Clean Eating v Organic

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Organic food is designated organic based on growing practices; if you see something labeled "organic" in the grocery store, it means that it has met certain standards to have that label (although you should check what the standards are for the label, your definition of "organic" could be different from what the actual law states as acceptable practices and limits).

Clean eating is not a designation, but an eating style. People's definitions of the term vary, however the most general definition would probably be "a diet with an emphasis of whole or minimally-processed foods, which minimizes or avoids heavily-processed or prepackaged convenience foods." That seems to be the most frequent explanation I've seen clean eaters have in common, and even that general definition is tweaked based on the individual. Each person seems to have their own comfort levels in regards to foods, levels of processing, and frequency of consumption. If someone asked for clean eating recipes, I would probably ask them to clarify the specifics of their diet, just like I would a vegetarian, simply because there seems to be a myriad of different styles within that umbrella term (much like there is with vegetarians).

If you're interested in learning more about clean eating, there's a pretty active group here on MFP, they would probably be a good resource to explain that way of eating and what different individuals include in their diet.

This.

Ignore the ridiculous statements about clean eating as a moral position. That has to do with the insecurity of the offended parties and nothing to do with food...
    Seeing as you felt the need to call my statement ridiculous, I have to wonder who you think is actually insecure?
    I can actually back up the assertion that call things clean in contexts where it doesn't belong has to do with most of our reactionary morality coming out of the disgust center of the brain. Which makes it ironic that an area designed to judge food, has gone to judging morals, and via morals, back to judging food. Poor insular cortex must be confused.
    There are metaphors that are universal because evolution doesn't create new things, it works on existing structures, so a lot of metaphorical things get mapped to actual sensory processing areas of the brain. You'll find every culture has a concept of moral disgust, and every culture has a concept of warm/cold people, and neither is coincidental.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Organic food is designated organic based on growing practices; if you see something labeled "organic" in the grocery store, it means that it has met certain standards to have that label (although you should check what the standards are for the label, your definition of "organic" could be different from what the actual law states as acceptable practices and limits).

Clean eating is not a designation, but an eating style. People's definitions of the term vary, however the most general definition would probably be "a diet with an emphasis of whole or minimally-processed foods, which minimizes or avoids heavily-processed or prepackaged convenience foods." That seems to be the most frequent explanation I've seen clean eaters have in common, and even that general definition is tweaked based on the individual. Each person seems to have their own comfort levels in regards to foods, levels of processing, and frequency of consumption. If someone asked for clean eating recipes, I would probably ask them to clarify the specifics of their diet, just like I would a vegetarian, simply because there seems to be a myriad of different styles within that umbrella term (much like there is with vegetarians).

If you're interested in learning more about clean eating, there's a pretty active group here on MFP, they would probably be a good resource to explain that way of eating and what different individuals include in their diet.

This.

Ignore the ridiculous statements about clean eating as a moral position. That has to do with the insecurity of the offended parties and nothing to do with food...

and this would be how "religious" level arguments get perpetuated. The dumbest thing about all these threads is that we end up agreeing that eating mostly nutritious food, with care for the overall nutrition in the diet is what matters most, and NOT "good or bad" in the individual foods that make up the diet.

But it's just personal vocabulary preference. "mostly nutritious food" implies that other food is not nutritious. Some people (including me) choose to call the not nutritious stuff bad or junk. So what?

I agree with you on the "junk" thing and I don't care much about the "bad" thing unless someone seems to be using it in a way that suggests she is beating herself up -- seeing herself as "bad" when she eats "bad food." I've seen this often enough that I worry about it and think it's best to focus on factual elements about food (the nutritional content, what it adds and what it does not) and not labels like "bad" and "good." But if you are someone who can happily eat food you consider "bad," I wouldn't think it was a harmful label for you or care all that much. It's guilt and shame attached to eating decisions that I find damaging.

(Junk is such a normalized term that I expect most of us could say we eat junk food occasionally -- however we define it -- without it seeming a slam on ourselves. I'm just never sure if something like homemade pie is or is not included in a particular person's definition of "junk" food. I suppose I'd include it if it's about micronutrient per calorie.)

My issue with "clean eating" isn't that some foods don't contribute more than others -- of course they do. It's the idea that being "processed" makes something "bad" or "junk" independent of its actual nutritional profile. Or that eating ANY processed food makes a diet less healthful (and is apparently akin to eating only Twinkies, from how these discussions usually go).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

This.

and this would be how "religious" level arguments get perpetuated. The dumbest thing about all these threads is that we end up agreeing that eating mostly nutritious food, with care for the overall nutrition in the diet is what matters most, and NOT "good or bad" in the individual foods that make up the diet.

But it's just personal vocabulary preference. "mostly nutritious food" implies that other food is not nutritious. Some people (including me) choose to call the not nutritious stuff bad or junk. So what?

If I want to say I need to clean up my diet and quit eating so much junk, that's my biz. It has nothing at all to do with you or religion or morality. It's just the way I choose to talk. It's a big world man. People don't all use the same phrases.

Exactly. That's the problem with using these bland phrases that don't have a defined meaning to everyone. People ask, over and over, what they mean, and everyone argues about it. Clean means one thing as a word by itself, but when you put it together with another word, it starts to define that other word in ways that become somehow undefineable. Healthy is another word that does that. Junk is another. If we just keep 'eating' and 'food' defined as they are, without throwing a bunch of kitschy bull in with them, we all know what we mean and just eat and leave the whole mess alone.

Or, we could just let people be who they are and talk as they like without trying to force them into a predefined mold.

Who doesn't know what "junk" is? Junk is something we all have but don't want too much of. Whether it's junk in your attic, your closet or your diet. We all have junk we just can't seem to let go of, but no one wants too much junk around. It's doesn't really matter if I think X is junk and you think X is not junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Problem being when trying to help new people who are struggling, they are vilifying their own food, and that's not a healthy mindset. It leads to disordered thinking and possibly eating. If we can catch people right at the start, and help them understand that it's not the food that's the problem, it's how they think and eat, we've solved so much. Labeling is something to avoid. Food is just food and we can skip labeling it. Look at how many threads in this very forum devolve into arguments and the original point gets lost because of food labeling. That's a terrible thing.

for example, lets take something that most would agree is "junk". A white flour biscuit. As far as calories go, you have wheat and fat, and next to no micronutrition and almost no fiber.

Lets say the biscuit is a quite large at about 600 calories.

For someone who is only taking in about 1500 calories, that's a pretty high % of the diet that is now filled with "junk". Probably not the best choice for this person as it will now be harder to get adequate nutrition out of food that is palatable in 900 calories.

But, take a larger man doing lots of exercise in a day who may eat 3500-4000 calories to maintain their weight. Suddenly that biscuit could be seen as beneficial, because if the rest of the diet is whole food, you have 600 calories of easily accessible calories that doesn't overly bulk up the rest of the diet, as this person likely would eat plenty of healthy calories in the 3000ish left.

Suddenly what was "junk" put in context becomes beneficial.

That is the first time I have ever seen a white flour biscuit (homemade or otherwise) classified as "junk", and this is the perfect example of something @lemurcat12 is pointing out. You are saying we can all agree this is "junk". What about that would anyone ever think is junk, let alone the majority of people? A homemade biscuit? A delicious vehicle for butter, jam, honey, or gravy? Junk?

I will admit that things like a bag of doritos or something like that has a more universally accepted classification of junk, even though I don't classify them that way I understand when someone else labels doritos as junk. But a biscuit?

• lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

This.

That's pretty funny. I'd say it's those who eat basically the same as others here but feel the need to congratulate themselves by claiming to be "clean eaters" because they cut down the number of times they go to McD's or the like are the ones who are insecure. Feeling a need for a special label is ridiculous.

That's for those who -- as kgeyser says -- eat basically the same way as most of the rest of us (preferring a nutrient dense diet, largely focusing on whole or minimally processed foods, using other foods as it fits our goals or in moderation). This probably is the majority of those who claim to be "clean eaters" on MFP.

But when I ask for a definition I am often given the two criteria I identified above, and those really are substantial and factual claims and therefore are worth discussion. So if you are someone who really practices moderation but just really gets off on calling yourself a "clean eater" -- never mind.

If you do, in fact, believe the "clean eating" claims that would distinguish someone from the rest of us (ALL processed foods are bad, context doesn't matter), then I'd love to discuss those differences, as I think the clean eating position is just factually incorrect as a matter of nutrition.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This.

If I want to say I need to clean up my diet and quit eating so much junk, that's my biz. It has nothing at all to do with you or religion or morality. It's just the way I choose to talk. It's a big world man. People don't all use the same phrases.

Exactly. That's the problem with using these bland phrases that don't have a defined meaning to everyone. People ask, over and over, what they mean, and everyone argues about it. Clean means one thing as a word by itself, but when you put it together with another word, it starts to define that other word in ways that become somehow undefineable. Healthy is another word that does that. Junk is another. If we just keep 'eating' and 'food' defined as they are, without throwing a bunch of kitschy bull in with them, we all know what we mean and just eat and leave the whole mess alone.

Or, we could just let people be who they are and talk as they like without trying to force them into a predefined mold.

Who doesn't know what "junk" is? Junk is something we all have but don't want too much of. Whether it's junk in your attic, your closet or your diet. We all have junk we just can't seem to let go of, but no one wants too much junk around. It's doesn't really matter if I think X is junk and you think X is not junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Problem being when trying to help new people who are struggling, they are vilifying their own food, and that's not a healthy mindset. It leads to disordered thinking and possibly eating. If we can catch people right at the start, and help them understand that it's not the food that's the problem, it's how they think and eat, we've solved so much. Labeling is something to avoid. Food is just food and we can skip labeling it. Look at how many threads in this very forum devolve into arguments and the original point gets lost because of food labeling. That's a terrible thing.

for example, lets take something that most would agree is "junk". A white flour biscuit. As far as calories go, you have wheat and fat, and next to no micronutrition and almost no fiber.

For someone who is only taking in about 1500 calories, that's a pretty high % of the diet that is now filled with "junk". Probably not the best choice for this person as it will now be harder to get adequate nutrition out of food that is palatable in 900 calories.

But, take a larger man doing lots of exercise in a day who may eat 3500-4000 calories to maintain their weight. Suddenly that biscuit could be seen as beneficial, because if the rest of the diet is whole food, you have 600 calories of easily accessible calories that doesn't overly bulk up the rest of the diet, as this person likely would eat plenty of healthy calories in the 3000ish left.

That is the first time I have ever seen a white flour biscuit (homemade or otherwise) classified as "junk", and this is the perfect example of something @lemurcat12 is pointing out. You are saying we can all agree this is "junk". What about that would anyone ever think is junk, let alone the majority of people? A homemade biscuit? A delicious vehicle for butter, jam, honey, or gravy? Junk?

I will admit that things like a bag of doritos or something like that has a more universally accepted classification of junk, even though I don't classify them that way I understand when someone else labels doritos as junk. But a biscuit?

The term junk food is a great one - it saves me time having to list all the foods I am choosing to limit in my diet.

Biscuits, jam and honey are all junk food.

I don't avoid them, but they are limited and do not make up the main part of my diet.

It's all about being efficient - in this instance I am able to use two words instead of four!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This.

I agree with you on the "junk" thing and I don't care much about the "bad" thing unless someone seems to be using it in a way that suggests she is beating herself up -- seeing herself as "bad" when she eats "bad food." I've seen this often enough that I worry about it and think it's best to focus on factual elements about food (the nutritional content, what it adds and what it does not) and not labels like "bad" and "good." But if you are someone who can happily eat food you consider "bad," I wouldn't think it was a harmful label for you or care all that much. It's guilt and shame attached to eating decisions that I find damaging.

(Junk is such a normalized term that I expect most of us could say we eat junk food occasionally -- however we define it -- without it seeming a slam on ourselves. I'm just never sure if something like homemade pie is or is not included in a particular person's definition of "junk" food. I suppose I'd include it if it's about micronutrient per calorie.)

My issue with "clean eating" isn't that some foods don't contribute more than others -- of course they do. It's the idea that being "processed" makes something "bad" or "junk" independent of its actual nutritional profile. Or that eating ANY processed food makes a diet less healthful (and is apparently akin to eating only Twinkies, from how these discussions usually go).

But why do you care so much that others think processed food is bad? I can understand not agreeing. I can't understand the need to try and stop others from thinking it. Why is it such a big deal?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This.

The term junk food is a great one - it saves me time having to list all the foods I am choosing to limit in my diet.

I don't avoid them, but they are limited and do not make up the main part of my diet.

It's all about being efficient - in this instance I am able to use two words instead of four!

Don't you think it's confusing to use a term that means entirely different things to different people? Someone will say they are limiting "junk food" and mean bacon, you will say that and mean homemade whole-grain bread.

I don't find the term junk food bothersome, but it is slightly annoying that there's not a better common definition. As WinoGelato said, I generally assume Doritos are included or a Twinkie, and often fast food (even if it has protein) or bacon (same), and I guess homemade sweets, but I wouldn't have assumed homemade starch courses, even when relatively low in nutrients. And someone just yesterday insisted that potatoes were in this category. If someone told me they didn't eat meat, I'd know not to have lamb when they come over for dinner, but if someone says they avoid "junk food," I would not know to leave out the roasted potatoes. (Which I consider nutritious, for the record.)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No one cares what any one of us chooses to eat or not to eat personally. Frankly, none of us are that interesting to the group as a whole.

People DO tend to care when people preach what other people MUST eat or (more commonly) MUST NOT eat.

Why this seems to constantly be a mystery to other long-time posters of this board baffles me.
  • senecarr
    Options

This.

Don't you think it's confusing to use a term that means entirely different things to different people? Someone will say they are limiting "junk food" and mean bacon, you will say that and mean homemade whole-grain bread.

I don't find the term junk food bothersome, but it is slightly annoying that there's not a better common definition. As WinoGelato said, I generally assume Doritos are included or a Twinkie, and often fast food (even if it has protein) or bacon (same), and I guess homemade sweets, but I wouldn't have assumed homemade starch courses, even when relatively low in nutrients. And someone just yesterday insisted that potatoes were in this category. If someone told me they didn't eat meat, I'd know not to have lamb when they come over for dinner, but if someone says they avoid "junk food," I would not know to leave out the roasted potatoes. (Which I consider nutritious, for the record.)
    You should call them boxed food because apparently no good food comes from a box.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This.

But why do you care so much that others think processed food is bad? I can understand not agreeing. I can't understand the need to try and stop others from thinking it. Why is it such a big deal?

I don't care unless they tell others that they shouldn't eat "processed foods" or that doing so is not healthy. When they make the latter claim it's a factual assertion that I think should be countered.

It's is true that if someone says that they don't eat processed food I assume they are lying or using a dishonest definition of "processed" and it affects my opinion of them, but I don't say anything unless they seem to be bragging or condemning others -- like an OP who starts a thread saying "I don't eat processed food--why don't the rest of you eat real food like me!" or "I'm disgusted by the fact that no one here cares about nutrition or cuts out processed foods."

I am not bothered at all by personal decisions to cut out foods, even ones I would never cut out barring an allergy or sensitivity (like legumes). If someone says they are paleo and asks for help I usually just steer them to some recipe sites or the like.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

This.

Who would classify 'bacon' as junk food??????

• senecarr
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    No one cares what any one of us chooses to eat or not to eat personally. Frankly, none of us are that interesting to the group as a whole.

People DO tend to care when people preach what other people MUST eat or (more commonly) MUST NOT eat.

Why this seems to constantly be a mystery to other long-time posters of this board baffles me.
    Nah. I actually break into the houses of clean eaters and secretly inject their vegetables with ice cream, crushed dorito powder, and enough artificial sweetener to kill an ant hive.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

This.

IRL if someone was coming to dinner I would ask for clarification if they mentioned a confusing dietary restriction. What I wouldn't do is go into a rant about how they shouldn't use a word that confuses me to describe this or that.

On the forums, I may or may not ask for clarification. Still wouldn't rant about what terms I think they should or should not use.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

This.

I don't care unless they tell others that they shouldn't eat "processed foods" or that doing so is not healthy. When they make the latter claim it's a factual assertion that I think should be countered.

It's is true that if someone says that they don't eat processed food I assume they are lying or using a dishonest definition of "processed" and it affects my opinion of them, but I don't say anything unless they seem to be bragging or condemning others -- like an OP who starts a thread saying "I don't eat processed food--why don't the rest of you eat real food like me!" or "I'm disgusted by the fact that no one here cares about nutrition or cuts out processed foods."

I am not bothered at all by personal decisions to cut out foods, even ones I would never cut out barring an allergy or sensitivity (like legumes). If someone says they are paleo and asks for help I usually just steer them to some recipe sites or the like.

Sorry, I don't buy this. This thread being a perfect example.
  • senecarr
    Options

This.

jokerNotSureIfSerious.jpg
    You know there are people who consider vegetarianism clean eating, right?
    You do know most bacon has more nitrogen added than an underground street racing car?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This.

The US government claims it's a major contributor of "empty calories." The same argument was used here to defend a claim that "pizza" is always junk food. Therefore, the USA.

Joking aside, I think it fits the definition as well as many things called "junk food."
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

This.

jokerNotSureIfSerious.jpg
    You know there are people who consider vegetarianism clean eating, right?
    You do know most bacon has more nitrogen added than an underground street racing car?

the big question as it relates to "clean" hot dog weenies is whether the nitrogen added to bacon is worse than nitrogen that is added in the form of celery powder, which is added to the weenies to provide nitrogen and still be able to put "no added nitrogen" on the food label....
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Yep I find it annoying when people preach that others MUST eat in moderation and MUST NOT limit carbs, especially when the OP has expressed an interest in eating a way that is not 'portion restricted'!

• lemurcat12
    Options

This.

IRL if someone was coming to dinner I would ask for clarification if they mentioned a confusing dietary restriction. What I wouldn't do is go into a rant about how they shouldn't use a word that confuses me to describe this or that.

On the forums, I may or may not ask for clarification. Still wouldn't rant about what terms I think they should or should not use.

I don't think I rant about "junk food" being used, but feel free to find a counterexample.

I don't even think I rant about "clean eating" being used, although I do like debating whether or not it is a useful term and speculating about the motivations behind people's desire to use it (especially for diets that are essentially like mine).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

This.

The US government claims it's a major contributor of "empty calories." The same argument was used here to defend a claim that "pizza" is always junk food. Therefore, the USA.

Joking aside, I think it fits the definition as well as many things called "junk food."

Yep it probably does classify as that for many people. I would add to my list: Rice, Pasta, Bread, Mash Potato.
This discussion has been closed.