Oatmeal Makes me Hungry

Any time I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving by about 10. Is this normal? I guess I need to add protein or just go back to Greek yogurt for breakfast.

Replies

• Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    I get up at 6 am and usually eat breakfast before leaving for work. I will normally eat 1 cup of plain oatmeal, or mix 1 scoop of protein powder with 1/2 cup oatmeal. By 10 am, I am usually hungry. But I will eat 100 calorie snack of raw veggies at that time. So perhaps it isnt uncommon to be hungry by 10?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    My mom says the same thing. She eats it as a snack instead now. I personally don't have that issue with oat meal though. But I don't just eat oatmeal alone for breakfast. I always have toast and grapes or a banana with it when I have it for breakfast.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    same...I never understand when people say it's a good solid breakfast :neutral_face:
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    What type of oatmeal are you eating? Instant, old-fashioned, rolled, steel-cut? Does it contain any sweetener or sugar? Do you add any fruit? It’s not that unusual to be hungry a few hours after you’re eating - that’s why many people suggest eating 6 small meals rather than 3 large ones. Either find a way to add protein (microwaved egg-whites are easy and cheap, if unsophisticated) or find a snack you can eat at 10. I’d be wary of greek yogurt - it can be a good breakfast, but check how much sugar is in it! A sugary yogurt will leave you just as hungry and craving sweets.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    I have 1 packet of plain oatmeal, two tablespoons P2B, 1 tablespoon chia seeds and mix in either a banana or apple and I stay full until 11:30 when I have lunch.
  • LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    I have the same problem with oatmeal. For me, it doesn't have the protein I need to keep me full for the morning. I have smoothies made with greek yogurt that I drink throughout the morning. It keeps me full until lunch.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    I find steel cut oats much more satisfying than rolled.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Any time I eat oatmeal for breakfast, I am starving by about 10. Is this normal? I guess I need to add protein or just go back to Greek yogurt for breakfast.

Same for me (I eat steel cut and don't sweeten it, since that was asked) unless I add protein and some fat. Last time I had it I added protein powder and ate some nuts and some veggies on the side. (So it didn't end up being less work than my usual vegetable omelet, but was a nice change.)

Instead of protein powder/nuts a bit of leftover meat from dinner or smoked salmon is also something I've done.

When I eat my usual breakfast (or the modified oatmeal) I have about 400 calories and tend to have no desire to eat between around 5 or 6 (depending on when I eat) and when I eat lunch, which is typically sometime between noon and 2.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Same. Even if I put peanut butter in it. I like it as a snack at night.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    add protein and fat
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2015
    I find adding a tablespoon of peanut butter helps, but of course that brings up the calorie count. I know some add egg white, or even a whole egg to it, as well as protein powder also. Personally I find fat more filling than protein though, so it's some peanut butter or even some coconut oil for me. I do follow up my porridge with a few eggs though, so find that helps with making it all a more filling breakfast.

Oatmeal aside, I find carb-rich meals, even complex carbs, can only keep me full for so long. If I really want to keep myself full, I will opt for something rich in fats and protein. That stuff keeps me personally full for a long time (up to 5 /6 /7 hours, as opposed to 3/ 4 hours).
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    I add trail mix and fruit. Also, adding a half cup of milk completes the protein. Sometimes I add a half serving of protein powder - but don't cook it with the protein powder, add it after.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    What time are you eating breakfast? Three hours is an appropriate time between eating meals, so if breakfast is around 7:00, being hungry at 10:00 is about right.

There are times when it doesn't matter what I ate, I'm back in the kitchen in an hour. It's that snacking thing - I could snack a little bit at a time frequently throughout my waking hours (no meals required) if I wanted to be massive. I don't, so I'm doing my best to rein it in.
  • lemurcat12
    Three hours is an appropriate time between eating meals, so if breakfast is around 7:00, being hungry at 10:00 is about right.

Depends on the person--that would drive me crazy.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Three hours is an appropriate time between eating meals, so if breakfast is around 7:00, being hungry at 10:00 is about right.

In what way?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I doctor my oatmeal with currants because I like them, powdered milk, and a dollop of greek yogurt. I am hungry by 10 and try and have a 100-150 calorie snack (diabetic habit).
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    I feel the same way if I just eat plain oatmeal. For me, it's all about the mix-ins! Nuts, nut-butters, eggs, raisins, yogurt, veggies, protein powder, chocolate chips, etc. usually do the trick.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

In what way?

I don't want to have to eat every 3 hours and carry around a bunch of snacks. I can't necessarily fit in a food break that often and I typically like cooked food. So for me fewer, but more satisfying meals work better. (I also don't want to be hungry for 3 or even several hours before meals.)
  • I add 2 TBS of PB2 to up the protein and I add about 100 calories of fruit to up the fiber and my oatmeal tends to keep me full for a good 4 hours or so. I'll sometimes add milk to the up the protein more too.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Fiber+protein+fat=full feeling. Eat with more variety and you'll be good till lunch!