Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    After a lot of considering it and then backing off in favor of trying to continue cutting, I am moving completely to recomp. I have one question--is there any need to be concerned with meal timing while recomping? I went back to page 30 and searching on "tim" and didn't see anything referring to meal timing but let me know if this has already been covered. I tend to be a 3 meal a day with maybe one small evening snack person but remember reading something saying that 4 meals with at least 30 grams of protein each are required. I don't *think* that is a requirement but wanted to check with those who know (much) more than me.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    @jemhh I don't recall seeing anything about meal timing, other than people with personal preferences. There's also a 2 part blog post about recomp you may want to check out. Just go the blog and search "recomposition"
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    After a lot of considering it and then backing off in favor of trying to continue cutting, I am moving completely to recomp. I have one question--is there any need to be concerned with meal timing while recomping? I went back to page 30 and searching on "tim" and didn't see anything referring to meal timing but let me know if this has already been covered. I tend to be a 3 meal a day with maybe one small evening snack person but remember reading something saying that 4 meals with at least 30 grams of protein each are required. I don't *think* that is a requirement but wanted to check with those who know (much) more than me.

That is unnecessary. Keep eating how you are, hit your protein minimum, lift progressively. BOOM you are in recomp!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    jemhh, I haven't seen anything on the timing either. I'm a believer in doing whatever works for you; I tried the several meals a day bit and really didn't like it--stopping to eat every couple of hours was a pain. I'm like you, I prefer to eat three meals a day with a small snack between lunch & dinner. I also have a protein shake when I come back from my workout (so lunch is usually small). I'm having to "re-start" recomp because I was out of commission for just over three months because of a broken wrist. Had to regain some of my strength back (and the use of my hand first); trying to lift when you have no strength and can't balance a weight doesn't work. I plan on re-starting in Jul. B)
  • jemhh
    Options
    That's good news then! I'm excited to jump into this whole hog. I've been starting to have negative physical side effects from cutting calories too much for my activity level and I think that this will help me get to a better place physically and mentally. I need to get a few good "before" pictures because I never did that at the beginning of my weight loss and I very much regret it.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    @jemhh I think the 4x30g of protein may be because of the max amt of protein that can be absorbed per meal. Don't ask me to quote sources, idk if it's fact - but it's often-repeated.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    @jemhh I think the 4x30g of protein may be because of the max amt of protein that can be absorbed per meal. Don't ask me to quote sources, idk if it's fact - but it's often-repeated.

It's not fact
  • jemhh
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @jemhh
    @Clarewho

There's a limit on the hourly rate at which protein can be absorbed but really all this means is that it hangs around in your small intestine until it can be.

The 30g a meal is more likely just a circular myth of "needing to eat every three hours" and "needing a very high amount of protein". Therefore "very high" divided by "every three hours" became 30g at a time.

If you are excreting excess protein you will probably be able to smell it!! (Sorry - TMI.)

Overall diet = important.
    Timing = unimportant.

Ha! Got it :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying I knew someone would correct me! :smiley:
  • MoBetta4Sure
    MoBetta4Sure Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, this should fit your personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

Soon to be 60 yrs old , 6'-1", 185, I am making great progress with my recomp. I have reduced my fat intake and have learned a little bit. But my sodium intake I can not seem to get control of, and I know sodium retains water. Is life flavorless in the fitness world?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, sodium is also needed by body, and your body wants to retain some water for all kinds of things.

If you mean excess sodium that is causing you some health issues and extra water retention beyond needed purely because of that - then sure.

But guess what, you gain 2 lbs of retained water, and your sodium intake remains constant, and you lose 1 lb of fat, guess what is still going to show up on the scale and tape measure?

You lower that 2 lb by changing sodium intake from a diet you won't keep - then it's just false weight loss - so what's the point.

Enjoy your food!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, this should fit your personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

Soon to be 60 yrs old , 6'-1", 185, I am making great progress with my recomp. I have reduced my fat intake and have learned a little bit. But my sodium intake I can not seem to get control of, and I know sodium retains water. Is life flavorless in the fitness world?

Would just add to what Heybales said - check your food diary entries carefully.
    There's loads of rubbish entries for sodium in the database, people confuse salt for sodium, confuse g and mg, have wild stabs at things (often too high), enter zero when it's plainly impossible. It's actually far from easy to be precise.

(Not that precision is really required unless you have particular issues to need to monitor or address....)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you "decorate" your own food and cut back on the overly processed food (if you cook something it's processed) you should be able to control most of your sodium intake. By overly processed I mean food items that have ingredients you can't pronounce. I still enjoy, pizza, cake, cookies, etc.; just only do occasionally and watch my portion sizes when I do indulge. Good luck! B)
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I am 4'10" female 37, and I weighed 102 2 months ago. I slimmed out by tracking intake (1200) and am feeling pretty good but I carry all my weight in my thighs. I also have cellulite so I decided to search for a different program to help me get stronger and more well defined. After lookin and reading suggestions from others, I began the strong curves program. I am only on week 2, (now eating 1400-1500 cal) but I weighed myself yesterday and I am 96 lbs. that kinda freaked me out and while that is still within true healthy range I am uncomfortable with that low number. So, my dilemma: I keep reading that to reduce body fat and Gail muscle it will be slow but k should eat at a 10-20% caloric deficit. I recalculated my tdee based on my new weight and estimating body fat based on pics (25% I'd say from looking at pics) and it put me at 1463. I don't want to really eat much under that at all, but if I follow the program will I lose body fat not eating at a deficit. Everything says if your fat % isn't low enough you won't see the definition and more sculpted look which is what I am going for. Advice appreciated!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

@jerb00 How often do you weigh yourself?

I weigh myself daily and it is not uncommon for my weight to normally fluctuate by 2 pounds. It will bounce around much more if I have a large meal, had a high sodium meal or monthly hormonal changes - it can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds if 2 of these things are happening simultaneously.

At your height and weight you are still a healthy weight - so don't panic! You can add another 100 calories to your daily intake and monitor your weight for downward trends. If it appears that the scale is moving down, add another 100 calories to your daily intake.

Reread the first post. You do not need to eat at a calorie deficit. Eat to maintain your weight while, get adequate protein, follow a lifting program.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @jerb00

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
    Here's my opinion/advice....

I weighed myself yesterday and I am 96 lbs. that kinda freaked me out and while that is still within true healthy range I am uncomfortable with that low number.
    So raise your calories.

So, my dilemma: I keep reading that to reduce body fat and Gail muscle it will be slow but k should eat at a 10-20% caloric deficit.
    Yes you would lose fat in that kind of deficit - but highly doubt you would gain muscle at 20% deficit.
    But it's a moot point as you want to be heavier so need to raise calories not have a deficit.
    For info: I'm sure our situations are different but I could only gain muscle at a miniscule deficit - 1lb a month!
    1lb a week saw my lean mass decline slowly.
    But again if you are underweight - eat more!

I recalculated my tdee based on my new weight and estimating body fat based on pics (25% I'd say from looking at pics) and it put me at 1463. I don't want to really eat much under that at all, but if I follow the program will I lose body fat not eating at a deficit.
    Far better to use your own logging data and actual weight results than a calculator.
    Yes recomp is all about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Recomp is what Bret Contreras does with some of his female physique competitors who are at the right weight but needs their physiques honing.

Everything says if your fat % isn't low enough you won't see the definition and more sculpted look which is what I am going for.
    Yes that's true. Definition comes mostly from low body fat but of course the more muscle you have the more you have to show and earlier it will show.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I freaked a little because right after college I was 96 lbs and I stopped getting my period. But you are right it is still in the healthy range and you are also right that there may be other factors at play. Especially since I don't weigh myself every day. In fact, I don't own a scale and only weigh myself every couple/several weeks when I get to my parents house.

I reread the first post and understand it but everything I have read elsewhere states that if you still have a good % of body fat then you can't get deduced without a deficit. But I'll follow the advice here and try out no deficit.

So, just to clarify, when you say I can eat 100 cals more do you mean above my tdee or above the deficit which would have been 1100 something...

Really appreciate your help!
  • jerb00
    Options

sijomial wrote: »
    @jerb00

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.
    Here's my opinion/advice....

I weighed myself yesterday and I am 96 lbs. that kinda freaked me out and while that is still within true healthy range I am uncomfortable with that low number.
    So raise your calories.

So, my dilemma: I keep reading that to reduce body fat and Gail muscle it will be slow but k should eat at a 10-20% caloric deficit.
    Yes you would lose fat in that kind of deficit - but highly doubt you would gain muscle at 20% deficit.
    But it's a moot point as you want to be heavier so need to raise calories not have a deficit.
    For info: I'm sure our situations are different but I could only gain muscle at a miniscule deficit - 1lb a month!
    1lb a week saw my lean mass decline slowly.
    But again if you are underweight - eat more!

I recalculated my tdee based on my new weight and estimating body fat based on pics (25% I'd say from looking at pics) and it put me at 1463. I don't want to really eat much under that at all, but if I follow the program will I lose body fat not eating at a deficit.
    Far better to use your own logging data and actual weight results than a calculator.
    Yes recomp is all about gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time. Recomp is what Bret Contreras does with some of his female physique competitors who are at the right weight but needs their physiques honing.

Everything says if your fat % isn't low enough you won't see the definition and more sculpted look which is what I am going for.
    Yes that's true. Definition comes mostly from low body fat but of course the more muscle you have the more you have to show and earlier it will show.

Thanks s-

I don't actually want to be heavier, exactly, I just didn't think I'd get that low. Make sense? I am tiny and so the number freaked me out a likely but I still got that junk - in - my - trunk look. Super slender and firm torso but jiggle bottom half. Am hoping to tighten and tone and just see what I can do with lifting (something I have never done before). Don't want to screw my body up not eating enough cals but don't want to work hard for nothing if I have too much fat on the bottom half to make a difference. Does that make sense? I get that if you are low you need to eat more calories, but i wasn't sure it was as simple as that in my situation. But maybe it is...

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. I freaked a little because right after college I was 96 lbs and I stopped getting my period. But you are right it is still in the healthy range and you are also right that there may be other factors at play. Especially since I don't weigh myself every day. In fact, I don't own a scale and only weigh myself every couple/several weeks when I get to my parents house.

I reread the first post and understand it but everything I have read elsewhere states that if you still have a good % of body fat then you can't get deduced without a deficit. But I'll follow the advice here and try out no deficit.

So, just to clarify, when you say I can eat 100 cals more do you mean above my tdee or above the deficit which would have been 1100 something...

Really appreciate your help!

Think about it this way:

You want to weigh more, and want fat as a % to be lower?

But that doesn't mean you need to lose any of the fat you have - if you gain muscle, fat will be lower as a % of that higher weight. Your body will be leaner, even if you keep all your fat. You have to eat some extra calories to gain that muscle, your body can't build it out of nothing. (If you get to the higher weight and still feel fat, you can then diet to lose some of the fat, but maybe all you need is some muscle to put things in shape.)

Does that make sense?