Exercises for Scolisos?

fromflabtofab2015
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to lose some weight and tone my stomach but I have scoliosis. It is a little painful sometimes but my doctor encourages me to exercise daily. She said any exercises are ok but I was looking around online and some other people WITH scoliosis are saying you shouldn't do certain exercises like squats (not that I want to do squats anyway) because it causes even more strain on your back. So what exercises can I do that'll help tone my stomach but not make my back worse? Also, how come when I used to exercise (I stopped because it got too painful but I'm starting again), blood would immediately rush to my head and I would feel light headed?

Replies

• hangnail666
    hangnail666 Posts: 7 Member
    Chill. My training buddy/friend has rotoscoliosis (his cob is 24) he squats 300 pounds and deadlifts 400 pounds, and he hasn't gone to snap city yet. Don't listen to these online fitness gurus, It's not like you're back is just gonna snap in half if you squat. I dunno why you would get light headed it most likely has nothing to do with scoliosis you should probably talk to your doctor about that lol. How bad is your curve anyway? What do you mean by tone your stomach? like lose belly fat
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I have stenosis scoliosis and disk compression (part born that way and part bad car accident) I work out every day (break day I still do something low key to get blood flow to damaged areas). Mix it up, elliptical, walking and if you have a community indoor pool, swim. On weight days I make sure I'm in sitting or pelvic neutral position and I use low weights, squats are possible just be very aware of body position, knees and hip position stable and keep movement slow. All activity is worth it! Good luck.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I was instructed by my doctor to not free lift more than 45 pounds ever with my scoliosis and avoid any high impact exercise. So I do weight training with machines that keep downward pressure off my back and use the elliptical and walk with an inline on the treadmill for exercise. I also walk around parks and use a stationary bike at home to keep up exercise away from the gym.

For my core specifically I like the weighted crunch machine best.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    I have mild scoliosis. I have always found that doing a lot of exercises which build up core strength have always been beneficial. I dont like to hold back when exercising - I do (heavyish!) barbell squats, deadlifts, kickboxing, sprints etc. I find when I don't bother exercising for a while, that's when the back aches set in. But this is just my experience, not medical opinion :-)