32 and matabolism is still in high gear!!

does anyone know when it's starts slowing down in women?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    When you stop moving about or lose lean body mass. Or your thyroid goes bonkers.

dam6eo5tltql.jpg

Single most important factors, in general, are LBM and activity level.
  • Thx!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    It's a bit of a myth that women hit a certain age and it starts to slow down. Sure, things change as we get older but like said above - if you keep LBM and activity level up it shouldn't slow down enough to really matter any time soon. I'm 40 and it's still just fine.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Think it's a complicated mix of lifestyle/genetics/age and gender.

You could be like the majority of people who notice things going south in their 30's towards their 40's, or you could be some kind of outlier...

Less activity will slow things down (why it's easier to ditch cardio when you're bulking rather than have to scarf down mountains of food). Or eating less over time leads to some kind of metabolic slowdown (why some people who seem to perma-diet end up subsisting on meagre findings). That's the lifestyle stuff.

The other stuff is in the lap of the gods...
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Mine has always been slow due to hypothyroid. If it is not slowing down, I suggest asking your doctor to test you for hyperthyroid. It won't hurt and at least you will know or, you can rule it out.

My bodybuilding coach told me that as we get older (I am 40, she is 50), our metabolism slows down (I believe she said screeching halt w/ menopause) along with our estrogen, but the testosterone we have enables us to aid in gaining muscle. This was just in conversation, did not ask her source nor did I look it up. However, she is a certified and good personal trainer, nutritionist and body builder.
  • It's a bit of a myth that women hit a certain age and it starts to slow down. Sure, things change as we get older but like said above - if you keep LBM and activity level up it shouldn't slow down enough to really matter any time soon. I'm 40 and it's still just fine.
    Thank u a lot of the women I see on here are younger then I am so it's nice to see someone closer to my age!!
  • jimmmer wrote: »

You could be like the majority of people who notice things going south in their 30's towards their 40's, or you could be some kind of outlier...

Less activity will slow things down (why it's easier to ditch cardio when you're bulking rather than have to scarf down mountains of food). Or eating less over time leads to some kind of metabolic slowdown (why some people who seem to perma-diet end up subsisting on meagre findings). That's the lifestyle stuff.

That's the thing I'm lightly active and 32 will be 33 this month but motabilism is crazy fast!
  • dlvuyovich wrote: »
    Mine has always been slow due to hypothyroid. If it is not slowing down, I suggest asking your doctor to test you for hyperthyroid. It won't hurt and at least you will know or, you can rule it out.

My bodybuilding coach told me that as we get older (I am 40, she is 50), our metabolism slows down (I believe she said screeching halt w/ menopause) along with our estrogen, but the testosterone we have enables us to aid in gaining muscle. This was just in conversation, did not ask her source nor did I look it up. However, she is a certified and good personal trainer, nutritionist and body builder.

I actually did that my mom suggested that because she has the hypo so she thought I might have hyper but I don't it's so frustrating I've been battling this my whole life no it got worse after my kids!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »

That's the thing I'm lightly active and 32 will be 33 this month but motabilism is crazy fast!

I wouldn't worry about it.

You know yourself and what you need to eat to gain/lose weight. You have the tools to do what you want and no one else really matters.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    dlvuyovich wrote: »

In general true, but it isn't because you age, it's because as one gets older, they lose LBM and become less active, etc... Keep your LBM, stay active and there is less loss.

The studies show that age is a factor but when corrected to LBM, it is much less so.