Unexpected results of weight loss

Options

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm only 33lbs down so far so got a little way to go yet, but I've noticed a huge difference in my skin. I used to get little goosebump type bumps on my upper arms that were slightly red, apparently they're down to bad circulation? Had them my whole adult life, not any more! And my boyfriend keeps telling me how much nicer my skin looks- it's all a lot clearer and smoother, although that may be down to diet and not weightloss...

Another thing is not recognising myself when I look in the mirror. I see photos I've taken of myself or catch my reflection and I think 'that cant be me', I still see myself as how I looked/felt before I lost any weight. Hopefully once I've been at a steady weight for a while my brain will catch up with my body! haha
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    Oh so many, what a lovely idea for a thread!
    • No more surgery for endometriosis ( I hope! Last scan showed a reduction in my left endometrioma to way below the size at which they cut them out - good news as this disease has seen me in terrible pain and having major ops!
      • No more hives
      • No more angiodema
      • No more anaemia (the theory behind all this by the way is that excess fat leads to an over production of oestrogen which causes these sorts of heavy period and endometriosis and immune response probs)
      • No more chub rub! No more raw thighs!
      • No more cracked heels!
      • No more asthma!
      • Amazing, increased energy
      • Men flirt with me again!!!!! I really thought I was beyond ever being sexually attractive to anyone
      • New friends from sport
      • New hobbies
      • Whole new lifestyle

Basically my body and mind could not deal with being 4 st overweight and went into mental and physical meltdown!! It's beyond fabulous to be freed of that!

What a great list!
  • lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    I nearly had a panic attack recently thinking I had thyroid cancer or a large tumor in my neck.

Well no. I just don't have a bunch of neck fat covering my trachea. :D

lol that is awesome. I thought I had some kind of bony growth on my back one day and it was my spine.
    That is funny. I was feeling around my trachea too thinking the same thing. I like that I don't have to wear suspenders any more to keep my pants up-evidently I do have hip bones.:)

• rjivory
    rjivory Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are all awesome!!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    I'm only 33lbs down so far so got a little way to go yet, but I've noticed a huge difference in my skin. I used to get little goosebump type bumps on my upper arms that were slightly red, apparently they're down to bad circulation? Had them my whole adult life, not any more! And my boyfriend keeps telling me how much nicer my skin looks- it's all a lot clearer and smoother, although that may be down to diet and not weightloss...

Another thing is not recognising myself when I look in the mirror. I see photos I've taken of myself or catch my reflection and I think 'that cant be me', I still see myself as how I looked/felt before I lost any weight. Hopefully once I've been at a steady weight for a while my brain will catch up with my body! haha

HAHAHAHA! 'ONLY' 33 lbs down.. HAHAHA! ONLY!

Someone post the sticks of butter chart for this girl.

Look back, @KrisiAnnH, Those 33 pounds probably weren't easy to ditch. There is no ONLY. 33 pounds is amazing and YOU are amazing for losing them. Keep up the good work and remember, there is no ONLY in weight loss. A loss is a loss and it is not easy. If it were, everyone would do it.

Haha sorry, I say 'only' because I had a lot more than that to lose, so to me 33 is 'only' about half way there, but I probably could have phrased that better. I'm super proud of how far I've come, so please dont take me saying 'only' as taking it for granted haha, I've worked my butt off for those 33lbs! And I've found a fab site to show you how much you've lost- kind of like the sticks of butter thing (Ilostwhat.com)...apparently I've lost the equivalent weight of a cinder block!

Which brings me onto another unexpected weightloss perk- how much easier it is to move about without all that weight on me! I mean I should have expected it, but you dont realise how much easier things are when you're not huge!

Being just under 40 pounds down myself, I am DEFINITELY feeling this one.

ETA: I totally forgot to say it, I'm such a scatter brain sometimes:

Congratulations on a 33 pound loss! :flowerforyou:
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA! 'ONLY' 33 lbs down.. HAHAHA! ONLY!

Someone post the sticks of butter chart for this girl.

Look back, @KrisiAnnH, Those 33 pounds probably weren't easy to ditch. There is no ONLY. 33 pounds is amazing and YOU are amazing for losing them. Keep up the good work and remember, there is no ONLY in weight loss. A loss is a loss and it is not easy. If it were, everyone would do it.

Haha sorry, I say 'only' because I had a lot more than that to lose, so to me 33 is 'only' about half way there, but I probably could have phrased that better. I'm super proud of how far I've come, so please dont take me saying 'only' as taking it for granted haha, I've worked my butt off for those 33lbs! And I've found a fab site to show you how much you've lost- kind of like the sticks of butter thing (Ilostwhat.com)...apparently I've lost the equivalent weight of a cinder block!

Which brings me onto another unexpected weightloss perk- how much easier it is to move about without all that weight on me! I mean I should have expected it, but you dont realise how much easier things are when you're not huge!

Being just under 40 pounds down myself, I am DEFINITELY feeling this one.

ETA: I totally forgot to say it, I'm such a scatter brain sometimes:

Congratulations on a 33 pound loss! :flowerforyou:

I'm down 43lbs myself , but have been thinking in terms of "only" also. Thank you both for opening my eyes !! When I have so much to go (130 more) and I'm still in the same clothes , it didn't seem like so much. Here lately I noticed that I can do my own peticure and put on my own ankle brace , I couldn't do that 1 month ago !!! So yay me for 43lbs and congrats to both of you !!!!!!
  • seomra
    seomra Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost about one third of the total I want to lose and this week is the first week that I have noticed a difference. I wore a pair of pants 3 weeks ago for my son's christening and put them on today for a lunch and they were noticeably looser, can't wait to go shopping in my wardrobe- have clothes for 3 different women there- size 16 UK to size 10 UK

this is such an inspirational thread, thanks to all for sharing
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

OMG I completely forgot about these bumps! I used to have them too! I never knew what they were from though but they are and have been gone for a while....crazy!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm a school teacher. Normally the first weeks of school result in very painful and bruised feet. Now 70 pounds lighter my feet did not bother me at all starting this year.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I gave my daughter a bear hug. I am amazed how much further around her my arms go, now! (She said it's because my arms are going around her, and not around both of us.)
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I'm more of an hourglass figure and not a triangle like I thought. It turns out when I'm really big I'm more top heavy but once I lose weight my waist line dips in more and my hips don't appear so narrow after all.
  • ecr1977
    ecr1977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm down 50 pounds with just the final 14 to shift (taken 11 months - slow and steady).
    • I have a happy belly button - it used to look like a sad smile, it now has an upturn to it!
    • I am also cold all the time, I had put that down to an office move and proximity to the a/c.. rethinking that now thanks to all your comments!
    • I sleep better - used to think i was a night owl... turns out I was just too fat to sleep comfy.
    • My belief that I was destined genetically to be short and dumpy.... wasn't true! Also I'm not big busted... I was just fat!
    • My wardrobe needed seriously updating - my weight has been pretty static for years, so just hung on to everything for ages! Hanging on to big clothes just doesn't work - they look bulky and well... awful! Like I'm dressed in my an adults clothes! I think I have donated enough clothes to charity to support a small country!
    • I have dimples!

The best thing... A colleague at work calling me their "thinsperation"

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That my husband likes grabbing my butt through the waistband gap of the shorts that are getting too big to wear!

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    That my husband likes grabbing my butt through the waistband gap of the shorts that are getting too big to wear!

This made me laugh. He's taking advantage of an obvious opportunity!!
  • starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Ok this is weird. I'm 52. I have never exercised or been into playing sports of any kind, but now I am finally starting to enjoy exercise and even feel antsy if I have to miss a day.

I started at 300, I'm down to 233 and I am shooting for 170.

So today after swimming my husband said let's go into the gym a play a little basketball. My immediate response was to say no and make up an excuse but
    then I went ahead and took a few shots.

Then we started actually playing and when my husband started to block me I got really angry and punched him. Hard. Then I got teary eyed. I was terrified! It was just bizarre.

I realized that the reason I don't play any sports is because I was always the chubby kid in our neighborhood and everyone was mean to me. If I joined the basketball game my brothers and the other neighborhood kids would elbow me and trip my and even step on me when I fell. I have a cousin who would pitch the softball at my head on purpose. If I got on base they would trip me when i started running. There are lots of other examples and I had blocked them all out til now. I'm 52 years old!

It never occurred to me that there was any psychological reason why I was heavy. I'm realized today that I am actually afraid of "jocks", really terrified and that has been controlling my choices for a very long time.

@bri170lb What a terrible story, but a HUGE congrats to you for not only getting healthier, but also getting to the bottom of some deeply buried issues and even facing pushing your old boundaries. Take that control back!

I still have this memory of when I was in like third or fourth grade. We were playing kickball and I was running to third base. I made some kind of comment to the kid who was playing defense around the base about him having to put his foot on the base or something and he called me a "stupid girl." Now, I probably wouldn't enjoy sports now anyway (I like more creative types of movement like dancing), but once in a while I'll wonder if my anxiety towards playing sports--even recreationally--stems in part from this moment. I mean, at the time, my eyes were stinging with tears...
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to find that clothes came in other colors than black, navy, and brown LOL.
    you don't hear me coming when I wear pantyhose, also all this time I thought I had big boobs, it turned out to be just fat LOL.

yeah! What schmuck decided that fat people don't like color?!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband checking out my *kitten* :D

FABULOUS! Ha ha EXY!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!