Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    samgamgee wrote: »
    I had been vaguely dieting on and off for a while, then winter 2014 I went totally off the rails and put on about a stone. I knew I wanted to lose weight but hadn't fully committed, was being a bit wishy washy... Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror from behind, naked and thought 'holy back fat, Batman!' For some reason that really cemented things for me, like I had gradually seen my body and face change but I rarely see my back so the difference from my mental image of myself was more of a shock.

I think that suddenly seeing yourself at an unexpected angle can be a real wake-up call.

I knew, but had been rationalizing, that I had put on some weight after several years of keeping it off, but a candid shot taken over the holidays at an angle I rarely see in the mirror really threw me for a loop. My face looked almost unrecognizable to me, it was so round and puffy. It was NOT an attractive picture of me, and I knew that the person who posted it is not at all mean-spirited and wouldn't have done so if they had been struck by the picture being unflattering.

Which meant it wasn't unflattering, that was just how I had looked for a while.

The next day I started tracking again and it's been such a relief to feel like I have my eating and my body back in control. The weight isn't coming off as fast as it did when I was younger, but it is coming off, and I'm optimistic that I won't have to encounter any horrifying candid shots during future family holidays.
  • bootqueenmfp
    bootqueenmfp Posts: 1,773 Member
    My clothes got too tight!!! My favorite skirt didn't fit anymore!!!! Sooooo tonights my 1st night on mfp...... Lol.......time to get this fitness train rolling!!!
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Hitting a weight I thought I'd never touch, 250, it was shocking and so was entering the obese category 3. Those are just the people on tv right? Nope, that's you, fix it.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Because I was going to get married in September. But the engagement is off. Plus I have been at my weight now before. I want feel better about my body. Good luck to you all :)
  • krisstuart79
    krisstuart79 Posts: 2 Member
    My boss- who is at least two of me- referred to me as one of the 'fatties'
  • davoiscool
    davoiscool Posts: 125 Member
    My most recent weight loss is because I piled on like 4kg over the Christmas period, and that was the kick up the *kitten* that I needed to get me back on track. It's going really well!

Before that, it was definitely the mirror showing me something I didn't like!
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    I wanted to quit smoking, however I know I put on around 5kg's when I do (quit a few times :o ) so dropped the 5 kilo's without too much bother - I don't actually know how I did it, no extra calorie expenditure intake was much the same, thought weigh less and it happened!
    I quit and the weight started to increase, as expected. What I didn't expect was it was to crash past the 5 kilo's and also my all time highest weight, in about 8 weeks I had gained 11 kilo's. :#
    It was only when I couldn't get into my motorbike leather trousers I got the wake-up I needed.
    Onto the rowing machine, but didn't see any improvement, changed the workout and started visiting this site - the road to logging has been a bit slow, but am getting into it more.
    8 weeks in and nearly 4 kilo's down, not the rate at which it was 'acquired' and a bit more to before the trousers fit but heading the right way.
  • LAWNYBEE
    LAWNYBEE Posts: 46 Member
    Mine was when my bloke cheated on me - (insecure) Feeling much better now though
  • BiafraGirl11
    BiafraGirl11 Posts: 5 Member
    There are so many reasons, why I decided to lose the weight this time. In summary, life wasn't and hasn't been going right for a while. I think the triggering point was when I woke up one day, and I looked old, tired and felt weak. I decided that I wanted to a better quality of life, while accepting life on its terms. I wanted to love myself, and be myself, whatever that was, through it all.

I came to the conclusion that my extra rolls and my year after year increasing weight gain, were the manifestation of giving up, succumbing to ease and convenience, and hiding from the world -- that I was not loving myself. I had lost weight in the past, tried a whole host of things, and always gained it back with interest (sliding back into bad eating habits, after a period of time). This time I wanted to do it for me on a deeper level, and learn to care for myself better through life's ups and downs.
  • bubblefreakkerry
    bubblefreakkerry Posts: 11 Member
    I've known i've been overweight for a while and have tried many times to lose weight gained because of an injury in the last five years but have been unsuccessful. Now i live in Japan and can't buy clothes even in h&m maternity. This christmas i had to measure my bum spread to check i could fit in the airline seats- i was 2cm too wide. Luckily I didn't have to buy another seat but I spent over 12 hours squished into the seat with one armrest a little up to accomodate. The belt barely fit and its taken a while to get rid of the bruises. Unfortunately I picked up a back injury which has delayed exercise plans a month and have so far have had no luck with just dieting. I am going to my sisters graduation in july and really want a wow well done moment and not look like a whale standing next to my extremely fit and pretty siblings. Need support!
  • Nova_88
    Nova_88 Posts: 42 Member
    There was no moment for me. I just want to get rid of those 30 lb that are bothering me for 5 years.
    It is sad this thread was started last year. I saw a lot of people writing about major health problems or huge life changes and when you go to see the profile the last visit was one month (or so) after the first visit.
    There are not a lot of active users and it have been only a year!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Nova_88 wrote: »
    There was no moment for me. I just want to get rid of those 30 lb that are bothering me for 5 years.
    It is sad this thread was started last year. I saw a lot of people writing about major health problems or huge life changes and when you go to see the profile the last visit was one month (or so) after the first visit.
    There are not a lot of active users and it have been only a year!

Don't worry about it! There are lots of active lurkers reading and silently cheering you on, as we each get closer to our goals! More stories, please!
  • claireswin4
    claireswin4 Posts: 18 Member
    For me, it was watching the number on the scale continuously creeping up, despite "trying really really hard" to lose weight. I kept drawing a line in my mind and saying how I'll get serious once I reach that point. First it was 160 lbs, then 170, then 180, then 190. Once I surpassed 190, I realized that if I didn't fix my "I'll try" attitude, that I would be drawing new lines in my mind forever. Though I haven't lost much, I'm proud to say I haven't gained.
  • iRingo44
    iRingo44 Posts: 3 Member
    Hitting a weight I thought I'd never touch, 250, it was shocking and so was entering the obese category 3. Those are just the people on tv right? Nope, that's you, fix it.

That's what I'm going through! I've been chubby my entire life, and I've tried to "diet" and stuff on and off, and I gained 30 pounds my freshman year of college. Now I'm 230 and I decided to get healthier for me to love myself more. Although hating myself made me gain even more weight, so I figured out the root of the problem.
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    I've had a good chuckle reading some of these! Mine was realizing I weighed what I did when I was 9 months pregnant, and my son is 8 years old!! Lol! Can't use the old 'baby weight' excuse anymore!! So I had to kick my butt into gear!
  • rreynolds2905
    rreynolds2905 Posts: 19 Member
    Relationship issues. Been married 17 yrs next month. 3 kids. Not too much to lose (20 lbs ish) , just looking to feel better about myself. And to add insult to injury- for the first time ever in my life bmi chart says I am over weight for my height. That has never been an issue for me before. Time for change in more ways than 1 I guess.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I realize I was needlessly rushing to a hard premature death in 2014. Now health markers, pain levels, ability to physically get around at the age of 65 is better than when I was 45.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    I was called a "big woman" by a man who was surprised that it bothered me.
  • When my two year old nephew tried to dig for frenchfries in my spare tire, coupled with the fact that it was a solid two months of pictures that I claimed were "bad angles" and that I "didn't really look like that". I got 3 lbs away from 200 lbs for the first time in my life and got scared I'd be 200+ lbs. That was in September & I'm 180 now.