christmases: I found a video. :)http://digg.com/video/how-to-have-a-british-christmas

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah Cynthia - I watched the video and it's all true! I expect you were wondering why I was making mince pies! :laugh: (not meat) . The only thing that may not be true is that these days most people don't have a chimney to burn letters to Father Christmas. The compulsory wearing of the paper crowns throughout Christmas dinner is very true. How many photos have I got of Christmasses past with elderly relatives decked in crowns. :laugh:
    - Do have a look everyone.

My stats todsy for the ellipticsl/cross trainer:
    I did 20.1 mins and went a mile. I averaged around 3.3 mph at 15 resistance, so uphill. My heart rate, taken towards the end, was 134. I burnt 135 calories.
    Total for all machines was 533 calories. I then did 25 minutes strength training for which MFP gives me around 80 cals (haven't checked yet) So 613 cals today - Hooray! :bigsmile:

The good news is that I have lost my "indulgence" pound and now I'm back at my target weight! ! ! ! ! !, , , , :drinker: I'm going to carry on as I am for a bit as I would like a couple of spare pounds for all the Christmas nonsense. :bigsmile:

Today we have the painter, the wallpaper man and the guttering man. Our guttering has been pouring out water for ages, especially by the living room where it comes over as a waterfall on top of the water butt and makes a racket and by the front porch where it cascades all over the security light. I'm amazed it is still working! ! ! ! ! More expense, but essential. :sad:

Going to make game stew today and save most of it for dinner with DS#1 after Christmas. For him I might put a pastry crust on it, but we will have it with swede (orange turnip) mash. Lovely!

Love to all. Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png

My ticker is now completely truthful. :bigsmile:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,748 Member
    Good Morning!

Giving my best effort these next two weeks to keep my diet choices in control ... see my physician next Friday for routine visit ... a very good motivator!

DS#2 is dealing with another migraine seige ... sigh ... hasn't been in school yet this week. We see his neurologist on Saturday and will have to discuss the school attendance problem. Hoping we're not at the point of home tutoring ...

Feel like I'm behind with the Christmas preparations ... and it's only December 4th! Not sure what that's about, but I feel rushed and sort of perturbed by it? I'm really having to work at feeling the joy and anticipation the season should bring and this is not like me at all.

My KitchenAid mixer arrived! DH and I made sure all parts were working correctly ... honestly, you should have seen him explaining to ME how to use a mixer! This from the man who can't figure out how to make canned soup. I just nodded my head ... "yes, dear" ... and thinking "get out of my way!" :) He's convinced I'm going to maime myself with the thing.

I've been reading all your posts and I want to tell you all again how much I enjoy hearing about your lives. You're an amazing group of women!

Beth

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    Good morning!!! Making Christmas progress.......wreath on door!
    Must run into town to insurance office and finish up paperwork on the car insurance change: Geico to Allstate.......with very significant savings. I would urge everyone who has been a customer with the same company for years and years to at least check out what another company can offer in the way of comparable coverage; wish I had done ths ages ago; I have come to the recent conclusion that all companies become complacent once they have you for a long period.
    Knee is still "off" but getting better; we'll see what the day brings. Mood is still off too but this does happen now and then; must drag myself out of the hole.

Lesley.........Ohhhhh, Mildred beagle is so cute, just want to hug her. I have two sister beagles that look like her (Abby and Sally) in a home across the street.......both sweet and friendly.

Michele.......Hope you find your elf outfit; I do think having it made might be your best bet on fitting just the way you want.

Barbie.......Loved seeing Brandy and Sasha again......their faces are sooooooo expressive!!! You can just tell by looking at them that they have abundant energy!!!

Sassy.........Yes, YAY!!!!! on your loss!

Cynthia.........All my fingers are crossed on your work issues for you; like any of us need more stress at this time!!! Best of luck to you. I very much enjoyed the video (thanks!!!) and got pulled in to many more while there........do you think maybe that tendency may be why I can't get stuff done around here, maybe????????

Heather......YAY for re-reaching your target weight; you are really great at that!!

Beth......OMG!!! Oh, Beth, I laughed out loud sooooo hard at your DH/mixer story.....esp. the "get out of my way" part.............so true!!!!

Hello to everyone I missed.
    Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS In case you were wondering..........Ebola, which mainly out of our (US) news these days (kind of lost its popular tv media following), is still killing many:
    New York Times article says that new cases in Sierra Leone have topped over 600 in each of the three weeks up to 11/25. In Freetown, the capitol, the number of cases has quintupled in the last two months.
    For those who are new to the thread; Ebola is a disease, which, as a nurse, I was interested in and have been following since the early 80's. I remain astounded at the slow response last spring to contain it this time around; as of Dec. this outbreak is one year old.

• barbiecat

smiley-cool05.gif Katla, thanks for pointing out the picture of Schooner....what a beautiful dog

smiley-cool05.gifJoyce, yes, Brandy and Sasha are standard poodles...they are actually smaller than most at 38 and 50 pounds. I walk them individually in the morning and together in the afternoon.

:D Breakfast is finished and dogs are staring at me waiting to go walking....they each had a short walk before breakfast to "do business".....I take them each out for a longer (30-45 minute) walk after breakfast. On mornings when they don't want to walk as long, I go out by myself after I bring them in. With the icy roads, we've had to limit our walk to going around our block and the dogs don't like it as much. It's warmer today so maybe we can venture farther.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.