Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Replies

• ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Welcome back Joy.

Well made it to the gym last night. Wasn't feeling the cardio at all so I gave up on that and worked on arms and chest with the weights. Got in a good workout there and am feeling it this morning. TOM and I have eaten everything in sight. I'm pretty sure I would eat the dog this month if he was dipped in chocolate. Oh well I will be heading to the gym this afternoon maybe I will be feeling the cardio then.

Thank God it is almost Friday. I don't know what I am going to do next week when I have to work all 5 days. Haven't worked a full week yet since my dad and Jenna's grad party. Speaking of dad. Felt like I got punched in the gut yesterday. The doctors office called to remind me of a doctors appointment he has tomorrow. I had to call them back and cancel. she asked if I wanted to reschedule. Hell ya I want to reschedule, I would give anything to reschedule. However he wont be available.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    I woke up last Sunday with a very annoying intercostal muscle strain... it does affect my workout as there are some exercises I can't do as they're too painful... Well, I replace them with other exercises but it is still quite painful. :sweat::disappointed:

On the bright side, this morning, my scale told me that I had lost half a pound compared to the day before. :smiley:
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    @bluepoppies777 Welcome back! Glad you had a great vacation. How was the birthday dinner?

@ngolden3320 Getting that call when you're already emotionally raw is tough. Great job still focusing on self care and doing the best that you can given the circumstances. TOM will be over soon. I find getting back to my regular work routine really helps me with my eating, hope it works similarly for you

@kitkatlp Congrats on the loss! Sorry to hear about the muscle strain though, good for you for working past it.

Well I finally got up the nerve to get on the scale...and I maintained!!! I did it! Not even a small gain! I made it through 1 birthday, 2 weddings, 2 grandparent visits, 1 vacation, and a 4 day conference all in a month without even a small gain. This is the biggest NSV ever! I tracked every day to the best of my abilities, even when it was over 3K+ calories, and it paid off! *Happy Dance*
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    @Rachel0778 That is fantastic! Great job keeping track of all those calories, and making adjustments to maintain. I know I would have had a hard time maintaining through that.

@ngolden3320 Sorry you are dealing with so much pain. Hugs. I do the same when ToM is visiting. Last week had to do a late night nacho run. I am blaming it all on ToM.

I have made 10 days with 10k steps or more. Super excited about it. Is it weird I am excited to step on the scale Tuesday to see how I am doing?
  • BabydollAnne
    BabydollAnne Posts: 1 Member
    It's so nerve racking seeing everyone so motivated! anyone have advice for someone who has physical and mental limitations? (I have a weakened immune system, so i'm normally unwell all the time, and depression which severely dampens your motivation for anything.) I just wanna lose a stone or 2 but it's piling on instead!
  • PhedraJD
    @babydollanne Like you, we each suffer from motivation problems at one point or another. I can't imagine dealing with a weakened immune system that has to make it hard. First journal/write/brainstorm what are the reasons you want to lose weight, what are the benefits of losing that weight. Then make small changes and small baby goals to get to your bigger goal. I suffer from bouts of severe depression as well. The hardest thing to do is get up and move. Have you seen your doctor for this? If you are on meds and they aren't working the doctor can change them up. (big pain, takes awhile to get them adjusted)

So baby goals could be as simple as: Today I am going to walk down the street and back, today I am going to log everything I eat, or Today I am going to dance to my favorite song (no having to go outside)

Then the next day, try to do the same goal. Do this for a week and it starts to become a habit.

** Remember it is okay to not do what you set out to do, you just have to try again. Don't beat yourself up.

Hope this helps.
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Yes I agree, the most important thing is to never give up. You will see if you read back on this thread that we have all had major ups and major downs, but we are all still on here, and continue to try. It might take longer than we want to lose the weight (hello, me!), and we can have some major setbacks (hello, me!), but we have to keep trying each day. So just do your best and try to get your mojo into a good rhythm! Mine's a bit off still, but I'm working at it!
    The bday dinner last night was good! Went for fro-yo after, and I didn't add any candy toppings, just had the frozen yogurt and tried to pick healthy flavors. So all in all good, and I only drank one beer! It was massive, but it was only one! Haha! Anyway, today I'm taking hubs to his first spin class. We can't go to my gym as it is women's only, so we are going to SpinCo. Hope he likes it! Plus I biked to work again. My problem right now is the amount I am eating. I got lazy tracking, and started to eat too much food again. So it is going to take a bit to shrink my portions back and my tummy!! At least I know what I have to do!
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Don't forget the mental benefits of exercise @BabydollAnne .. Exercise unlocks some beautiful little endorphins which automatically give us an boost of happiness - even a short walk! I move 7 days a week and often feel more relaxed and peaceful afterward .. I use walking as one of my primary forms of cardio .. It's not even about motivation for me .. As much as it's become part of my life habits ... Xo
  • Rachel0778
    @jdelaroy Not weird at all! No matter what the scale says though, your NSV is an awesome accomplishment!

@BabydollAnne My best advice is to do what you can, when you can. Don't beat yourself up, but instead be proud of yourself for any healthy decisions you are able to make

@Kait_Dee I agree, I feel worlds better when I am up and moving my body

@bluepoppies777 Sounds like you had an awesome day! How do you like the women's only gym? I ask since I am the only girl at my gym so I'm used to a totally different environment.

TGIF!!!! My SO is making me dinner and taking me out to The Secret Life of Pets for date night tonight. I hope this work day flies by :)
  • Rachel0778
  • ngolden3320
    Rachel that meme is cracking me up. That has been me this week. Thanks for the laugh I needed that. Have fun on your date. That movie looks good.
  • PhedraJD
    @Rachel0778 Thanks! I am trying to celebrate every little step I make. It has been a long time since I have done anything healthy for myself. I am amazed how much better I feel after 2.5 weeks. I even upped the speed on the treadmill. :)

Yesterday I felt a little weak for half the day. I have noticed this 2 times since I started on my journey. Both times, after I ate a bigger dinner and a snack I finally felt better. At first I was worried about it, but I think it is because I don't normally eat back my exercise calories. I think this is draining my body of some much needed energy. So, I am going to try and up my protein on the days I feel a little weak, and not worry if I eat a little more calories. No I am not giving myself permission to go hog wild. I do believe in listening to my body though.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy weekend.
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Rachel, I want to see that movie too! So cute. I like my women's only gym, I pay more to go there but it's really girly, with chandeliers and pretty stuff on the walls. No juice monkeys, no ppl trying to pick up dates/numbers. It's just ladies of all ages and all shapes working out. Feels best to me! Plus it's close to my house so that is a big bonus too. Has to be easy or won't happen!
    Took hubs to his first spin class last night and he liked it! He said he would do it again. He also said its more fun mountain biking outside, but whatever! Lol! We had a good time, and I think we will go again for sure, but probably in winter when we aren't biking every day already.
    Have a great weekend everyone!!
  • jliston35
    jliston35 Posts: 6 Member
    Can I be in the group please
  • PhedraJD
    My Friday calories were killed with pineapple upside down cake. 400 calories over, and was a rest day. :( However, I didn't eat the whole cake, and I made the decision to go over, it wasn't mindless eating. :) Just leased a new place to rent and have to move in two weeks. Holy moly, I need some epic motivation, and get up and go. Off to pack..
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Hi Guys, sorry, been MIA for a while now, i'm really struggling both mentally and physically. We STILL haven't cleared my Mums house out, long story short, my brother moved into his new flat and just didn't bother clearing the rest of the house, 'out of sight, out of mind' so it's been a slow process trying to get him to do anything, which I knew would happen once he moved, but it's just dragging out and i've had enough of it all to be honest. My eating has gone mad, i've not been running, I seem to be ill all the time, cold after cold and constantly tired. I really just want the whole thing to be over and done with now. I can't seem to move past anything while we still have the house to sort out, it's like a big brick wall in front of me. Sounds stupid, but that's just how it makes me feel.

Anyway, Jen so glad to hear you and your husband are working on things, that's good news, and I sincerely hope things improve for you.

Welcome to all the newbies, you're in the right place for support and motivation, these guys are all ace!

Keep at it everyone, i'll be back for definite when things have settled down, I just need to get everything finally sorted and get my head clear again.
  • ngolden3320
    Had a rough weekend. Had to drive 2 1/2 hours to PA for Cassidy's softball tournament. Then we drove and hour to our cabin rather then spend the money on a hotel. It was nice just the 2 of us. We spent the day and night napping and watching movies then back to PA Sunday morning. Hubby's cousin was here from Texas so we had a picnic with his family last night. Nice to see everyone but ate to much. That has got to stop. I am paying for it today. I just got to work and my stomach is killing me (feel as if I might be sick) and I am so tired. Haven't been going to the gym like I want and now I am starting to pay for it physically and mentally. Today is the start of a new week and back on track.

@Rachel0778 How was your movie? Was it a cute as it looks? I'm pretty sure Buddy has some of those guys over when we aren't home.

@jliston35 Welcome. Feel free to add me as a friend.

@bluepoppies777 I'm glad your hubby enjoyed spin class with you. I wish mine would go to the gym with me sometimes, but we are completely opposite on that front. He workouts at home and doesn't like the gym. I love the gym and there is always something else I could or should be doing at home and never feel like I get a good workout in.

well I am work so I just I should get this Monday started. :s Everyone have a good week. :)
  • Rachel0778
    @bluepoppies777 That's great that you and your husband have found a good class to fill the winter void! Sounds like your gym has a great welcoming atmosphere

Welcome @jliston35! Keep posting :)

@jdelaroy Sounds like that cake was totally worth it. It sounds like it just pushed you into maintenance for a day, no harm no foul

@CariTJR Nothing to be sorry about! I can only imagine how difficult going through your Mom's place is. We will be here when you're ready. Right now your focus needs to be on you and your mental health through this difficult time!

@ngolden3320 The movie was really cute! The first 1/3 of it is by far the strongest but overall I was laughing all the way through. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend (even if the food front was difficult)

I didn't do very well on the eating front on Friday. I brought cookie dough bites to share for the movie, and then we were having so much fun we went out for frozen yogurt after (with ALL the toppings!). I really need to work on getting back to 1 treat a day.

Rationally, I know I'm doing the right thing. I know that my weight loss will be more sustainable at .5lbs a week. We gain weight slowly over time and we lose weight slowly over time and if I want to be the 5% that keeps it off I need to do this slow and steady. But I'm having a really hard time emotionally reconciling that I barely see progress in the mirror and I'm just feeling lumpy and unattractive. It doesn't help we have a mandatory summer uniform that involves boxy polo t-shirts, but ugh. I want to feel pretty darn it!
  • ngolden3320
    Rachel. You are beautiful. Slow and steady wins the race. But it does push us over the edge sometimes waiting on it. I feel ur pain. But I also praise your progress
  • PhedraJD
    @CariTJR I am sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I am sure all that stress is making you sick. Hopefully, you will be able to get it taken care of soon, so then you can get back to taking care of you.

@ngolden3320 Sounds like a fun weekend.

@rachel0778 I can only imagine how slow a half pound a week can feel. The best advice I can think of is remember it isn't all about your weight, it is about living healthy. The weight loss is just a bi product of all that hard work you are doing. Maybe try setting other goals, that are about becoming healthy, but not necessarily losing weight?

Besides Friday's calorie overage I did well. Got in my time at the gym, and took the kids swimming this weekend. Plus celebrated my little sister's birthday and stayed within my calorie limit.