What happens if you don't eat much fruit and vegetables?

So I don't eat much. I barely eat some everyday. I don't really like them very much but I'm afraid this can... kill me? I mean, I may be sounding weird but, do you need fruits and vegetables or they can be overcomed with vitamin supplements or anything?

Replies

• NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    The only way I ingest fruits is with granola bars and vegetables with some frozen dinner or when I cook I add potatoes or carrots sometimes.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2014
    If you're on a cut, and it appears you are, eat your veggies. They help with satiety cuz they are calorie sparse.

• NarwhalofNight
    If you're on a cut, and it appears you are, eat your veggies. They help with satiety cuz they are calorie sparse.

Yeah I know but I still don't eat much of 'em. I ate a cliff bar once a day for desert and there was alot of vitamin in that and I'm afraid if I stop eating them I can get vitamin deficiencies.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    In the long run eating no vegetables or fruit is not good. You are an adult now so you need to do the grown up thing.
  • NarwhalofNight
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    In the long run eating no vegetables or fruit is not good. You are an adult now so you need to do the grown up thing.

Yeah... vegetables are ok not to hard for me, it's more about fruits. :\

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Vitamin supplements are certainly important if you are missing out on your fruits and veggies, but they may not be enough to cover the lack of nutrients. There are thousands of trace micronutrients in food, and many of them work synergistically, making source an important issue to consider.

I don't care for vegetables much, but I try to get in four or five servings a day (try to; not saying I am 100% on this yet), with at least 1 serving of leafy greens. If I really can't get them in, consider juice, but remember it's much more calorie dense so limit your portions.

Bottom line, you probably won't die from a lack of fruits and veggies; in fact there are a lot of people who get very low quantities based on preferences or availability. But you will benefit in terms of your overall health and wellness if you can find a way to start sneaking them in. I put baby spinach in my protein smoothies and I can't even taste a difference.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Deficiencies in fiber and multiple nutrients.

There are people who swear by cutting carbs, others who swear by cutting fat....You know how many sensible people swear by cutting out vegetables? ~crickets~

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yeah... vegetables are ok not to hard for me, it's more about fruits. :\

That's better!! Yay!! I thought you meant no veggies, fruits on the hand aren't not that necessary.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    What is the issue specifically? Do you not like fruit? Or have you just not tried different kinds? Also, expand your vegetable menu. Try different things and different cooking methods. Try them raw first. I'm sure you'll find they aren't nearly as bad as you think they are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'd be miserable. Filling up on veggies (I rarely eat fruit) is what prevents me from being hungry most days. I can't even think of anything else that is as filling for the calories.
  • NarwhalofNight
    Vitamin supplements are certainly important if you are missing out on your fruits and veggies, but they may not be enough to cover the lack of nutrients. There are thousands of trace micronutrients in food, and many of them work synergistically, making source an important issue to consider.

I don't care for vegetables much, but I try to get in four or five servings a day (try to; not saying I am 100% on this yet), with at least 1 serving of leafy greens. If I really can't get them in, consider juice, but remember it's much more calorie dense so limit your portions.

Bottom line, you probably won't die from a lack of fruits and veggies; in fact there are a lot of people who get very low quantities based on preferences or availability. But you will benefit in terms of your overall health and wellness if you can find a way to start sneaking them in. I put baby spinach in my protein smoothies and I can't even taste a difference.

I see. So I should worry abou vegies and not to much about fruits? I mean, I can eat some almond and cherry bars like 1 or 2 times a day. As for vegetables, I will try adding more. Also, would V8 low sodium juice be a good idea?
  • NarwhalofNight
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What is the issue specifically? Do you not like fruit? Or have you just not tried different kinds? Also, expand your vegetable menu. Try different things and different cooking methods. Try them raw first. I'm sure you'll find they aren't nearly as bad as you think they are.

I don't eat raw fruit. I mostly eat granola bars with fruit that is it. As for vegetables, I eat them not too badly, I like way more vegies than fruits. Actually, I don't eat fruits at all, I feel like the texture and the taste is not good or like ok. Hard to explain.
  • NarwhalofNight
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'd be miserable. Filling up on veggies (I rarely eat fruit) is what prevents me from being hungry most days. I can't even think of anything else that is as filling for the calories.

I see... I only eat carrots but it's not taste satisfying.
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    There has to be one fruit or vegetable you like. Good spaghetti sauce is all veggies. Fresh salsa or guacamole is all veggies. Sweet potato with butter all over it? Fruit salad? Just be creative.
  • NarwhalofNight
    synchrony7 wrote: »
    There has to be one fruit or vegetable you like. Good spaghetti sauce is all veggies. Fresh salsa or guacamole is all veggies. Sweet potato with butter all over it? Fruit salad? Just be creative.

As a matter of fact... I eat my pasta without sauce.... :) But yeah, like I said it's more about fruits that I don't eat. I can easily eat baked potatoes or carrots. It's really more fruits I don't like much, should I worry much about fruits or vegetable is enough?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The added fiber is good for your digestive tract. You are missing out on vitamins and minerals. Take a supplement until you get this figured out.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Your taste receptors from long misuse may only recognize "salt" and "sweet" if you only enjoy fruit in your snack bars and carrots have no flavour to you.

You won't die from your choices. My bet is your complexion will be a little more pasty-faced. Not a mortal injury.

I think you need to broaden your experiences and find new foods to love.

If the texture of fresh fruit is annoying, try different fruits. Go for grapes, raspberries, and watermelon. If they are in season they will taste even better. Buy only a small amount at a time and eat within a day or so. I saw an idea today to roll grapes in sugar-free jello and freeze them.

I like the salsa and fruit salad ideas too.
  • MakePeasNotWar

I see. So I should worry abou vegies and not to much about fruits? I mean, I can eat some almond and cherry bars like 1 or 2 times a day. As for vegetables, I will try adding more. Also, would V8 low sodium juice be a good idea?

It honestly never occurred to me that someone might like vegetables more than fruit, lol. Have you tried putting frozen fruits in to smoothies and blending them? I prefer mine that way, but to be honest, I don't dislike raw fruit, so I don't know if that would help you. Dried fruit is great too, like the cherries in your granola bars, just beware of the higher calorie density

I can't say for sure it would totally mitigate the lack of fruit, but eating a broad range of vegetables of different colours (sounds weird, but it's actually true - the phytochemicals that give produce their colour are often the same or related substances to the micronutrients they contain), you should be getting a lot more nutrients than if you stick to just a few. A lot of veggies contain the major vitamins and minerals usually attributed to fruit, for example peppers and tomatoes have tonnes of Vitamin C, and potatoes contain potassium.

As for the low sodium V8, be aware that it still has a lot of sodium, just less than the original. Figure it out in the context of the rest of your diet, and if the sodium fits (it does for me), you might as well go for it. I believe the current guideline is 2300mg if you have no hypertension or other medical issues, and 1500 for older adults and borderline hypertensives.
  • NarwhalofNight

It honestly never occurred to me that someone might like vegetables more than fruit, lol. Have you tried putting frozen fruits in to smoothies and blending them? I prefer mine that way, but to be honest, I don't dislike raw fruit, so I don't know if that would help you. Dried fruit is great too, like the cherries in your granola bars, just beware of the higher calorie density

I can't say for sure it would totally mitigate the lack of fruit, but eating a broad range of vegetables of different colours (sounds weird, but it's actually true - the phytochemicals that give produce their colour are often the same or related substances to the micronutrients they contain), you should be getting a lot more nutrients than if you stick to just a few. A lot of veggies contain the major vitamins and minerals usually attributed to fruit, for example peppers and tomatoes have tonnes of Vitamin C, and potatoes contain potassium.

As for the low sodium V8, be aware that it still has a lot of sodium, just less than the original. Figure it out in the context of the rest of your diet, and if the sodium fits (it does for me), you might as well go for it. I believe the current guideline is 2300mg if you have no hypertension or other medical issues, and 1500 for older adults and borderline hypertensives.

Alright I see. For the tomato juice, I can easily manage my macros, so should not be any trouble to take a V8 once a day. You know how much a can of V8 represents in term of like servings?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    I always get the small bottles because to be honest, I don't care for it a lot. I believe they are considered equivalent to 1.5 servings, but you probably want to check to be sure. Now that I think about it, I believe the brand of vegetable cocktail I drink is Motts, and it tastes better (to me) than V8.

There are also fruit/veggie hybrid juices available. Might be worth a try?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,494 Member
    So I don't eat much. I barely eat some everyday. I don't really like them very much but I'm afraid this can... kill me? I mean, I may be sounding weird but, do you need fruits and vegetables or they can be overcomed with vitamin supplements or anything?
    Clogged up pipes or constipation is consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png