I am now a diabetic. Need to start

I found out that I am now a diabetic because of my weight. I am now taking Metaphormin or something like that. LOL.. I have used this site before with great results, but I lost all motivation two years ago and I gained back the weight. Now I am paying for it. I need some support and a good kick in the *kitten*.

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    I was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago. I was about 45 lbs overweight. My doctor put me on Metformin also. I lost a few lbs while on it because it helped control my hunger. I told my doctor I wanted to lose more weight. She put me on a medication called Victoza. This drug kicked my butt for about 3 months. I lost another 25 while taking it. It totally takes away your appetite. After 3 months I went off of it because I was pretty sure my eating was under control and I was right. I continued to lose the last of all my weight just counting calories and exercising. The key to diabetes control for me was weight loss. I am just telling you this because I feel Victoza saved my life.
    You can do this without Victoza, but you have to be consistent and realistic about your daily calorie goal. Diabetes is a tough diagnosis and one you want to turn around quickly. You can do this!
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Hi there, I was diagnosed last fall and am still working on getting it under control one day at a time! If you are looking for a friend to chat with, feel free to send me a friend invite.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    You can do it

I have reversed type 2.

Message me if you want some basic info. It was nothing but work and diet

A few supplements my trainer suggested

Just work it!!!
  • marshamelo13
    marshamelo13 Posts: 2 Member
    I too have type 2 diabetes and am on metformin and victoza. I lost 60 lbs when I started victoza 3 years ago but had to stop the medication and put back on 25 lbs. Now I'm trying a 1200 calorie diet along with this app. I started about 10 days ago and have lost 4 lbs. You need to eat more protein and fiber and less carbs and sugar. You can control diabetes with diet and exercise but most importantly discipline and willpower!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I was diagnosed a year ago January. Originally, I was put on metformin but my kidneys did not like it so I was changed to glipizide. I was given instructions to eat no more than 180 g of total carbs per day, divided pretty evenly among my meals.

Fast forward 10 months and I was taken off the medication after 2 straight a1c tests in the range of 5.5. I have maintained that number ever since. Oh, I also lost 109 lb. so far.
  • arturobarbosa
    arturobarbosa Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all the great information.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I almost got diagnosed with type 2. I was pretty high on the pre-diabetes scale, a small nudge up and I would have been officially diagnosed. I had quite a few fasting readings in the diabetic range but it was not enough to make it official because I had A1C readings of 6.3 and 6.4 which was lower than the official threshold for diabetes. I was not put on any medication because my doctor wanted to try lowering it naturally first with weight loss and exercise before stuffing me with pills. Having lost more than 90 pounds my fasting blood sugar now hovers around 75.

If you caught it early there is a chance you may be able to reverse it with weight loss and lifestyle changes. Stay strong and stay consistent. Best of luck!
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Many folks with T2DM also have hypothyroidism. get that checked. Low Carb works. Good luck.