Age Discrimination?

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    The older a machine gets, the more likely parts will get worn and break down. AT 50 I definitely know that I will not soon be anywhere near the fitness level I maintained 25 years ago... BUT knowledge and wisdom offers me some confidence that I can be healthier and happier than I was 25 years ago... the old saying IF I knew then what I know now... well so long as you can put that knowledge to work NOW... you don't have to look back... LIFE is about progression... so good for you OP for taking that wisdom and running with it... BUT beyond the physical... there are larger emotional hurdles to get over than physical ones for a lot of people approaching your.. and even MY age level... it's a doctor's job to preach prudence and moderation... WHY look down on them for that?

anyway... speaking in generalities is rarely a constructive conversation... holding yourself up as the "norm" or even as average... belittles anyone else making their best effort and falling short...
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    I think it's their target audience.

You are not their target audience. They're trying to communicate to seniors who are not active.

Would you suggest someone who is 65+ to hit up a gym and start lifting heavy weights? Hell no.

Just like I wouldn't suggest someone who is 20 who has been sedentary their entire life to hit up a gym and start lifting the heaviest weight they can.

Everyone needs to start (relatively) small and build up their fitness to the point where there is a lower risk of injury.

The difference between someone who is 65+ and 20, however, is that the 20 year old probably doesn't have to worry about osteoporosis, arthritis, loss of dexterity, or other things that commonly come with aging.

So, I agree with the article because someone who has been active and into fitness all their life is not who they are communicating to. They're communicating to those people who have been sitting on their *kitten* all day and are realizing, "Hey, if I don't start exercising, I'm going to die tomorrow." For those people little 5lb weights and a 30 minute walk everyday will do them wonders and might give them a few more years of their life with a very low risk of them injuring themselves.

ETA: Yes, you are an outlier because 90% of the American population are not active and fit like you. You are not the general population, therefore you are an outlier and not the target audience of the article.

I quickly looked and couldn't find the article again..................but will keep trying. It wasn't a beginning point for people who've never exercised before or in a long time. It was a progression of decreasing exercise based on aging. For those over 70 the suggestions were even less intense.

I found it insulting personally.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    My uncle is 90 years old and rides his bike into town, like 2 miles everyday. He walks, he was in a Kayak race (won since he was the only competitor in his age group). The point being you don't need to slow down, keep moving and keep lifting.

There are some things that you do need to watch as you age. Tendons tend to tighten after age 40, so be sure to watch that. I have had some serious issues. BTW I am 49 years old. I also have arthritis, so jumping is no longer the option it used to be.

However, most of my issues have nothing to do with working out. The workouts actually help my problems.

1- Twisted my ankle because I was in platforms and twisted my foot, didn't hurt immediately, but ended up with a tendon problem.
    2- Bad back, I carried a heavy bag on one side of my body. Well I got uneven.
    3- Swollen meniscus, the side that my back hurts, caused issues with my leg being tight.
    4- Achilles tendonitis, this was an over use problem. Flip Flops and being bare foot, well some moves in Zumba didn't help, but not exercise related.

I did hurt my shoulder like 11 years ago, was from too much exercise. It is a tendon problem, took me a long time, but I can now do chest presses with 25lb dumbells. I achieved it this year. The more I lift the more I fix most of my issues, including the arthritis.

My mom is 85 and she can't even lift a pot of soup anymore. I will not be her. I will continue to lift and stay strong so I can do things on my own when I am old!!!!! I want to be able to carry my own groceries!!!
  • luluinca
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    The older a machine gets, the more likely parts will get worn and break down. AT 50 I definitely know that I will not soon be anywhere near the fitness level I maintained 25 years ago... BUT knowledge and wisdom offers me some confidence that I can be healthier and happier than I was 25 years ago... the old saying IF I knew then what I know now... well so long as you can put that knowledge to work NOW... you don't have to look back... LIFE is about progression... so good for you OP for taking that wisdom and running with it... BUT beyond the physical... there are larger emotional hurdles to get over than physical ones for a lot of people approaching your.. and even MY age level... it's a doctor's job to preach prudence and moderation... WHY look down on them for that?

anyway... speaking in generalities is rarely a constructive conversation... holding yourself up as the "norm" or even as average... belittles anyone else making their best effort and falling short...

I'm not particularly holding myself up as the norm, but I think if I can accomplish what I have, there are others out there who could use a little encouragement to push themselves a little harder as well.

I'd prefer to think I might be inspiring them rather than looking down on anyone.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Working in a Wellness Center, the majority of people in the mornings to mid afternoons are seniors. Many are free weight lifters because they've been taught correctly how to do it and the benefits. Of course we have many more courses such as water classes, yoga, balance classes and chair exercise for them too, but the direction from all of them is the same........................activity.
    BB.com is a "bro" community of muscleheads looking directly at mass building primarily. Because age does matter when it comes to muscle hypertrophy, they don't focus on ages past 50 for hypertrophy or power lifts. But there are also many others that dissuade seniors not to lift heavy because they are still of the mindset that they are frail.
    You've got a good trainer. Stick with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    luluinca wrote: »
    Thanks both of you.

One of the points I'm trying to make, whether I'm an outlier or not, is that age shouldn't be an excuse to not improve or maintain our future health and fitness. And I don't think doctors or bodybuilding websites should put limits on people based on age......................and neither should we.

absolutely agree!..I am a firm believer in if you don't use it you lose it, and that covers alot of aspects of life :smiley: I say if you feel able to be active, no matter what your age, then keep on going, I certainly hope I will have a good level of fitness when I'm in my 60's. I'm mid 40's now and fitter than I've ever been in my life so I'm hoping to just keep it up, I know I've never felt or looked better :smile:
  • luluinca
    Lol Niner...............my trainer said the same thing about BB.com. :)

And yes...............he's good.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think that MOST 65 year olds probably do need to be more conscious about their exercise, etc. because bones get weaker as we age, etc. I would suggest that you are DEFINITELY an outlier when it comes to this kind of stuff and that you may have a higher threshold for pain/discomfort due to your past obstacles.

BTW - I am going to be 47 years old in a few days, and I COMPLETELY agree with your outlook! I hope you keep on doing what you're doing and get that 200lb DL very soon!
    Actually bones get weaker when there's less stress on them. So exercising increases bone density.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Precisely the reason I got into weight lifting in the first place... I was reading all kinds of scary stuff about loss of bone density and muscle mass in menopause, I already know I'm very high risk for osteoporosis... so decided I'd better be proactive about working on those things now (age 51), to maintain as much functional mobility as possible in later years.

Like the OP, I hope I'm still lifting when I'm 65.. and older.

My doctor doesn't know I lift. We'll see what her reaction is when I tell her tomorrow.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Unfortunately, I think you are in the minority of women your age. I am 50, none of my friends lift. Either because they are afraid they are too old, unmotivated, just don't care, or afraid of getting hurt. It boggles my mind. You have much less of a chance of being hurt weight training than you do if you sit on the couch and let your muscles and bones turn to mush. Great job on your deadlift. That is amazing!!
  • luluinca
    Unfortunately, I think you are in the minority of women your age. I am 50, none of my friends lift. Either because they are afraid they are too old, unmotivated, just don't care, or afraid of getting hurt. It boggles my mind. You have much less of a chance of being hurt weight training than you do if you sit on the couch and let your muscles and bones turn to mush. Great job on your deadlift. That is amazing!!

I wonder sometimes if women my age are afraid because our doctors, friends and even partners don't encourage us to try. I've fallen on my butt, my face, and have a permanent small dent in my forehead from walking into a bar at the squat rack.............none of them hurt that much..........LOL
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    My mother is going on 63. She's very active. She has stopped going to see her doctor. Every ailment she went to see him for had been dismissed as an age problem. Four-day-long migraine? Oh, you're getting old. Bronchitis (non smoker)? Oh, you're just getting old. Sore knee? Yep, happens when you age!

Now, for me, he did the same thing - before I lost weight. Everything was because I needed to exercise and/or lose weight. Yes, I'm sure it helped with whatever I was going to see him for, but not EVERYTHING.

Sometimes doctors, like internet articles, have to be taken with a grain of salt. You aren't hurting yourself? Give'er!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I think it's their target audience.

You are not their target audience. They're trying to communicate to seniors who are not active.

Would you suggest someone who is 65+ to hit up a gym and start lifting heavy weights? Hell no.

Just like I wouldn't suggest someone who is 20 who has been sedentary their entire life to hit up a gym and start lifting the heaviest weight they can.

Everyone needs to start (relatively) small and build up their fitness to the point where there is a lower risk of injury.

The difference between someone who is 65+ and 20, however, is that the 20 year old probably doesn't have to worry about osteoporosis, arthritis, loss of dexterity, or other things that commonly come with aging.

So, I agree with the article because someone who has been active and into fitness all their life is not who they are communicating to. They're communicating to those people who have been sitting on their *kitten* all day and are realizing, "Hey, if I don't start exercising, I'm going to die tomorrow." For those people little 5lb weights and a 30 minute walk everyday will do them wonders and might give them a few more years of their life with a very low risk of them injuring themselves.

ETA: Yes, you are an outlier because 90% of the American population are not active and fit like you. You are not the general population, therefore you are an outlier and not the target audience of the article.

I quickly looked and couldn't find the article again..................but will keep trying. It wasn't a beginning point for people who've never exercised before or in a long time. It was a progression of decreasing exercise based on aging. For those over 70 the suggestions were even less intense.

I found it insulting personally.

If what you say is true, then yeah. They can go frack themselves.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Ageism is rampant in America. And it's often subtle - you just get this feeling of being slapped in the face by someone who thinks they're being well-meaning when their overriding attitude is based on outdated attitudes. It's more that irritating and requires constant vigilance to combat it. It's also very subtle. Don't think people are going to change their attitudes if you point it out either.

I just found on good response to the statement, "you look very good for your age." It's: "So do you." Don't thank someone for this comment. It isn't flattering.

I responded to the last ageist comment I received yesterday of, "You're looking very hip these days" with the comment of, "I always have been." On the surface that may not sound like an ageist comment, but in context with the delivery, it was.

You may be interested in these resources: http://theradicalagemovement.com and http://seniorplanet.org/planet-talk-live-ashton-applewhite/

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member

I wonder sometimes if women my age are afraid because our doctors, friends and even partners don't encourage us to try. I've fallen on my butt, my face, and have a permanent small dent in my forehead from walking into a bar at the squat rack.............none of them hurt that much..........LOL

exactly!! The thing is, my friends have seen me lose 45 pounds. They have seen my muscles pop out when I used to hide my arms all summer long. They know I do CrossFit 4-5 times/week, yet instead of asking for help or trying the gym,(which is awesome for beginners) they prefer to do nothing. I have found so much strength and motivation from posts such as yours. I love hearing others stories of how they turned it around. It keeps me going!

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    I think it is great that you are determined to stay healthy, OP. I wish other people shared your attitude toward life. Bodybuilding.com can be a troll haven, so tread lightly there. It is geared mostly to men, age 18-mid 30's. They are not going to be well informed on what the challenges are to lift at an older age (myself included), so therefore they are going to give you no response at all, or negative ones.

I am friends with a few people who are in their 50's and lift wayyy more than I do. It's totally doable, and I think that as long as you are smart about it, it will help you stay healthy and independent for a long time. I think the key is just slow, progressive overload with the weights, and knowing your limits. Overuse injuries occur at any age, as do bad form and random medical issues/illness (just got over a 2 week bout with pneumonia myself). For some reason a lot people over 50 just kind of stop using their bodies and decide to become frail. They just stop going out, stop doing the things they used to like. My grandpa could barely sit up at 75, but then I see other people at 85 walking around unaided, living by themselves still. My grandpa sat in a chair all day. Those other people did not.

So I say keep lifting, OP. Be smart, learn lots about proper form, work on your flexibility, get your macros dialed in, get lots of sleep, and pay attention to your body if it needs to rest or heal. You will deadlifting that 200lbs in no time!
  • luluinca
    Ageism is rampant in America. And it's often subtle - you just get this feeling of being slapped in the face by someone who thinks they're being well-meaning when their overriding attitude is based on outdated attitudes. It's more that irritating and requires constant vigilance to combat it. It's also very subtle. Don't think people are going to change their attitudes if you point it out either.

I just found on good response to the statement, "you look very good for your age." It's: "So do you." Don't thank someone for this comment. It isn't flattering.

I responded to the last ageist comment I received yesterday of, "You're looking very hip these days" with the comment of, "I always have been." On the surface that may not sound like an ageist comment, but in context with the delivery, it was.

You may be interested in these resources: http://theradicalagemovement.com and http://seniorplanet.org/planet-talk-live-ashton-applewhite/

Thanks for the links.............I get comments like that all the time too. I'll incorporate some of your clever responses......... ;)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think that MOST 65 year olds probably do need to be more conscious about their exercise, etc. because bones get weaker as we age, etc. I would suggest that you are DEFINITELY an outlier when it comes to this kind of stuff and that you may have a higher threshold for pain/discomfort due to your past obstacles.

BTW - I am going to be 47 years old in a few days, and I COMPLETELY agree with your outlook! I hope you keep on doing what you're doing and get that 200lb DL very soon!
    Actually bones get weaker when there's less stress on them. So exercising increases bone density.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I know that exercise increases bone density. I guess I meant that statement to be more applicable to folks who have not really done much in the way of exercise before and maybe need to ease into it rather than going full force into a program and getting injured.

I'd still maintain that OP is an outlier, and that the stuff on BB.com and other places (unfortunately) does not target people in her generation. Sounds like maybe an opportunity for her to do something about it....

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Brolympus wrote: »
    I think it is great that you are determined to stay healthy, OP. I wish other people shared your attitude toward life. Bodybuilding.com can be a troll haven, so tread lightly there. It is geared mostly to men, age 18-mid 30's. They are not going to be well informed on what the challenges are to lift at an older age (myself included), so therefore they are going to give you no response at all, or negative ones.

I am friends with a few people who are in their 50's and lift wayyy more than I do. It's totally doable, and I think that as long as you are smart about it, it will help you stay healthy and independent for a long time. I think the key is just slow, progressive overload with the weights, and knowing your limits. Overuse injuries occur at any age, as do bad form and random medical issues/illness (just got over a 2 week bout with pneumonia myself). For some reason a lot people over 50 just kind of stop using their bodies and decide to become frail. They just stop going out, stop doing the things they used to like. My grandpa could barely sit up at 75, but then I see other people at 85 walking around unaided, living by themselves still. My grandpa sat in a chair all day. Those other people did not.

So I say keep lifting, OP. Be smart, learn lots about proper form, work on your flexibility, get your macros dialed in, get lots of sleep, and pay attention to your body if it needs to rest or heal. You will deadlifting that 200lbs in no time!

^^^THIS is an awesome post, Brolympus. My parents are 77 & 75 years old and have remained active. They have had a few health issues (my Mom had both knees replaced, my Dad has arthritis in his back and thyroid issues) but thankfully aren't content to sit around and watch TV all day. I think it is very important for one to remain/be mobile as long as possible.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I am 62 and although I am not yet nearly as strong as OP I will get there. I started the Jason Blaha Ice Cream Fitness program about two months ago and I can already see and feel the difference. I am up to 5x5 95lb squats and 5 95lb deadlifts. I overhead press 70lb. I also do 5x5 chin-up and 5x5 dips with good form. It's motivation not age that makes the difference.