Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

MFP Premium

breyn2004breyn2004 Posts: 162Member Member Posts: 162Member Member
Hello MFP World!

Can we talk about the new MFP premium that is evolving? I would like to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.....

Daily tracking will remain free, but in order to change percentages to grams (for say, IIFYM) you will have to pay a MONTHLY fee?!

This is completely ridiculous to to me. Who has some insight? Highly disappointed in this move!

Replies

• Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 14,702Member Member Posts: 14,702Member Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10145685/you-asked-you-got-kind-of-mfp-premium/p1

Here's the dicussion from the other day, which has some of the features set out and the great debate.
  • breyn2004breyn2004 Posts: 162Member Member Posts: 162Member Member
    Thank you! I was trying so search from my phone, but wasn't having any luck.
  • StevenSteven Posts: 597Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 597Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    OP, we are grateful to you and many others for sharing your feedback and questions regarding our recent debut of MyFitnessPal Premium. The response from our beta testers and from early adopters of Premium has been overwhelmingly positive. Since the full set of Premium features is not yet visible to all of our users, we wanted to clear up a few points about the product.

As part of preparing to offer a native Premium version of the macros-by-gram feature, we revised the layout of our Goals pages. This re-design broke the assumptions expected by a popular third-party extension (used by many IIFYM members) that also provides a goals-by-gram solution. While we’ve never actively supported such customizations, it was not our intent for Premium to eliminate any existing aftermarket improvements. In fact some reports indicate that the bookmarklet is working as expected again. (Please note the possibility that future security enhancements may make plug-ins like this untenable down the road).

Those who have not yet seen the Premium upgrade option may be unaware that the option to adjust nutrient goals by the gram is only one feature in a larger suite of enhancements that we’ve designed for users who need tools beyond basic calorie counting. MyFitnessPal Premium is an advanced tool-set for folks with specialized diets and fitness plans. Additional features allow for setting custom nutrition goals for different days of the week, customizing the ratio of nutrients that exercise calories add to one’s goals, or even opting out of eating back exercise calories entirely. The Premium version of Quick-Add allows for macronutrient values in addition to calories. Other aspects of the upgrade include an ad-free experience on the web and in our apps, expedited customer support, and regularly updated Premium content.

While these and other Premium features will not appeal to all of our users, as a bundled set of tools we believe they will be be of great use to those with specific nutrition and exercise goals. Over time, as we expand the Premium feature set, we hope that more and more users will find it compelling to upgrade. But every feature we’ve previously offered for free will remain free and ad-supported, and we’ll continue to make improvements and add new features for standard users as well. (Watch for the huge --free-- upgrade to the Nutrition graphs in our iOS 6.0 and Android 4.0 releases!)

We’re slowly rolling out the availability of Premium to all users of our Website, and iOS and Android apps over the next weeks. The improved Nutrition page on iOS and Android will become available for free on the same schedule.

MyFitnessPal has come a long way by providing ad-supported, free-to-access calorie counting tools to millions of users for the past ten years. That business model will continue, and we trust our users will continue to thrill us with their success stories. Now, to support the goals of some of our most particular users, we’ve launched Version One of MyFitnessPal Premium as a subscription upgrade. We do hope that those of you who don’t yet find Premium a compelling upgrade will continue to use MyFitnessPal for free, and will continue to be generous with your feedback about our product.
  • Zara11Zara11 Posts: 1,152Member Member Posts: 1,152Member Member
    Steven, I'd love to try out/do a month trial of the premium site if you're looking for more testers!
  • StevenSteven Posts: 597Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 597Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    Hi Zara, thanks for your interest. We're fully tested at this point, but you can always watch our Facebook page at Facebook.com/myfitnesspal for announcements of future beta testing.
  • theoriginalpwrgrltheoriginalpwrgrl Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    So, how do we upgrade to the version 1?
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 14,702Member Member Posts: 14,702Member Member
    @Steven, can I ask why the above thread I linked to got nuked? I started it but got no message that it was being deleted.
    @Alatariel75 I'm checking with the Community team. The thread was moved to a moderator-only area, which typically happens if the topic contains guideline violations that need reviewing. I'l see what I can find out
    So, how do we upgrade to the version 1?

Premium is currently available to 10% of our US users on Web and Android, with iOS hopefully becoming available later today. We are slowly ramping to 100% visibility to US users to make sure quality holds up during launch. If you're in the US, hang tight, you'll see the option to upgrade in the next week or so
  • AlexAlex Posts: 6,207Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Staff Posts: 6,207Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Staff
    Steven wrote: »
    @Alatariel75 I'm checking with the Community team. The thread was moved to a moderator-only area, which typically happens if the topic contains guideline violations that need reviewing. I'l see what I can find out

Sorry I was on vacation when this was moved and I am not sure what the moderation/flagged issue was for this discussion, and we'd much rather keep it viewable, I have moved it back and if there are personal attacks towards users or other issues in the discussion we can remove those individually (and will communicate with those posters) but otherwise its a feedback discussion and we want to hear it.
    edited May 2015
  • Zara11Zara11 Posts: 1,152Member Member Posts: 1,152Member Member
    Hi Zara, thanks for your interest. We're fully tested at this point, but you can always watch our Facebook page at Facebook.com/myfitnesspal for announcements of future beta testing.

Thanks! Any chance you guys will offer a trial month? I'm game to upgrade but would love to try it for a month first before purchasing a year.
  • AlexAlex Posts: 6,207Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Staff Posts: 6,207Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Staff
    Zara11 wrote: »

Thanks! Any chance you guys will offer a trial month? I'm game to upgrade but would love to try it for a month first before purchasing a year.

We don't have a trial offer available at this time. You might want to consider purchasing a month's subscription to see if its something you would like to purchase for the year. Thanks!
  • festergutsfesterguts Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    The response from our beta testers and from early adopters of Premium has been overwhelmingly positive.
    No it hasn't. $10 a month for minute changes is absurd, all you guys did was change the way it looks. Clicking on nutrition before and seeing how many grams I had left and how many I ate so far was working just fine. Still the same way post-update and all it is a different look.
    As part of preparing to offer a native Premium version of the macros-by-gram feature, we revised the layout of our Goals pages. This re-design broke the assumptions expected by a popular third-party extension (used by many IIFYM members) that also provides a goals-by-gram solution. While we’ve never actively supported such customizations, it was not our intent for Premium to eliminate any existing aftermarket improvements. In fact some reports indicate that the bookmarklet is working as expected again.

Yes it was your intent. You saw money $$$ signs.
    edited May 2015
  • courtny44courtny44 Posts: 3Member, Premium Member Posts: 3Member, Premium Member
    So i just purchased the Premium subscription but it is not syncing with my Android (Galaxy). Is that capability not avail yet? You'd think before purchasing, the details would be displayed.
  • Ascender21Ascender21 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    Hi Steven, my wife has been using myfitnesspal for months with the ability to change goals to grams for free. She finally convinced me to use myfitnesspal as well. Since I have to pay to use this feature (and have no interest in any of the other bundled features that come with the fee), I have found myfitnesspal to be useless without paying a fee. I am deleting the app just as quickly as I downloaded it, along with my ability to view all your sponsored ads - which of course is how you primarily generate revenue. I'm sure I speak on behalf of so many users when I suggest that this one option NOT be part of the monthly fee bundle. Sadly dissapointed.
  • GwlisterGwlister Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    $50/year subscription for a handful of options that used to be free -- NOPE. I could see MAYBE a one time premium charge, but a recurring monthly or yearly poke in the eye? No thanks, UnderArmor, that's a big fat fail. I MUST PROTECT THIS CASH!
  • misskymmisskym Posts: 52Member Member Posts: 52Member Member
    I think the cost is ridiculous. I could easily purchase the MyNetDiary Pro app on my iPhone for a one time fee of 3.99 and receive the capability to personalize my macros. The premium "upgrades" are not worth $10/mo. It's disappointing. Quite honestly, we have lived with ads for years now. I don't care if they are there or not, so an "ad-free experience" doesn't appeal to me, especially when the cost is so high.

A one-time upgrade fee of a reasonable price to have the capability to personalize macros would be welcomed.
    edited July 2015
  • thankyou4thevenomthankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,614Member Member Posts: 1,614Member Member
    Olivia wrote: »

We don't have a trial offer available at this time. You might want to consider purchasing a month's subscription to see if its something you would like to purchase for the year. Thanks!

So you won't be doing free trials because?
  • misskymmisskym Posts: 52Member Member Posts: 52Member Member
    Olivia wrote: »

So you won't be doing free trials because?

Because people will be able to change their macros during the free trial, and MFP/UA just can't have that. Maybe they figure once everyone changes their macros on the trial, they'll cancel and won't pay to have the feature any more. Who knows.
  • _incogNEATo__incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,625Member Member Posts: 4,625Member Member
    It's always funny to me to see people complain about a free service.
  • wedgeexwedgeex Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    It's always funny to me to see people complain about a free service.

Usually only when the features were free for a long while and then suddenly cost $10 a month.

• dmpettitdmpettit Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I could understand doing a one-time fee to be able to adjust your macros by grams (not just calorie %s), but to have to pay $10/month for that extra feature (it's literally the ONLY part of premium I am interested in), seems ridiculous for me to do. You might think about having the option to change to grams available seperately (that way the IIFYM followers are satisfied and you still make money off us) as well as in the premium bundle (for those who want the entire package options). I would certainly pay once for it, but I will not pay $10/month (or $50/year).
  • joshuaFR22joshuaFR22 Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    Agree with pretty much everyone here. Only one feature I'm interested in is this option and it's nuts to pay a recurring $10/month or $50 yearly fee for that. I have no idea where you guys get your price points, but that's way too high.
  • tinakegleytinakegley Posts: 5Member Member Posts: 5Member Member
    Way too much money just to be able to customize macros. Can't afford it. Looking for a new app.
    Customizing the macros is the only thing I would use. There is no reason to charge for such a simple fix. And I do support the sponsors.
  • johntran228johntran228 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    $10month and $50yr. !?!?!?! wtf!??!?!? c'mon maaan.. charge us 1 time fee.
    edited August 2015
  • Pjames95Pjames95 Posts: 22Member Member Posts: 22Member Member
    Shame they'll be charging for what's an essential feature for a lot of people. I like the social aspect of MFP, but I'll be leaving for another app when I can't change my macros anymore.
    edited August 2015
  • razorr69razorr69 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    This is ridiculous 10$ per moth to be able to change my macros not worth it at all looking for alternatives if anyone has any please share
  • nichvr01nichvr01 Posts: 1Member Member Posts: 1Member Member
    I agree with EVERYONE else here! I switched the MyMacros+ because MFP SUCKS now that I have to pay for a feature that used to be free. MFP, you suck!
  • monster_inacupmonster_inacup Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    As part of preparing to offer a native Premium version of the macros-by-gram feature, we revised the layout of our Goals pages. This re-design broke the assumptions expected by a popular third-party extension (used by many IIFYM members) that also provides a goals-by-gram solution. While we’ve never actively supported such customizations, it was not our intent for Premium to eliminate any existing aftermarket improvements. In fact some reports indicate that the bookmarklet is working as expected again. (Please note the possibility that future security enhancements may make plug-ins like this untenable down the road).

Translation: we deliberately broke this and want you to pay a small fortune for it.

If it actually was not your intent to stop people doing this, you would just add macros adjustments in grams as standard.

You expect people in the uk to pay £8 a month just so they can do something which should be a standard feature?
    Thats more than netflix...