Fat Free vs Farm Fresh

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Need2Exerc1se
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1728070/2?print=true for PB2, no vitamins listed.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4366/2 for smooth peanut butter, great source for Niacin, Folate, and Vitamin E.

PB2 is just peanut flour, and the USDA has a lot of vitamins listed for peanut flour.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4812?manu=&fgcd=
  • Need2Exerc1se
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce.. .

ingredients you cannot pronounce is simple a result of a lack of education on the subject matter- not an inferior quality product.

Wow. And this is the last time I ever post on here again.
    I didn't come on here to be attacked or called uneducated. I thought this was a forum to help each other out, not name call and disrespect.
    Shame on me for thinking people would comment with suggestions and their experiences as I asked..

I gave my experiences (check mark for me :) )

I don't think that post was calling you uneducated in general, just on the subject matter of food additives. If you had been educated on them you'd likely know how to pronouce them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    The packaging says 'eating right for healthy eating' but a quick glance at the nutrition and ingredients shows it has 480 mg of salt and a plethora of ingredients that I can't even pronounce.. .

ingredients you cannot pronounce is simple a result of a lack of education on the subject matter- not an inferior quality product.

I didn't come on here to be attacked or called uneducated. I thought this was a forum to help each other out, not name call and disrespect.
    Shame on me for thinking people would comment with suggestions and their experiences as I asked..

I gave my experiences (check mark for me :) )

I don't think that post was calling you uneducated in general, just on the subject matter of food additives. If you had been educated on them you'd likely know how to pronouce them.

precisely.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    @Need2Exerc1se
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1728070/2?print=true for PB2, no vitamins listed.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4366/2 for smooth peanut butter, great source for Niacin, Folate, and Vitamin E.
    I'm guessing that the site load up the data from the labels?
  • loeylovesyou
    loeylovesyou Posts: 21 Member

Well, that escalated quickly.

Every time people commented with their experiences, if they were somewhat different from yours, you seemed to perceive that you had somehow not explained yourself well, as though no one could possibly disagree with you if they understood your point.

So you thought insulting me was a good idea??
    I didn't think I had explained myself well based on the comments I had received back which is why I explained and posted an example.. Just thought this was supposed to be a safe place where people can discuss what's working for them and what isn't. Some people did just that and I appreciate the feedback; however disrespect was not something I thought I'd receive here, so yes in honor of my mental health I'm choosing not to communicate with rude people that hinder that part of my life.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I have to agree on the "whether you can pronounce it" thing. I can pronounce many things that I wouldn't eat.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'm guessing that the ingredients you don't know are the B vitamin names? There is nothing scary on that label.

I was thinking the same thing. Most of the ingredients are vegetables or added vitamins. Personally, I'd rather not have added vitamins, but I certainly wouldn't call them "unhealthy".

Seriously. I've heard the "I won't eat it if I can't pronounce it" for years, but how long did it take me to figure out how to pronounce quinoa?

As to the soup, that looked pretty good to me (although I'd need more calories to feel full at lunch). 480mg sodium is actually low for soup.

Yes! Quinoa. I pronounced like "kwin-o-ah" for quite some time before seeing it written phonetically. :o

me to. for like a year at least after it became super popular. I do it a lot with arabic words- it's really frustrating- I get laughed at a lot for trying to say things properly- but if no one has ever taught you- then how are you supposed to know?

I don't even think the people in the Andes know how to pronounce it. I think the call it making money off of gullible Americans
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    What was it on the label that you can't pronounce?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015

Well, that escalated quickly.

Every time people commented with their experiences, if they were somewhat different from yours, you seemed to perceive that you had somehow not explained yourself well, as though no one could possibly disagree with you if they understood your point.

I didn't think I had explained myself well based on the comments I had received back which is why I explained and posted an example.. Just thought this was supposed to be a safe place where people can discuss what's working for them and what isn't. Some people did just that and I appreciate the feedback; however disrespect was not something I thought I'd receive here, so yes in honor of my mental health I'm choosing not to communicate with rude people that hinder that part of my life.

You didn't just tell us what worked for you though. You told us what was bad for us. Many disagreed with you, but I don't think anyone actually insulted you.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    My pet peeve? Labelled fat-free Jell-O. It's always been fat-free. Gelatin is naturally fat-free.

I also hate lowered-fat peanut butter because they added SUGAR to "improve" it's taste. Besides, all the vitamins are in the fat!

The lowered fat margarines are just dreadful, all of them, because they replace the fat with WATER and that makes for soggy toast.

This is a good point.

I drink sugar free creamer, and my roommate drinks the same brand, but the fat free version. Guess which one has more calories? The fat free!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

who has insulted you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    anchovy? Huh, do you all think its to sub as the fish sauce that's usually in thai?

As anchovy is the fish commonly used in Thai fish sauce, I wouldn't consider it a substitution.

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2015
    anchovy? Huh, do you all think its to sub as the fish sauce that's usually in thai?

Possibly. give it that umami flavour
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I have to agree on the "whether you can pronounce it" thing. I can pronounce many things that I wouldn't eat.

Yeah, me too. But I do get the concept behind 'don't eat it if you can't pronounce it'. And I will admit to avoiding products that have a long list of additives with which I am unfamiliar (whether or not I can pronounce them). IDK if they are harmful or helpful, but I'd usually rather eat something else than take the time to research them to find out. I've got better things to spend my time on.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member

Telling you something different and correct from what you believe to be true and real isn't an insult. It's called being realisitic and providing information. No one insulted you and there was no disrespect at all. I'll probably be labelled as rude for telling you that you make mountains out of molehills.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    K, checked defatted peanut flour.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4367/2
    Still a good source for Niacin and Folate. The PB2 entry must be incomplete.

I got thinking along these lines because of eggs. The egg yolk, which is fattier and has more calories, also has all the fat soluble vitamins. It was because of eggs that I started to re-think fats.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    "natural" is the biggest marketing gimmick in the grocery store. It means nothing. Its right up there with the use of "evaporated cane juice" as an ingredient instead of "sugar."
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Yeah, me too. But I do get the concept behind 'don't eat it if you can't pronounce it'. And I will admit to avoiding products that have a long list of additives with which I am unfamiliar (whether or not I can pronounce them). IDK if they are harmful or helpful, but I'd usually rather eat something else than take the time to research them to find out. I've got better things to spend my time on.

Right. My current favorite bread recipe:

04eeb5c1ea1eee0cba18768d588c6c09.png

Bread I buy:

f8f0f6bcc9c0d64a1f3cde8de9d722ad.png

Bread I don't buy

fb8582ca4ed1db464c2e79194b758d1f.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    OP, I get your point about not believing marketing claims on labels too much and not confusing "fat free" for "low cal" or "nutrient dense" or whatever your preferences are, but I think MFP is largely convinced on those things already.

I agree with the poster above who said that people can go overboard and assume lower fat is always bad, and it's not -- fat free and low fat dairy are good examples.

Here's an example of the ingredient list for a common "diet" kind of frozen meal, an Amy's Light & Lean: http://www.amys.com/products/product-detail/light-lean/000065. Not my thing for many reasons (too low in calories and likely not that filling; I prefer my own cooking and can make it fit my preferences much better), but that it's low fat doesn't make it full of extra, unhealthy ingredients or any such thing that I can see.

On the other hand, a non-diet frozen meal may have as long a list of ingredients as anything else (and whether that should matter is a separate issue). Here's an example: http://www.freezerburns.com/wordpress/2011/03/03/review-of-hungryman-classic-fried-chicken/

If I had to pick one -- and I don't, happily -- I'd go with the Amy's, easily. (And supplement since I'd have plenty of leftover calories.)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I think that it all comes down to taking the time to understand what these things really mean. There is a lot of fear-mongering that goes on unnecessarily. Calling things 'food-like substances' simply because they come in a box, the whole "don't eat it if you can't pronounce it," etc ...

Take a bit of time and effort to find out what all those scary-sounding ingredients are. A lot of them end up being innocuous. Some may even be beneficial (vitamins, for example). And there are some that you may prefer to avoid. But make that decision based on actual knowledge, not some sound-bite you've heard somewhere.

And decide what works for you and do that. Don't bad-talk other people's food choices, or insinuate that later on it will come back to harm them.