It hurts to go up stairs

So I'm 19 and pretty active. I can run 1-2 miles. So my endurance and leg strength is improving, but when it comes to stairs it hurts to go up a flight. Even when I go up stairs to my bedroom my legs hurt. I've done the stair master at the gym and it doesn't work my legs in the same way

Any tips/suggestions on what to do?

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    See a doctor?
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    What can they do about muscle pain?
  • VeganHippo
    VeganHippo Posts: 26
    What can they do about muscle pain?

Well you won't know unless you go. You seriously need to visit the doctor. You shouldn't be having these problems at such a young age.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    What kind of pain are you talking about? Is it your quads, hamstrings, calves? Try to be more specific, however, most of the people here are not doctors and cannot adequately diagnose your problem.
  • FFfitgirl
    My hope was someone had tips on exercises to build those stair climbing muscels. Not looking for medical advice. It's not my entire thigh just the part that's about 3 inches above my knee
  • Sqeekyjojo
    My hope was someone had tips on exercises to build those stair climbing muscels. Not looking for medical advice. It's not my entire thigh just the part that's about 3 inches above my knee

Climbing those stairs should help, then.
  • defmut3
    defmut3 Posts: 735 Member

Walk up the stairs.

And those are your quad muscles... If you're doing strength training and running like you said - Yeah, they'll be sore. Stop working them out if they're causing you problems.
  • FFfitgirl
    I go up the stairs 10 times a day. Run/ walk, squats lunges leg press etc. and it hasn't made a difference. I would think over time it would have gotten better.
  • defmut3
    defmut3 Posts: 735 Member
    I go up the stairs 10 times a day. Run/ walk, squats lunges leg press etc. and it hasn't made a difference. I would think over time it would have gotten better.

Well no... If you're doing those kind of work out's regularly, of course you're legs are going to be sore. but like I said, if you don't want them to be sore - stop doing them for a while.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Different muscle groups are used for different movements of your legs. Different parts of each muscle group are emphasized in different movements. And going up stairs is lifting your entire body weight against gravity. Even if you use a stairclimber machine, that doesn't allow for the forward motion as well, so if your quads aren't being worked in exactly the same way as is needed for walking up stairs, then you're going to feel it when you do. By the way, they're called quads because there's more than one in the assembly. You might be working some bits but not all until you add using the stairs into the equation.

Personally, stairs aren't a problem for me in the slightest. But stick me on one of those contraptions like the elliptical and I'm in genuine pain. But I also find the recumbent bike works the same area in a way the standard one doesn't. I only use the cardio machines as a warmup for weights. And I do a lot of exercise in water, which means I'm using my leg muscles in lots of different ways each week. So results may differ.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    You might need to give leg workouts a break for a couple of days.

It isn't uncommon to experience muscle aches when you change up your exercises. I often had leg pain after increasing my running distance, but the killer was going DOWN the stairs. And everyone cringes on stairs after a marathon. LOL

And loads of people post here about doing the 30-day Shred video and having achy legs. It's muscles saying, "Yeah, I'm awake now."