Understanding supplements - should I be taking them?

girlalmighty08
girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm wondering who out there takes supplements? I'm a 5'8" female, 187 lbs., and have been losing weight consistently for the past 4 months. I work out 5-6 times per week, mostly consisting of a variety of group fitness classes (cardio, strength training, kick boxing, Zumba). Would supplements be a good idea?

Curious to see who out there takes them, which ones, and why.

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I take a Vitamin B complex and it really helps my energy levels. I definitely noticed a decrease in my energy when I wasn't taking them. I also take cinnamon pills as they're supposed to be good for regulating sugar metabolism. I don't really know if they contribute or not, but it can't hurt.
  • girlalmighty08
    I'm thinking about taking a calcium supplement... and yes I have heard that about cinnamon too! I put it in my cereal and protein shakes all the time! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    With the exception of a multi vitamin and protein supplements, 90% of supplements are uneeded if you have a balanced diet. There are no such things as "fat burners", "detoxers", or "carb blockers". These are just names of products designed for you to spend money with little to no results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • girlalmighty08
    edited May 2015
    I'm not looking for any of those fad supplements, I'm talking about actual vitamin/mineral supplements.

You think a multi-vitamin is a good choice to take?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    I'm not looking for any of those fad supplements, I'm talking about actually nutritional supplements.

You think a multi-vitamin is a good choice to take?
    A multi should be enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I take:

Fish oil- Omega 3's
    Multi vitamin- Just in case
    Bee pollen- has completely cured my hayfever/allergies
    Grape seed extract and vitC- My dentist recommended this for healthy teeth and gums. It's also great for skin, vein problems and fluid.
    Calcium- Both my mum and grandma have osteoporosis, my doctor put me on it.
    Liquid Chlorophyll- For extra greens
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    I'm thinking about taking a calcium supplement... and yes I have heard that about cinnamon too! I put it in my cereal and protein shakes all the time! :smile:

I will say that last month when I took a combination magnesium, calcium and zinc, it really helped with my TOM symptoms. I actually ran out so I need to pick up another bottle.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    With the exception of a multi vitamin and protein supplements, 90% of supplements are uneeded if you have a balanced diet.

Even those things are unnecessary if you have a balanced diet. I think of them more as convenience/insurance supplements.

My favorite supplement = 2-3 grams combined epa/dha per day from a quality fish oil. This is followed closely by 2,000-5,000 IU Vitamin D3, since I'm indoors most of the time because of work.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    I'm wondering who out there takes supplements? I'm a 5'8" female, 187 lbs., and have been losing weight consistently for the past 4 months. I work out 5-6 times per week, mostly consisting of a variety of group fitness classes (cardio, strength training, kick boxing, Zumba). Would supplements be a good idea?

The only supplements that should be considered would be a balanced multi and fish oil, and even these vary depending on your diet. Of course, there's always the special scenarios which i'm not account for, these are just the general recommendations.

• carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    New research is coming out about fish oil supplementation and it may not be worth it. The ratios of omega 3-6-9 is key. " hypothesis is that levels of omega 6 are so high in our bodies that any more unsaturated fatty acid — even omega 3, despite its health benefits — will actually contribute to the negative effects omega 6 PUFA have on the heart and gut,”
    article link: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Fish+supplements+more+harm+than+good+researcher+finds/7857942/story.html
    abstract link http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114512005326
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    carakirkey wrote: »
    New research is coming out about fish oil supplementation and it may not be worth it. The ratios of omega 3-6-9 is key. " hypothesis is that levels of omega 6 are so high in our bodies that any more unsaturated fatty acid — even omega 3, despite its health benefits — will actually contribute to the negative effects omega 6 PUFA have on the heart and gut,”
    article link: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Fish+supplements+more+harm+than+good+researcher+finds/7857942/story.html

Incorrect. Ratios are meaningless, just as they are with just about everything when discussing nutrition.

People do not need to supp either 6 or 9. EPA/DHA content will be very low in these as well.

Omega 3 is where it's at... The benefits of 2-3 g of combined EPA/DHA per day are staggering. The science on fish oil is incredibly strong, it almost doesn't matter what your goals are... everyone should be taking it.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/05/omega-3-fatty-acids-for-muscle-growth.html
  • alekth
    alekth Posts: 33 Member
    I take fish oil and vitamin D. I'd also have some vitamin C during the winter, but not the rest of the time.
    Also protein shakes after a workout if I'm not going to have a proper meal soonish after that, or when I'm hungry out of schedule and likely to eat something way junkier.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I take a protein powder when needed, and a multivitamin and fish oil every day.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I've analyzed my actual intake, found it to be lacking in iron, and started taking a supplement on days I get <50% of my RDI. You should get most vitamins/minerals from your food. Look for nutritional gaps. You pee out most excess vitamins, making multivitamins (300% Vitamin C!) useless.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member

I take a multivitamin, krill oil capsules, whey protein, and creatine (before workouts). That's about it. I don't supplement BCAAs because I get enough of that through my diet, though I know a lot who do. I'm thinking of adding an additional calcium supplement because there's a history of osteoporosis in my family.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member

I take a multivitamin, krill oil capsules, whey protein, and creatine (before workouts). That's about it. I don't supplement BCAAs because I get enough of that through my diet, though I know a lot who do. I'm thinking of adding an additional calcium supplement because there's a history of osteoporosis in my family.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    The only one I currently take is a higher dose of D3, doctor's orders due to a deficiency. I was taking fish oil but my doctor told me to stop, so I went off that a few days ago.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    carakirkey wrote: »

Incorrect. Ratios are meaningless, just as they are with just about everything when discussing nutrition.

People do not need to supp either 6 or 9. EPA/DHA content will be very low in these as well.

Omega 3 is where it's at... The benefits of 2-3 g of combined EPA/DHA per day are staggering. The science on fish oil is incredibly strong, it almost doesn't matter what your goals are... everyone should be taking it.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/05/omega-3-fatty-acids-for-muscle-growth.html

My doctor actually just told me to stop taking it after she got my new blood work earlier this month, and also reviewing my woe. My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure are all great, and she said it wasn't going to really do anything beneficial for me at this point.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    I do the fish oil with vit D with my coffee (when I remember). It has strangely helped with anxiety. I've been adding magnesium to my dinner and alpha-lipoic acid when I don't eat so healthy. I've been building a collection looking at sports supplements like BCAA, NAC, pre-workout mixes and of course whey isolate. The multi-vitamin can be harmful if you are over doing vitamin A already. I sometimes will throw in one that has a B-12 added but maybe once a week.
    My newest additions are 5-HTP for serotonin production and CLA for stalling fat growth. I'm terrible!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

@MercuryBlue I would definitely look into starting calcium supplements. My mums doctor implored her to get us "kids" onto it, to hopefully prevent the osteo she and her mother and probably her mother had.