I has partial stomach removal in my teens. I am now 65 years old. I still am not much heavier

The only time that I put on weight was when I was put on Prednisone for my Ulcerative Colitis. I went from about 112 pounds up to a maximum of 132 pound by the end of my course of Prednisone. I seemed to have lost my appetite and have had a bout with pneumonia, a bacteria which infected my arm and almost lost it. I am back on Prednisone now for a step down program. I want to be able to maintain the weight I am already starting to gain after the course of Prednisone is completed.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Hi, I've had bariatric surgery so I have a mini-stomach too. Are there any foods you tolerate poorly? How do you handle high fat foods?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited October 2015
    Is it easier for you to drink calories? Full fat milk or fruit juices can be high in calories if you can tolerate them. My fiance's father had bariatric surgery, and he eats a lot of ice cream because it's easier for him to digest than meat or vegetables. (Not that you should exclusively eat these, but maybe you could add them to your typical diet to up the calories.

Unfortunately, the only way to gain is to eat more calories.
  • robertsaxton
    robertsaxton Posts: 3 Member
    To answer both of your questions, there are very few foods that I cannot tolerate. I do have ulcerative colitis and something like Popeye's Chicken may cause me discomfort but I will NOT give that up. I have no problem with dairy. I used to try Nutrament, a weight gain product on the market many years ago and that did cause me stomach distress. Of course, that was before I was diagnosed at 18 with Pyloric stenosis that I had since birth. Salads and roughy foods like lettuce give me a problem. I can eat ice cream by the quart. I love using this program, because I can see my progress. Unfortunately, most of the goals on it are for losing weight and the one for gaining is very slow. A side note: I am amazed when I look at the foods I buy and eat the amount of sodium that I am intaking. It is horrendous. My blood work is good. Calories, fiber, carbohydrates, etc. are welcome. Sodium, with my HBP is one to watch for. As far as milk for my cereal or baking, I use half and half; one for the fat content and two because it has a longer shelf life than milk and three, it tastes SO much better! Thank you for your replies.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    My dad introduced me to half and half in my grapenuts. He'd eat a bowlful, I'd put a splash in my milk. Amazing. You seem to be doing a good job with aiming for calorie dense foods, so you may just need to up your calorie goal. You can override what mfp gives you manually.

What is your current calorie goal?