Shoes and the "heavy" person

Peeps,

This question is specifically aimed at men who are considered obese by the BMI scale(as I am). Although, all feedback is welcomed.

I am having problems with shin splints and achey feet when doing long walks or treadmill work. Right now I have NB and a pair of Puma's. The Puma's are slightly better than the NB, but still having some issues. Looking into Asics as I have researched and found many favorable reviews, especially their Gel Kayono's. I don't mind shelling out the dough if it means less pain.

What have you used and to what success? What are you wearing now?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    For walking, go with shoes with a zero heel-to-toe drop - they give the smoothest gait. That means no on the Kayanos. Altra Instinct or Olympus would be a better choice.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    You could go get a gait analysis done and stop guessing on the shoes.

I bought a pair of reebok shoes and I don't get shin splints while walking or running, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend them to someone else.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Woman here, but was heavy for a very long time. I'd get a shoe insert. Those Dr. Scholl's machines in the drug store can do a foot analysis.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    My husband buys Saucony brand.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Woman here, but was heavy for a very long time. I'd get a shoe insert. Those Dr. Scholl's machines in the drug store can do a foot analysis.

Simple effective first step

Pardon the pun

If that does not work, the next step would be gait analysis.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Go to a running store. They will analyze you for walking as well, so don't feel like you can't go to it because you're walking and not running.

HOWEVER no matter what they say to you, GO WITH YOUR GUT. Ask to try neutral shoes even if they suggest stability shoes, and try a few minimalist ones as well. Walk around the store, if they have a treadmill ask to walk on their treadmill. See if they have a return policy to let you swap them out if the shoes don't feel right (many stores will let you return/exchange shoes within a certain window). In general I think it's best to start with neutral shoes and go with whatever cushion feels right; if those don't work, then try stability, etc., but more and more the research on shoes indicates that most people don't need the extra controls in their shoes.

DO NOT BUY MOTION CONTROL SHOES UNLESS YOU ARE TOLD TO BUY A DOCTOR. I cannot emphasize this enough. I am a huge running shoe geek, and all the studies I have read have basically said almost no one needs a motion control shoe, but you run the risk that if you're a bigger guy that a shoe store will simply slap you in the most supportive shoe possible regardless of what you actually need.
  • ccm1313
    ccm1313 Posts: 13 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thanx! Will give that a go.
  • ccm1313
    Go to a running store. They will analyze you for walking as well, so don't feel like you can't go to it because you're walking and not running.

HOWEVER no matter what they say to you, GO WITH YOUR GUT. Ask to try neutral shoes even if they suggest stability shoes, and try a few minimalist ones as well. Walk around the store, if they have a treadmill ask to walk on their treadmill. See if they have a return policy to let you swap them out if the shoes don't feel right (many stores will let you return/exchange shoes within a certain window). In general I think it's best to start with neutral shoes and go with whatever cushion feels right; if those don't work, then try stability, etc., but more and more the research on shoes indicates that most people don't need the extra controls in their shoes.

DO NOT BUY MOTION CONTROL SHOES UNLESS YOU ARE TOLD TO BUY A DOCTOR. I cannot emphasize this enough. I am a huge running shoe geek, and all the studies I have read have basically said almost no one needs a motion control shoe, but you run the risk that if you're a bigger guy that a shoe store will simply slap you in the most supportive shoe possible regardless of what you actually need.

Great information. Didn't think about a running store because I am just mainly walking. My Dr. did recommend stability, but not motion control, so I will keep that bit 'o advice in my mind.

Thanx!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    30% disabled feet from chronic plantyr fasciitis, fallen arches, nerve damage, etc. My physical therapist told me to only purchase BLACK soled New Balance shoes because they were stiff enough to support my feet. (Then he twisted my shoes in a knot.) I wear running shoes because they feel best. Consider orthodics.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    ...you run the risk that if you're a bigger guy that a shoe store will simply slap you in the most supportive shoe possible regardless of what you actually need.

I think @questionfear comment describes what can often happen. Many running shop staff will put people in an over engineered shoe by default because that's the "conventional wisdom".

I've been running since high school in the 70's. When motion control shoes / stability shoes first started to be marketed most shops really didn't know what they were doing but were told what to look for in wear patterns and then put people in various types of stability shoes based on what was observed. One maker made a tank of a shoe which I swear caused me injuries... it didn't solve anything! They felt awful. Like running on boards. But these very shoes would be recommended to me by 8 or 9 of 10 running shops I'd visit, mostly because the maker had a dominant hold on the local market and if someone came in showing signs of pronation shop staff were told to sell that as a solution.

That was decades ago and despite more makers on the scene and far more shoe choice, you can see the same thinking in many shops still today.

It turns out that a zero drop shoe with an ample toe box allows my foot to fall and lever more naturally and after 100's of km on a pair of such shoes it's difficult to see any evidence of pronation. Yet if I walk in to a shop and mention pronation, or if they look at me still 15 pounds over my goal weight, many will insist on putting me in an over built motion control shoe. By default. A good shop staff will dig deeper.

So... to the OP I'd suggest find a really good running shop and push them to explain their advice. Maybe call them first and ask if they carry a range of shoes from stability to minimalist and zero drop shoes. If so, that's some indication they may be more clued in, but at the individual staff level you can expect a lot of variability.

I started running as an obese male 105 pounds over my ideal weight based on my frame type.

Shin splints / pain is something that affects many new runners (or distance walkers too) regardless of whether they are heavy or not. While I know you are walking right now, there are commonalities between the motions that can cause the issue. Building gradually and avoiding a more serious injury that sidelines you is key. Once you get through the initial period of conditioning most people find shin pain is a thing of the past. I suffered a little last fall when I started but within a matter of a few weeks that pain fairly quickly faded.

Now I run hundreds of km every month, injury free, on all surfaces from streets to the gnarliest trails imaginable.

PS: Don't forget to stretch even if you are walking.
  • ccm1313
    @ mwyvr - THANX!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    nb failed me miserably. still suffering.