Need help starting

Options

Replies

• LauCo77
    LauCo77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Great thought process! You ARE crushing it!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @saranharm I loved your post so much! You crushed this challenge indeed! The confidence that we gain from getting older and this process is incredible! The world is your backyard! You rock!!!
    Would you mind if I turned your post into an NSV card? How about writing us a journey story?

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can @TerezaToledo !

I did write a journey story. I am sitting on it for a few days making sure its what I really want to say.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @saranharm Yay!!! You just made me smile! Take your time, let me know when you are ready. I'll pm you my personal email.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Not weird at all! Kudos for buying jeans that fit and hugs you in the right places! I am sure you look amazing in it! You are young and beautiful and deserve clothes that fit well and are flattering! I do 't like wearing belts, but if I don't I end up having to spend the day pulling my pants up.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • mudra123
    mudra123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for motivation & accountability, join this group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFastDiaries/
    new challenges every month and rewards too to top participants
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    So I have been hanging around here since last novemberish. I've been doing em2wl's crushing the diet mentality course. I have been transitioning from one of the fastest funniest summers into "real life". My real life includes homeschooling my kids, dishes, laundry, etc. I am finding it hard to want to track. I find myself thinking things like " maybe I will never even cut" because I am content now.

I'm not sure if this is 100% a good thing, or if its part me struggling with motivation. I guess the good thing, if its the latter, is that when I am ready I can pick up where I started. I'm not (hopefully) gaining a ton of weight. I am fueling my body with food so I won't need to reset again. I will probably just have to narrow down on my macros when the time comes.

The good news is that I feel way less stressed. That's a good thing for me.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @saranharm You so so much like me in not wanting to cut! The truth is, we don't have to cut the calories, unless we want. All that matters is being happy and healthy. Even if you don't cut, but sticking with your macros and lifting heavier (which I know you are doing) you are already doing a lot for your body! The changes may happen at a slower pace, but they ARE happening. You are getting stronger, building muscle, revving your metabolism and for sure tapping into the fat reserves.

Gaining weight does not matter. Actually, by gaining muscle weigh you are making sure you burn more calories overall, and that's always a great thing. The concern would be gaining fat, which will not happen since you are sticking to your TDEE, macros and lifting. Who cares about the weight? It's all about the muscle!

I've been coasting on my TDEE for over a year now. I wanted to cut in the beginning of the summer, but actually all I did was to eat even more, lol. I have no clue if I gained weight, but my clothes fit the same. Will I want to cut eventually, maybe, but since fall is coming, I may just keep coasting at TDEE again.
    And feeling less stressed is a huge NSV!
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Stress can play a factor in motivation:) and it sounds like you are gearing up for a busy few weeks as you get back into routine and such. Nothing wrong with sticking at TDEE for a long while. No one said you HAVE to cut anything!:).. As Tereza said, if you are happy and content where you are, there is no reason to change it:)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Thank you @TerezaToledo and @Raynn1

I always knew stress was a problem for me but it became apparent after a laid back, lazy summer. Really nothing to stress about! And it made me realize that stressing is stupid. :D sadly, I can't ignore all responsibilities year around, so I did make it a goal to chill this fall.

I haven't been tracking my macros. :# I hope that as we settle into a routine (or at least get a busy September and first part of October out of the way) I can focus enough where tracking doesn't feel like a straight jacket. I think it will be helpful to go back to so I can make sure I am at my tdee, or could I push it up a bit. Or, at least, before I cut so I can not waste my time with an unsuccessful cut.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    You will know when it's time to start tracking again, @saranharm. Until then, keep doing what you are doing, focus on getting your protein and lifting. Soon things will be settled in a different daily routine and you can make the changes you want. Putting logging on hold for now by no means mean that you are quitting or back into your olds ways. It means that you are progressing in this journey and adjusting things according to your needs and life. Yes, wasting time with a cut that won't be any good is just that, wasting time. I am so happy to see how you are growing and changing your mindset! You truly inspire us!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    This is kind unrelated.

I'm watching a friends kids this weekend. I find watching other peoples kids overwhelming. They aren't bad kids just not mine you know.
    Of course my body decides it's good timing to stay up half the night puking. Not feeling too great this morning.

All of the above combined reminds me of when my kids were babies, going through pregnancies, feeling like crud 80% of the time. I fELT so trapped all of the time. Kinda suffocated.

But now, minus the rare times, that seems like a different life. Even though my kids aren't that old (9,7,4)- its a distant memory.
    So, time flies, this we know. I'm glad life keeps moving forward. The things I thought were so important at that time have either disappeared, or naturally progressed in life. The things i stayed up worrying about at night have proven to be unnecessarily stressful. The small things have added up over time. The big, monumental things are really few and far between. Things like moving or having kids, after a while feel like they have always been there.

So, I will continue to do the little things day in and day out.

I will also been thankful that my kids can watch TV all day long without complaining. Not every day can do that. Not that we do it all the time but it does come in handy when you feel like poo. One day does not make or break.

#crushingthedietmentality
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I am with you on that. We have to do what we have to do. Some days I'm thankfull for the tv, that they will not have a fit for having a low key day.
    And yes, time just goes by and doing the little things everyday in a consistent manner will take you where you want to get. Just like looking back at when they were babies and it seemed endless, it already passed.

I hope you feel better!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yup. Time does go by... its crazy how fast.. So why do we spend so much of it hating ourselves, our situations, our lives etc.. right?

Life is fleeting.. we shall enjoy:)
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    Yup. Time does go by... its crazy how fast.. So why do we spend so much of it hating ourselves, our situations, our lives etc.. right?

Life is fleeting.. we shall enjoy:)

Thank you. I like coming back and being reminded, because its so easy to think about my "lack of progress" sometimes. Or, if one area of life isn't going too well, I tend to get disappointed in all.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hey @saranharm just catching up here! (I'm on holiday at the moment!)
    I know what you mean about the motivation with wanting to cut.
    When I ate at TDEE for the longest time all I kept thinking was, wonder when I can cut?
    Funny thing is, when I got to the point that I could actually cut, I'm like meh! Not sure I want to now!
    Kiki said usually the right time to stay at TDEE is usually when you want to cut and vice versa!
    I have been kinda cutting over the summer, but my routine is so out of whack I just find it hard to really track it!
    I'm not logging at the moment either. Sometimes it just feels like yet another thing that I have to do so kinda adds to the stress, and I think it does us the world of good to have a break mentally sometimes.
    I'll probably go back to it next week when the children go back to school and I go back to work and I am back to 'normal' routines!
    Ichel
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Yes, and stress really gets me! My goal this fall is to stress less. I homeschooling my kids so my schedule gets a bit rougher in the fall. Lol.

I will not cut until the new year. If I still haven't gotten back into tracking by then I think i will spend January getting back into that habit. Then I can cut feb-may or June with breaks. Summer and fall are too crazy for me to cut. So I think its winter and spring only. We will see when I get there. It will also be 1 year on em2wl and taking my lifting seriously so we will see if there have been changes then as well.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I have actually considered cutting mid Oct to mid November and then again after our thanksgiving. I know people say to avoid the holidays but that's usually when things calm down for us. (We don't do too much holiday stuff). I'm just not sure that's enough at tdee? I ate at tdee jan- march. Cut (with breaks) part of march-june. At tdee July and august (and will be for September and first 3 weeks of October ).

I am reflecting a lot because of the crushing the diet mentality course. While I am happy with myself now- I do have a long term goal that hasn't diminished, even though the desperate desire has. I still want to get there, eventually and in the right way. I know I won't if I never force myself to cut some. I want body recomp too, for the record :)