55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »
    Nana, I'm 60 but in my head I'm 45.
    The days and weeks will pass whether I eat or exercise or not, so I may as well write a better story.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about! I love the way you put it! Let's write a better story! I think it helps if your thinking runs along the line of I want to instead of I need to or I have to. Getting and staying healthy is one thing we can do for ourselves without guilt, though it's hard for many of us to put ourselves first in anything and not feel guilty! You can't be the best for anyone else if you don't take care of yourself!

@cory17 Today is as good a day as any! Go you!
    I have a 70 year old sister whose favorite quote seems to be "I can't" and she's right now because she's been saying it so long and living it so long that she's lost muscle tone and quit trying a long time ago, but she could if she just would. Muscle grows from use. I am not an exercise fanatic, but I do believe fully in use it or lose it. I just don't want to lose it all and be unable to use it anymore. I still have things to do!

• SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sunna, wow. Thanks for the fodder for thought.

I went through easy menopause (one day my periods just stopped, no other symptoms) ten years ago at 50 but my tendency to be heavy has been lifelong. I think I just love food and haven't burned the calories I've eaten. The most stress I've ever experienced was a year ago, and I think it's what caused my pancreas to attempt suicide. I practice not permitting stress to become physical ever again, and I'm healthy now except for these excess pounds (which are steadily vanishing because of my change in behavior). I think the conventional wisdom regarding why I carry excess weight is accurate.

My bff has done similar research to what you've posted and gets treatment accordingly (she went through menopause by age 30 because of treatment for cancer) and it's great for her. She also thinks we women are wrongly told what's causing our issues. I think it's wise to advocate for our own health.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Just finished a year of logging my food and exercise on MFP. Gone from 278 to 186 - 92 pounds! I can't believe it! I am almost 56 and had resigned myself to being a "big woman". Instead I am in the best shape I have been in in 30 years, with a simple, free tool I can use for the rest of my life. You can do this!!

5krut6jhvd3g.gif
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    (snipped by reply-er, for length)

In my opinion, what the medical establishment has done to women is shameful. To tell us that all we need to do to lose weight is have more self-control / eat less and exercise more -- and if that doesn't work, then, we're weak willed and lazy, is just wrong. I have known instinctively that something was wrong with my adrenals, because adrenal issues and thyroid go hand in hand, but, I never really saw anything definitive anywhere.
    (more snipped)

Sunna, I'm sorry to hear that you've been through all that - how frustrating and discouraging! And I appreciate your sharing this information for others to consider.

For my own part, though - just my n=1 - I have to say that despite being obese nearly all of my adult life, truly all I needed to do was eat less. (I didn't even exercise more, particularly - I was already active.)

Each and every one of us has a different story, and different roots of our being overweight. We need to explore a range of possible causes and solutions - your info will be very helpful to many in that regard - and we each need to find our own path to better health.

I hope everyone in the group can accomplish that!

Thank you for generously sharing your experience and research.
  • littlewomensmom
    littlewomensmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks retirehappy !! Made my night
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, what the medical establishment has done to women is shameful. To tell us that all we need to do to lose weight is have more self-control / eat less and exercise more -- and if that doesn't work, then, we're weak willed and lazy, is just wrong. I have known instinctively that something was wrong with my adrenals, because adrenal issues and thyroid go hand in hand, but, I never really saw anything definitive anywhere.
    Anyway, my opinion, it's not us -- we're not weak willed, and, we're not fat, and, sick and, tired, because we are weak willed. We are fat, and, sick and, tired, because we are sick to death of being stressed out!

O M G. How true is that? I had an older male doctor for many years. In my mid-30's a gained 40 lbs (5 lbs a month for 8 months) on this drug that he prescribed to prevent migraines (it didn't work, I still got migraines)...and when I told him about the weight gain (he said NOTHING to me about it at my appointment), he said, "well, you should probably lose that weight..." Nothing else. I told him I'd like to stop taking the meds because they weren't working anyway. He reluctantly agreed. When I was 40, I talked to him about being tired and not having energy (this is at an annual checkup)...he brushed it off, telling me that I was getting older, going through menopause, and not much I could do about it....I didn't know any better...I'm an engineer, not a doctor. Finally, he retired. I got a new doctor, his replacement, was a woman my age. IN MY FIRST VISIT she ran some simple tests and fixed all my problems. She had me cut down on my sodium...my migraines vanished...she gave my Synthroid for my low thyroid levels and told me to take a Vitamin D supplement to bring up the level of Vitamin D in my blood. She told me I needed to lose weight and told me how. I went through menopause last year with no symptoms at all (that I know of). And I feel GREAT!!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree; some make docs really miss the boat when it comes to helping women. Had to have a bio on my left breast back 25 years ago; doc who did it told me I could do a 1.5 mile run (P.T. test) for the Navy Reserve three weeks later (tried to run and my breast swelled up). Had to have a med screening month at the Reserve center before and (thankfully) had a female doc; told her what happened (and what the doc said). She said that was crazy and gave me a three month waiver.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Do you ever feel like we should ask the doctor that's treating us exactly where in his class he graduated? You know just like every profession, there's the cream of the crop and the barely made the grades. It is really quite frightening to feel like you are putting your life and your health in the hands of John Q. Whoever and just hope for the best. It's kind of sad we have to do so much research to participate in our own healthcare, especially when we pay so much for that care in the USA. Our family decided a long time ago that no member would be alone in a hospital overnight. We just really feel like someone who is not medicated should always be present. We've prevented incorrect meds from being administered more than once.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that's scary! @1Nana2many
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Totally agree! It's sad that we have to educate ourselves before going to the dr. I prefer to see a PA; most have several years experience (and some even have the education to go w/it).
  • tina4kids
    tina4kids Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just finished a year of logging my food and exercise on MFP. Gone from 278 to 186 - 92 pounds! I can't believe it! I am almost 56 and had resigned myself to being a "big woman". Instead I am in the best shape I have been in in 30 years, with a simple, free tool I can use for the rest of my life. You can do this!!

That's awesome, congratulations! I'm curious.... How did you lose your weight? Counting calories or carbs? I'm trying to lose, but having a hard time sticking with it!
  • SalinitySally
    Options
    Anyway, my opinion, it's not us -- we're not weak willed, and, we're not fat, and, sick and, tired, because we are weak willed. We are fat, and, sick and, tired, because we are sick to death of being stressed out!

O M G. How true is that? I had an older male doctor for many years. In my mid-30's a gained 40 lbs (5 lbs a month for 8 months) on this drug that he prescribed to prevent migraines (it didn't work, I still got migraines)...and when I told him about the weight gain (he said NOTHING to me about it at my appointment), he said, "well, you should probably lose that weight..." Nothing else. I told him I'd like to stop taking the meds because they weren't working anyway. He reluctantly agreed. When I was 40, I talked to him about being tired and not having energy (this is at an annual checkup)...he brushed it off, telling me that I was getting older, going through menopause, and not much I could do about it....I didn't know any better...I'm an engineer, not a doctor. Finally, he retired. I got a new doctor, his replacement, was a woman my age. IN MY FIRST VISIT she ran some simple tests and fixed all my problems. She had me cut down on my sodium...my migraines vanished...she gave my Synthroid for my low thyroid levels and told me to take a Vitamin D supplement to bring up the level of Vitamin D in my blood. She told me I needed to lose weight and told me how. I went through menopause last year with no symptoms at all (that I know of). And I feel GREAT!!

My son is a doctor. He's very funny and loves to remind us that half the docs in the country went to the bottom ranked schools and half of all docs were in the bottom of their class. My mom had a doctor like yours and was so in awe that he was an MD (not suggesting you're like that!) that she refused to find someone else until hers retired. I'm very happy for you that you found a gem. Fwiw my male doc is like your new one---so maybe it's generational?
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Utah, it may be generational; who knows. I found a doc I like and have stuck w/him for several years. You need to go where you feel comfortable; it they don't make you feel that way you need to find someone else. There are some good ones out there; they are just hard to find. B)
  • SalinitySally
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Utah, it may be generational; who knows. I found a doc I like and have stuck w/him for several years. You need to go where you feel comfortable; it they don't make you feel that way you need to find someone else. There are some good ones out there; they are just hard to find. B)

100% agree. We have instincts for a reason!
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy doctor. She told me in November that I was overweight (176, ht. 5' 5, age 67) and Prediabetic. She put me on Metformin and said I should lose weight. Started logging in here, and by mid-Feb. had dropped to 163. I told her I had been losing a pound to 1.5 a week and she was horrified! Told me to stop losing weight, or at most 2 lbs per month. Said women my age lived longer with a little extra weight! This was very demoralizing. I thought I had been doing so well. I still feel I have at least 15 lbs to go to fit the clothes I have from last year at this time. Should I listen to the doctor and just give up losing weight or keep losing and benefit my mental health?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!