My bulk - A work in progress

Replies

• aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    A brief update, I've stopped doing the 5x5 workout, mainly due to it boring me to tears. I have made a lot of progress whilst doing the program in terms of strength, but I have not been happy in terms of size gains. I was reading a few days ago about gvt (German volume training). I started using the fundamentals of this program and mixing it with some of the compound lifts of the 5x5 program. I've got to say I'm loving it, I leave the gym feeling pumped everytime, but I also know I've put so much more effort in. I will update with some pics in a few weeks time.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    aown61 wrote: »
    A brief update, I've stopped doing the 5x5 workout, mainly due to it boring me to tears. I have made a lot of progress whilst doing the program in terms of strength, but I have not been happy in terms of size gains. I was reading a few days ago about gvt (German volume training). I started using the fundamentals of this program and mixing it with some of the compound lifts of the 5x5 program. I've got to say I'm loving it, I leave the gym feeling pumped everytime, but I also know I've put so much more effort in. I will update with some pics in a few weeks time.

StrongLifts is not a forever program, even though it is advertised as one. You definitely need to add more than just the base 5 exercises to get full development, and sprinkling in iso movements can help a lot despite Mehdi's hard stance that all you need are those particular lifts. I also stopped after about 4 months for the same reasons. You can get pretty strong without putting on any new muscle via developing your CNS. I like to mix strength and volume days to keep the variation going and bust plateaus before they happen. I have had a lot of success with it.
  • aown61
    Hey man, cheers for commenting, I think the trouble with stronglifts after using it for a while is that it is very much for a beginner, I hated coming out of the gym with no pump and feeling like I've not done anything. At the start you could do the whole routine without breaking a sweat!!
    Any tips for building my chicken legs up?

I liked the gvt leg program, never felt like I'm gonna fall down the stairs after doing legs before!!
  • aown61
    Dinner for work! I've gotta say all credit goes to the buff dudes channel 'food prep Sunday' I think it's a brilliant idea!! 0pkafvb7e1d0.jpeg
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    aown61 wrote: »
    Dinner for work! I've gotta say all credit goes to the buff dudes channel 'food prep Sunday' I think it's a brilliant idea!!

Buff Dudes are awesome. Love their channel, its hilarious.
  • aown61
    Some of their specials are brilliant!
  • aown61
    So here's a couple of updated pics.
    Any idea what's going on with my chest?
    It's looking abit wonky in pictures.
    2we87trgwfye.jpeg
    8ieuu7v8ezwk.jpeg
    37tc5nc1c4cw.jpeg
  • scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Excellent progress. I have a few questions though...how long have you been lifting? And, why did you choose a 5x5 for mass gains? The first question is because a routine is very much dependent on your current level, and choosing the wrong routine will definitely hinder or slow progress. Second, mass building (hypertrophy) is usually achieved in the 8-12 rep range, whereas strength is built with 5 reps or less (this, of course, is not an exact science). As far chest asymmetry, you could try focusing more on the weaker side, or, use dumbbells :) Great progress though, and remember diet is key.
  • aown61
    Cheers Scott, I've been a regular gym go'er for many years, but I would say I e only really started lifting again 'properly' in the last 6-9 months. I jacked the stronglifts programme in quite a while ago now, I think it helped get me back into the swing of lifting again more than anything, I soon became bored of the same thing again and again. It did however get me to focus on building my twiglet legs which can only be good! Lately (last 5-6 weeks) I have changed up for the gvt approach, which as you probably know is lots of volume! I also still incorporate my strength lifts around this.

I have really been focused on only doing dumbbell exercises for my chest for the last 5-6 weeks. It is too early to tell if it is having any effect on my chest! The weird thing is I don't look wonky through a mirror!! Its got me thinking I might have a bent spine or something!!
  • aown61
    Hey Folkes, it's been a while. My weight gain plateaued, but I'm happy to say that after some re-evaluation of calorie intake and alterations to my workout regime my weight has been slowly increasing again, yesterday weighed in at 85.2kg which I'm really pleased with. I'm really excited to be starting a new program in the next few days, and really happy with changes to the shape in my body so far.

Happy new year everyone!
  • aown61
    Hey all, so I'm almost at my goal weight of 14 stone :D!!!! I thought I'd update with some pics! Started the 12 week program by the buff dudes over at buffdudes.us yesterday, I'm hoping to see some good progress in the next few months.lbksu80l95n3.jpeg
    babpgn86qwis.jpeg
    2bd47yxkexwo.jpeg
    dc75mze60q8i.jpeg
  • aown61
    7 months apart!
    7cazstuxnb6m.jpeg
  • speerickson
    speerickson Posts: 8 Member
    Nice job man! I saw in one of your earlier posts you asked what's up with your chest and you also mentioned you used to do a lot of rowing. Your back could be overpowering your chest in size, so you might want to bench two or three times a week to work on it. Great progress!
  • aown61
    Nice job man! I saw in one of your earlier posts you asked what's up with your chest and you also mentioned you used to do a lot of rowing. Your back could be overpowering your chest in size, so you might want to bench two or three times a week to work on it. Great progress!

Thanks man, that's an interesting thought! The program I am following at the moment has just implemented chest twice a week so hopefully I'll see some improvement!
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Nice progress!
  • SaintSmithy
    SaintSmithy Posts: 7 Member
    Excellent progress! I'm currently at 74kg and hoping to bulk after I've finished my marathon in April. Think I'll also be starting the 5x5 strong lifts myself.

Any advice on what foods to eat and when?
    How many pounds should I be looking to put on a week?
  • aown61
    Excellent progress! I'm currently at 74kg and hoping to bulk after I've finished my marathon in April. Think I'll also be starting the 5x5 strong lifts myself.

Any advice on what foods to eat and when?
    How many pounds should I be looking to put on a week?

Hi SaintSmithy,
    Cheers for your comments.
    Are you used to lifting? I wouldnt really recommend the 5x5 program if you are a seasoned lifter, I found it useful only for getting back into lifting, to get a little strength back before hitting some more challenging programs. I would say do the 5x5 for a few weeks to start off only.
    For things to eat, there are many articles here stating which are calorie heavy foods, i would first workout what you enjoy eating and do a little research, you should be aiming for around a +250 cal surplus to your tdee for best results.
    I also didnt get hung up with hitting a certain weight by a certain time, i think aslong as you are gaining and not loosing your onto a winner.
  • Ih8Rain2
    Ih8Rain2 Posts: 77 Member
    What would be the weight on your deadlift, squat and bench press. I am about the same weight and I want is set myself some targets.
  • aown61
    What would be the weight on your deadlift, squat and bench press. I am about the same weight and I want is set myself some targets.

I'm deadlifting 220k, squatting 150k and benching 110k