What's everyone take for supplements? Vitamins, Pre-workout, Recovery, Protein?

Options
Alive Multivitamin
Biotin
Fish oil
Evening Primrose
Spirulina
Vitamin D
Glucosamine with MSM
Coconut oil (in moderation)
Flax oil (in moderation)
Pre workout on lifting days Cellucor C4 Extreme (pink lemonade)
Natural Gold Standard Whey (chocolate)

Replies

• lisamoralg
    Options
    I use Chia and spirulina
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I take too many supplements. I probably have a problem. Multivitamin, coq10, D3, K2, fish oil, garlic, magnesium, potassium, saw palmetto, probiotic daily. Whey, pre-workout, BCAA some days. I also supplement with gelatin, green powder, and fibre mixed into foods or drinks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I only take a fish oil, a multivitamin and dymatize protein powder.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Protein, Creatine, sometimes intra-workout carbs and eaa's
  • Crea77
    Crea77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know...I take a probiotic too. I think to myself sometimes...is this all too hard on my liver and kidneys? Or does the health benefits out way that?
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement at times when I don't get enough from my diet as I tend to need more than recommended amount, but other than that, I don't see the point in taking a supplement that I can fwt from my food. Especially considering the lack of regulations on them and recent studies pointing out that three brands were tested and all three were found to have none of what the bottle said...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    For most, a multivitamin, fish oil and protein (if you need to supplement more of it in) is basically all that's needed. The rest is mostly smoke and mirrors. Most supplements dosage is low versus what's actually tested in labs for research.
    Also since supplements aren't regulated by the FDA, a lot of times there are contaminants that are present because much of the raw material to make it comes from countries that don't regulate purity of the raw materials being sent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Side note, here is an article I enjoy that discusses supplements.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fish oil and a multivitamin... sometimes protein powder but only on days I am not gonna hit my numbers without blowing calories.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Cod liver oil capsules and garlic capsules.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Side note, here is an article I enjoy that discusses supplements.

That's pretty awesome.
  • cencinio89
    cencinio89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I take a womens multivitamin and biotin
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    In addition to fresh lean meats for protein, I supplement Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein - Vanilla or Chocolate Peanut Butter or Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate Vanilla Protein Powder. Vitamins = 2 of my daughter's PRINCESS GUMMIES.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B,C,D and fish oil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone, depending on their deficiencies. My vitamin D, iron, and calcium are low so I take those daily. Bariatric surgery comes with known mal-absorption issues so I am on a pregnancy multivitamin for life (Folic Acid).

I'm at that glorious transition of life known as menopause so right now I am taking Black Cohosh and Evening Primrose oil. I lost a step-mom to breast cancer so our family has sworn off estrogen replacement.

Delicate fifty year old knees so I take glucosamine.

Just to be contrary, I take BioSteel in my water on rest days; ten calories. It has L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, Glycine, Taurine, L-Glutamine, and L-Valine. I asked my dietitian about it and her comment was, "can't hurt". But the chief reason I take it is because it is pink and guaranteed to horrify my daughter the natural freak.

I have a glass of water with a bit of cheese and a couple crackers before my thirty minute run. That's it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    -Fish oil
    -Men's multivitamin
    -Probiotic
    -Protein
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was a little low on D last time I had bloodwork so I'm taking that now. I also take biotin year round and flax oil in the winter to help with my dry skin. Then before bed I take magnesium.
  • vivalafranpire
    vivalafranpire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I only take a women's multivitamin at the moment. Not sure what else to try. I know I need something with more iron and calcium but just need to see if I can fit that in to my diet first.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I take no supplements at all