Age Discrimination?

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Thanks for all the great responses everyone...........I've really enjoyed them and found them enlightening and useful.

I would like to make one further comment or clarification, if you will. Perhaps I am a bit of an outlier, I don't really know and hadn't thought that much about it to be honest, but I think the real point is that maybe I shouldn't be. I'd like to think if more seniors were encouraged to strive a little harder for fitness rather than just accept the aging process and what they think that means for them, then there would be a hell of a lot more of us outliers. B)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    luluinca wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great responses everyone...........I've really enjoyed them and found them enlightening and useful.

I would like to make one further comment or clarification, if you will. Perhaps I am a bit of an outlier, I don't really know and hadn't thought that much about it to be honest, but I think the real point is that maybe I shouldn't be. I'd like to think if more seniors were encouraged to strive a little harder for fitness rather than just accept the aging process and what they think that means for them, then there would be a hell of a lot more of us outliers. B)

I agree with you, OP. I plan to be just like you! Keep setting a great example. :)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    I *WHOLEHEARTEDLY* agree with *EVERY* comment/point you made @luluinca!!!!!

52 and started lifting in March! Can’t stop the aging factor, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to let it control my life and stop me from living!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Working in a Wellness Center, the majority of people in the mornings to mid afternoons are seniors. Many are free weight lifters because they've been taught correctly how to do it and the benefits. Of course we have many more courses such as water classes, yoga, balance classes and chair exercise for them too, but the direction from all of them is the same........................activity.
    BB.com is a "bro" community of muscleheads looking directly at mass building primarily. Because age does matter when it comes to muscle hypertrophy, they don't focus on ages past 50 for hypertrophy or power lifts. But there are also many others that dissuade seniors not to lift heavy because they are still of the mindset that they are frail.
    You've got a good trainer. Stick with them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

My gym is part of a major health center and is used as a facility for rehab for those that don't need the specialized rehab center down the street. They have pretty much everyone lifting free weights, young and old. And if they can't lift - like the 100+ yr old guy that is wheelchair-bound - they have them using resistance bands.

FWIW OP, while you are definitely an outlier as far as the willingness to put in the work, you're not an outlier as far as having the physical capability of getting to that level if the work is done. Which I believe was your point.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

Exactly! It would really help if "senior" fitness activities were normalized in the mainstream media rather than treated as anomalous.

In theory, when you're retired you have MORE time to engage in fitness... just think of the huge market!
  • luluinca
    Thanks everyone!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I rarely listen to my doctors. I'm 57 and started running 4 years ago on hips that have been replaced twice. I was told I shouldn't do any running and stick with easy walking. 5,300 miles later with no wear on the hips, my doctor has finally acknowledged that my running and weight training might actually be helping me "despite my age".

Bravo. It's a good thing you have an independent mind, but sad there are doctors out there short-changing people of any age, young or old, from enjoying the benefits and pleasure of running and other vigorous exercise.

Now if only your doctor could drop his disclaimer "despite my age" and become more current on sports-med knowledge on the positive benefits of active exercise on joints and health for all ages.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Thanks both of you.

One of the points I'm trying to make, whether I'm an outlier or not, is that age shouldn't be an excuse to not improve or maintain our future health and fitness. And I don't think doctors or bodybuilding websites should put limits on people based on age......................and neither should we.

I fully concur- age should NEVER be an excuse for anything other than being young- and you have no say over that.

But- I wouldn't casually dismiss how the body ages and handles recovery and being aware of the way you need to treat your body as you age. I'm already/only 31... and I even in the past 5 years I can greatly tell how much recovery time I need- I can't get up as easily in the morning running on less sleep.

I can TELL my body isn't the same- I'm more kind to my body- stretching/yoga/somatic exercise is vital to my life as a dancer and even as a lifter. I think you should be aware and in tune with what your body needs... but absolutely not be making excuses for yourself just because of a number.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Why do we value an antique chair more than an older adult?

Ageism refers to discriminatory or prejudiced behavior and attitudes towards people based solely on age.

Ageism causes the systematic mistreatment and marginalization of people based on age alone, just as racism and sexism does so based on categories of skin color and gender.

For me, aging as a woman in America is less about injustices done to me than it is about a subtle undermining of my place within this society and a not-so-subtle disrespect that pops up more with each passing year. My age sets me up for a kind of disdain only partially experienced by younger women with the same views. The wisdom that comes with age has little value to anyone but those possessing it, because wisdom is another word for old, and old is what no one wants to be.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I can tell you that to be an aging woman in America is to be constantly bombarded by imagery and media that distance your younger feminist sisters from you, because the idea of no longer resembling those youthful images of femininity and becoming invisible terrifies them. It is just bizarre realizing that my appearance is something many young women dread.

Ageism is a life-altering injustice that affects women. If we continue to be erased in the second half of our lives, we will remain stuck in a perpetual cycle with greater social relevance in the first half of our lives, and the patriarchal axiom that women are only valuable when they are young, hot and fertile will continue unchallenged.

We should really make a conscious effort to stop putting down older women to set oneself apart from them and from an inevitable form of bigotry that cannot presently be escaped. Whatever you think of Madonna at 56, or Jamie Lee Curtis at 56, let’s acknowledge that most of us will one day be 56, if we aren’t already, and we’ll want to define for ourselves what that means.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    You know, I am 38 and watching my mom age is my primary motivation for getting healthy. She is 70 and her health is deteriorating rapidly. My dad passed away at 62 from Congestive Heart Failure after battling it for a decade. My dr said that most of his patients die of denial and I'm determined not to be another denial statistic.

I absolutely love to see people of all ages taking charge of their lives and their health. I will not follow in my parents footsteps health-wise. I plan to be as healthy and active as you are @luluinca at your age. I think that you are in the minority of people your age who really take charge of their fitness. I have begged, pleaded and would pay cold hard cash to get my mom into a health program. There is nothing I can say or do to get her moving so... I do what I can to prevent following the same path.
  • luluinca

Ageism refers to discriminatory or prejudiced behavior and attitudes towards people based solely on age.

Ageism causes the systematic mistreatment and marginalization of people based on age alone, just as racism and sexism does so based on categories of skin color and gender.

For me, aging as a woman in America is less about injustices done to me than it is about a subtle undermining of my place within this society and a not-so-subtle disrespect that pops up more with each passing year. My age sets me up for a kind of disdain only partially experienced by younger women with the same views. The wisdom that comes with age has little value to anyone but those possessing it, because wisdom is another word for old, and old is what no one wants to be.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I can tell you that to be an aging woman in America is to be constantly bombarded by imagery and media that distance your younger feminist sisters from you, because the idea of no longer resembling those youthful images of femininity and becoming invisible terrifies them. It is just bizarre realizing that my appearance is something many young women dread.

Ageism is a life-altering injustice that affects women. If we continue to be erased in the second half of our lives, we will remain stuck in a perpetual cycle with greater social relevance in the first half of our lives, and the patriarchal axiom that women are only valuable when they are young, hot and fertile will continue unchallenged.

We should really make a conscious effort to stop putting down older women to set oneself apart from them and from an inevitable form of bigotry that cannot presently be escaped. Whatever you think of Madonna at 56, or Jamie Lee Curtis at 56, let’s acknowledge that most of us will one day be 56, if we aren’t already, and we’ll want to define for ourselves what that means.

Thank you for you very observant and relevant thoughts.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Just keep doing what you love to do! Keep it rocking!!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member

While this is very valid, I have to add that, in general, our society has become so obsessed with me, me, me and basically 'up yours' attitude from so many. Respect. What's that? You see the lack of it everywhere and the opportunities to point it out are endless. It's terrible, but it also makes those you connect with that much more valuable.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2015
    Copied from my post reply to luluinca's original post in another thread:
    Great thread you guys... I took a wonderful workshop weekend many years ago as a Fitness Trainer for Third Age (what they call 'senior' fitness here in BC) at University of British Columbia. It was all on sport performance for seniors and realizing that a 60-90 age difference is 30 freakin' years - would we ever lump a 20 yr old in with a 50 yr old and treat their exercise prescription the same?? And assume that they have the same issues? NO!! Everyone is an individual and all exercise prescriptions need to be based on the individual's health at that particular time... NOT their age. I get tired of the stupid 'you are xx age so you must have these health problems and need to take it easy.' The same as people assuming that if you are young you must not have any chronic illness and be able to do anything someone else your age can do. UGH!
    Training helps EVERYONE, even those stuck in nursing homes. Everyone can improve (at their own rate).
    OK, my rant over, lol.
    As far as Osteoporosis goes, my 51 yr old bones tested as dense as 25yr old average. Most problems attributed to aging are actually from dis-use.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    This is exactly why my focus area for personal training is the 40+ crowd. Very few personal trainers understand how much mature and senior trainees are capable of and how important it is for them to train just as hard as anyone else. You have to be smart about it, but there is nothing you can’t do if you build up to it.

• luluinca
    This is exactly why my focus area for personal training is the 40+ crowd. Very few personal trainers understand how much mature and senior trainees are capable of and how important it is for them to train just as hard as anyone else. You have to be smart about it, but there is nothing you can’t do if you build up to it.

Thank you for saying that............my trainer agrees with you! And.............he expects a lot from me. ;)
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    I hope I look as good as you do when I'm 65.

Don't listen to the naysayers.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Woo Hoo!!! This is great!! I agree with you!
  • luluinca
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I hope I look as good as you do when I'm 65.

Don't listen to the naysayers.

Lol.......thanks, chances are you'll look better.............. :)
  • SallyRamona
    SallyRamona Posts: 73 Member
    I, too, get frustrated by this stuff! I grew up with a belief that age was just a number and yet many of the people who helped me to form that belief as a child are now succumbing to the "I'm just old." mentality! I have seen so many wonderful articles about men and women starting running, martial arts, acrobatics, and the like at age 65, 75 and 85+. Not to mention so many studies about "old age" doesn't have to be what it has always been and that most (if not ALL) so called "age related" illnesses could be deleted with movement, weight training and nutrition.

Another thing that frustrates me no end is that I am 36 years of age and even people I graduated high school with will post things like "I'm getting so old.", "I'm not as young as I was." and similar! WHAT?! No thank you. My role models run along the lines of Tao Porchon-Lynch, the world's oldest yoga teacher...she is 96 and can do things I can't (but am sure as heck going to!)

I just want to climb on a soap box every time I hear ANYONE make agist comments and list off all the reasons what they say is horse poop! Dr. Deepok Chopra and Dr. Christiane Northrup have some really wonderful books about aging. It is a goal of mine to somehow help others to release these agist views through fitness classes, seasonal women's retreats...maybe even as an inspirational speaker or something like that...