Cholesterol help

Options
I would really like to find some recipes and foods in general to help lower my high cholesterol levels or at least not increase it!

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal really helps
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was totally driven by my weight. Not until I lost 45 pounds and began consistent exercise did my numbers go down to a normal level. (and my ratio improved good:bad cholesterol) From your profile...It doesn't seem like you have any weight to lose...am I right with that? Sorry, not being nosey, but I just wanted to let you know for me, it was only improved with the weight loss. I did the low fat, low carb, oatmeal, cholest-off, garlic pills...ugh, nothing worked. Good luck!
  • marytyoung
    marytyoung Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm, can't see your profile, but a vegetarian diet will reduce your bad cholesterol. You might look at Whole30. I did and my ratio improved, my BMI improved. Whole30 doesn't allow dairy, wheat, sugar, soy, alcohol, caffeine for 30 days ( hence the name), but sets you on a new understanding of your body's tolerance for the mentioned foods. Best wishes!

Mary
  • adip0sey
    adip0sey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Avoid or limit foods high in saturated or trans fats. This includes foods like cakes, cookies, buttery crackers and deep fried foods. Try and avoid organ meats such as liver, kidney and pates. Eggs in moderation. Avocados, nuts, seeds and olive oils are healthy fats but eat them in moderation. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Increase your fiber by eating whole grains, beans and lentils (gradually aim for 25-30g fiber/day but make sure you drink lots of water as well to avoid constipation). Eat lean meats with little to no fat and skin (such as chicken). One to two servings of fatty fish such as salmon a week (has the good kind of fat). And increase your exercise.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    davale06 wrote: »
    I would really like to find some recipes and foods in general to help lower my high cholesterol levels or at least not increase it!

Latest from Heart Foundation

Fat Macro should be set at 25% to 35%

Lower your saturated fat intake to 7% of your total energy intake

Ban transfat from your body totally

Omega 3 minimum 500mg per day (fish source)
    Omega 3 minimum 2 grams per day (plant source)

Omega 6 polyunsaturated to 10% total energy intake
  • davale06
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies! Great info. No I am not looking to lose weight just get my cholesterol levels down. I never really was a big sugary or fast food eater but I did indulge at times. I think it was too much old school cooking that may have gotten me. Too much frying etc. I miss having an egg but I know these are high in cholesterol. I wish I could exercise more but due to a muscle problem, it is difficult. So it is important for me to eat well since my excercise routine is limited.
  • rekoner
    rekoner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dr. had susuggested using red yeast rice supplements to help lower cholesterol numbers. I've been taking them for few months, but I haven't been back to the dr. to check up yet.
  • davale06
    Options
    Oh that's interesting! Please let me know if it helped.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    Depends on why your cholesterol numbers are high. My cholesterol went down drastically after I lowered my carbs and increased fat with LCHF macros.