Sharing my NSV with PCOS

s_y8s
s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
Hi everyone! It is day #17 on this journey. I am so thankful! I began low carb and was put on Metformin a few weeks ago. I have struggled with PCOS for 8 years now and I'm finally starting to overcome it and lose this weight. Not only am I losing weight, I feel great! I haven't had this much energy in a long time! PCOS makes you very tired, emotional for no reason, not able to lose weight, etc. I could go on and on with the list of its affects on your body. I took a leap of faith a month ago and went to an endocrinologist because I had enough with struggling with PCOS She did bloodwork and found out my hormone levels were off. Put me on Metformin and a low carb lifestyle and I'm doing wonderful. No symptoms while on it either, which is huge! I just have to be careful with eating certain foods. I just wanted to share in my excitement. It's not always about looking good, sometimes all someone wants is to feel good. After I lose weight I hope to get pregnant, that is my dream!! Thank you for taking the time to listen to me. I hope this encourages someone with PCOS!
Here's a picture of me today. I was so overwhelmed with joy and energy this morning.
n7vyav4cvxmb.jpg

Replies

• JasmineAmber3
    JasmineAmber3 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much for your post I've just started on Metformin for pcos and found your post really inspiring!

I've been trying to get pregnant for two years with no success so hopefully with metformin and my commitment to loosing weight it will happen!! :)
  • s_y8s
    Thank you so much for your post I've just started on Metformin for pcos and found your post really inspiring!

I've been trying to get pregnant for two years with no success so hopefully with metformin and my commitment to loosing weight it will happen!! :)

Well I'm here for you girl! Prayers for you!
  • s_y8s
    jadob_123 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that ...and i hope you will get pregnant soon !

Here's a picture of me hoping you will get pregnant and be happy soon !

otneuxrl4moo.jpg

Thanks
  • MorbidCutie575
    MorbidCutie575 Posts: 24 Member
    I believe I have PCOS since I have every single symptom. I was unable to get pregnant after almost 8 years of trying. Once I dropped almost 50lbs, I was pregnant in less than a year the first time I tried! Good luck to you :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    s_y8s wrote: »
    Hi everyone! It is day #17 on this journey. I am so thankful! I began low carb and was put on Metformin a few weeks ago. I have struggled with PCOS for 8 years now and I'm finally starting to overcome it and lose this weight. Not only am I losing weight, I feel great! I haven't had this much energy in a long time! PCOS makes you very tired, emotional for no reason, not able to lose weight, etc. I could go on and on with the list of its affects on your body. I took a leap of faith a month ago and went to an endocrinologist because I had enough with struggling with PCOS She did bloodwork and found out my hormone levels were off. Put me on Metformin and a low carb lifestyle and I'm doing wonderful. No symptoms while on it either, which is huge! I just have to be careful with eating certain foods. I just wanted to share in my excitement. It's not always about looking good, sometimes all someone wants is to feel good. After I lose weight I hope to get pregnant, that is my dream!! Thank you for taking the time to listen to me. I hope this encourages someone with PCOS!
    Here's a picture of me today. I was so overwhelmed with joy and energy this morning.
    Great job taking steps to feel better! You look great too. :)
  • s_y8s
    RodaRose wrote: »
    s_y8s wrote: »
    Great job taking steps to feel better! You look great too. :)

Thank you so much!!
  • Kgrrrl84
    Kgrrrl84 Posts: 1 Member
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance. I have two things trying to bring me down! Today is day one of the low carb/Metformin regimen. Pairing that with exercise as well. Just looking for some motivation and support as I begin my journey. I wish you the best on your journey!
  • suzyne32
    suzyne32 Posts: 2 Member
    You look great! I've had pcos for many years. I started metformin three weeks or so ago. I was having trouble controlling my weight and having cravings for sugar. I had some minor issues with the metformin but overall it seems to be helping I'm starting to lose weight. I've used the pink method in the past for weight loss and had some success it's pretty much low carb.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 518 Member
    I don't know how motivational it will be for you, but my wife was undiagnosed-PCOS and became pregnant ten years ago with our son, even though she was untreated and significantly overweight. Now that she's been properly diagnosed, and is also hypothyroid and JRA (already known, but no meds at that time), she's losing weight too. Even with metformin, she's down 25 pounds in two months, and I couldn't be more proud of her!
  • s_y8s
    I hate to report this but I had to come off the Metformin yesterday. I had an adverse reaction to it. I stopped it because if I didn't, I wouldn't be here anymore. Gonna try the natural route now and believe God for healing.
  • aspersions
    aspersions Posts: 8 Member
    i have PCOS and metformin wasn't for me, either. hang in there!
  • s_y8s
    aspersions wrote: »
    i have PCOS and metformin wasn't for me, either. hang in there!

Thanks! It just sucks because at first I was doing awesome and then all hell broke loose.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Are you taking the extended release pills? They're much easier on the stomach!
  • ashcollett11
    ashcollett11 Posts: 2 Member
    I have PCOS and have been trying to stay away from the medications (metformin and birth control). Is it easier to lose weight with the metformin?
  • brandiewhy
    brandiewhy Posts: 14 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 years old (Lets not discuss that that was 13 years ago..yikes!) And never did any of my doctors think to put me on Metformin or anything of the sort. I managed to get pregnant with my son almost 9 years ago, and delivered a happy healthy little boy.
    Fast forward to this year, when I finally went back to a doctor for my PCOS and asked for some help. I didnt want help losing weight (I have lost 54 pounds on my own!) but I did want help getting pregnant again. We have been struggling with secondary infertility for the past 7 years that we have been trying. My doctor put me on Metformin, and lucky me...got the insane stomach issues that are associated with the drug and I was miserable. I went back TODAY and asked for something else, and was put on the Extended release Metformin. Im hoping that the stomach issues arent as severe and it can help with the insulin resistance, weight loss, and infertility.
    I know all the issues that go along with having PCOS...so if you ever need an ear, or some support, im here!
    You are a beautiful woman, and you've GOT THIS! <3
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    I have been taking Chromium supplements, started with 500mCg twice a day for a month and increased to 100mCg twice a day. It's been 2 months and there is a noticeable difference in appetite. I am not craving or thinking about food constantly like I was before. I can actually get full with an appropriate sized meal. It doesn't seem to matter if I take it with a meal or not, hasn't caused any stomach upset. I am starting Metformin today and will see how it goes. The Chromium might be something to ask your Doctor about and research on to see if it's right for you.

I have also been on an ~1800 calorie/day, lower carbs than I had been eating, and doing at least 20 minutes of exercise 5x a week. I've only lost 10 lbs but am down 23 inches!
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    i had good results with pcos with atkins/southbeach type diets. it helped w the extra weight & acne and i've had no trouble getting pregnant 4x . believing you will have healing too!
  • s_y8s
    brandiewhy wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 years old (Lets not discuss that that was 13 years ago..yikes!) And never did any of my doctors think to put me on Metformin or anything of the sort. I managed to get pregnant with my son almost 9 years ago, and delivered a happy healthy little boy.
    Fast forward to this year, when I finally went back to a doctor for my PCOS and asked for some help. I didnt want help losing weight (I have lost 54 pounds on my own!) but I did want help getting pregnant again. We have been struggling with secondary infertility for the past 7 years that we have been trying. My doctor put me on Metformin, and lucky me...got the insane stomach issues that are associated with the drug and I was miserable. I went back TODAY and asked for something else, and was put on the Extended release Metformin. Im hoping that the stomach issues arent as severe and it can help with the insulin resistance, weight loss, and infertility.
    I know all the issues that go along with having PCOS...so if you ever need an ear, or some support, im here!
    You are a beautiful woman, and you've GOT THIS! <3

Thank you!!
  • s_y8s
    FitMomOK wrote: »
    i had good results with pcos with atkins/southbeach type diets. it helped w the extra weight & acne and i've had no trouble getting pregnant 4x . believing you will have healing too!

Yes and amen!!