Vegetarian / Raw Food

Options
Hey anyone has reviews about this?

I wanted to raise my metabolism and become healthy(er).
Sick of the diets ;)

Who is eating vegan / raw and can tell me more?

Please no calories in and out stuff.

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You're not going to raise your metabolism because you're processing more fiber from eating raw vegan. You'll still need to count calories, unfortunately. I ate raw vegan for a while and didn't lose any weight. Why not? There are still a lot of calorie dense foods on a raw vegan diet like avocados, almonds, cashews, and dates. I ate plenty of them to feel sated.

I enjoyed the food I ate while a raw vegan, but it wasn't sustainable for me because it became very expensive to feed myself a raw vegan diet while also feeding the rest of the family a regular diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/pages/how-can-i-speed-up-my-metabolism.aspx
    The only way to speed up metabolism is to exercise, esp aerobics.
  • enrique
    enrique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Gardenia
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I know a couple that went raw vegan. They have gained a lot of weight and are now obese.

There are some delicious and healthy and low calorie raw vegan foods. No matter what eating style you decide on, nothing is magically going to get rid of the fact you still need to eat less calories than you burn.

And do research. You need to make sure you get what you need nutritionally.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you find "diets" hard to stick to, then you might have a really hard time with raw vegan, because it's extremely strict. It's like the mother of all diets. For me the only thing that works is counting calories and allowing myself to be flexible in my food choices. The best diet is the one you can stick with.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    "Sick of diets"

Asks for advice on an extreme fringe/trend diet.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I ate raw and gained 10 pounds pretty quickly. Proof you can eat extremely healthy foods and still gain weight. Of course, I focused on the raw desserts such as pecan pie, etc. Also the nut butter spreads are a killer. The food is delicious though and I felt great eating that way. If you decide to do so count your calories, too. On the downside it takes a lot of time to prepare the foods correctly so if you are short on time it might not work for you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    "Sick of diets"

Asks for advice on an extreme fringe/trend diet.

RDJ.gif
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly vegan but I was concerned with the amount of fruit and veggies I eat daily due to it was insufficient. My husband has issues processing veggies and a good digestive enzyme is still being investigated. So I eat mostly fruits and veggies during the day now this also includes boiled eggs and dairy. Red meat, fish, chicken, etc I reserve for my dinner because I do need a burst of protein and this keeps me satisfied while I sleep and my body has calories to function properly. If you want to try vegan I would suggest easing into it using this method taking into consideration health issues you may have or hereditary as well. I exercise daily for at least 40 minutes. 10 minutes of treadmill to include a 4 minute run, 15 minutes of strength training, and 15 minutes of yoga. I have reached my initial goal of 127 lbs on my 5'0" pear shaped frame now I am aiming for 123 lbs in order to tone and not exceed my 127 goal. Good luck!
  • Wawlden
    Wawlden Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    People who gain weight on a raw vegan diet are eating wayyy to much fat. Keep it at or under 10%.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wawlden wrote: »
    People who gain weight on a raw vegan diet are eating wayyy to much fat. Keep it at or under 10%.

Yes. But the OP doesn't want to hear anything about calories in calories out so a warning was a good idea....

I do think vegan can be done properly and result in a healthy weight. It does, however, take effort. and knowledge.

edit on the amount of fat...I was mostly paying attention to the way too much fat. 10% does seem low

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Keep dietary fat under 10%? Why?
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »

Sick of the diets ;)

a vegan diet is so restrictive. why would you want to do that? there are plenty of lean meats out there in order to stay low calorie while eating meat. i see no benefit to a diet such as this since it gives you less options, not more. why would anyone want less options?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian and managed to become obese. It's not what you eat, but how much, that determines how much you weigh.

Many raw vegan foods are very high calorie, like avocado, nuts, and oils.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Keep dietary fat under 10%? Why?
    Because having a properly functioning brain or GI tract is for proles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • dbmata
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your science has no place here, wizard.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, lost approx 50lbs when I started cutting out animal products from my diet. I lost my acne, asthma and gained loads of energy. It might not be for everyone but eating a diet that focuses on raw, whole foods has worked wonders for me! :)
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but on my way to vegan but raw vegan can be a bit expensive since you need to buy a lot of fruit/vegetables. If you're honestly interested in becoming vegan then give it a try. I'm not sure exactly what info you need but might want to join the happy herbivore group on here and check out a few books like the China study, 801010, the starch solution and a very simple book called how to be vegan by Elizabeth castoria.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    eraser51 wrote: »

Sick of the diets ;)

Sick of diets but want to go raw vegan...? :neutral_face: