Being poor/ food insecurity

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Wow I had to Google where you lived. I just can't imagine living somewhere so remote. I always say I would love to live out in the country, but even so, where I consider "country" is probably nothing like where you live.

I live in Leeds, England. I live less than 3 miles outside the 3 or 4th biggest city in the UK. So I could walk in to the City Centre. But I have a shop like 2 minute walk from where I live. And a decent sized supermarket 15 minute walk and a 30 minute walk would bring you to a huge superstore where you can buy groceries / clothes / household items.

I just found it really interesting trying to imagine the different way of living. I'd love to see what it would be like.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Oh and by the way, some of the scenery brought up in the search looked amazing! Wow!
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    One thing you might consider is setting up a weekly ride into town. Put the word out to neighbors that you are looking for someone to ride along with into town, and are happy to help them with a few chores in exchange (although they probably won't take you up on it). I know most of the farmers around here run into town to the hardware store and such regularly- ask them to text or call you if they are going, and you can run out to the road and hop along.

Regarding hunting, if you have enough land to get away with it without tags, yup, i'd go ahead and hunt. Around here we have deer coming out our ears and most farmers have nuisance permits so they can shoot unlimited all year long. Everyone would be thanking you if you took an extra one :) If your area is similar, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I don't know how cold it is up where you are, but we still have veggie gardens straggling along. I have herbs that are still chilling. Ask friends with gardens if they have any parsley, sage, rosemary, etc left, and if you could cut a but since you didn't get a garden in this year. Herbs liven up boring food like rice and beans, and provide micronutrients that you might not be getting many of at the moment. You might even score a plant or two that a friend lets you dig up and put in a pot on your windowsill (I've got rosemary on mine right now!).

If there are any facebook or similar groups in your area that cater to homesteading type of folks, I find our local one a great source of all.the.things. You can put a specific request out for stuff like herbs, but also people are regularly trying to find homes for old chickens that don't lay and whatnot. They just want their old/extra stuff to get used. Take advantage of that stuff!

Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Call around to social services agencies in town and ask if they have sources for stuff like winter gear as well.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I've been there. I will second other's suggestions of dried beans, brown rice, and frozen vegetables. Stock up on boneless chicken thighs - they go on sale for ridiculously cheap. You can freeze it for protein later. Also, turkey after thanksgiving goes on sale for crazy cheap. Roast one, strip the meat and freeze it in individual portions. Buy high protein foods like sardines and canned tuna which keep for a long time but give you a boost of protein and beneficial fats when you need it.

During the growing season, I suggest growing vegetables. Even if you only have a small space, you can grow tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce - pretty much anything in small container gardens. If you have more space, grow larger crops that keep well over the winter like squash, carrots, onion, pumpkins and beets. Seeds are inexpensive so you can get a lot of produce for very little money. You can start the seeds indoors in a sunny window in March to get a longer growing season and more vegetables.

You can get assistance from the Gallatin food bank - they allow you to "shop" once every thirty days. I realize you might be remote but if you can get there a few months out of the year, it can really help. There is also a great network of crop shares in the Bozeman area. Maybe one is close to you. https://www.bozo.coop/Bozeman_Area_CSAs

If you have friends who are game hunters or outdoors-men, you might be able to get a deer, antelope, some elk, trout or game birds. When I lived in Montana, I never bought meat from a store because I hunted and fished - I always had extras and gave away quite a bit every year.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Yes, I plan on gardening this coming year! I can hunt and fish on my property, but I don't have any tags or anything. I might anyway...
    I can also probably ask some friends who recently filled elk tags if I can have a bit of meat.

Do you need permits on your own property? In my state you don't, but I know laws vary.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Here are some other links that might be helpful to you.

http://www.bigskyfoodbank.org/resources/area-services/
    http://www.cafebozeman.org/2015/01/nutrition-in-our-community/

Licenses are required for all types of wild hunting and fishing in Montana. A season long fishing license is only $26. Hunting licenses vary. I highly recommend that you not hunt or fish without a license as the fines for getting caught can be hefty.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Look for groups on Facebook for your area where ppl in need can ask for assistance. I have helped a few ppl out with canned food and cat food. You will be surprised the amount of ppl willing to help. Maybe even see if you can arrange a ride to town once a week or so. We were pretty bad off this time last yr. We planned all our meals 2 weeks at a time. We also got our meat at a meat market and stocked up for a month at a time which made the meat much cheaper. Dry rice, dry beans, broth, chicken leg quarters or any chicken that is on sale. You can bulk by eggs and bread and freeze them.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Yes, I plan on gardening this coming year! I can hunt and fish on my property, but I don't have any tags or anything. I might anyway...
    I can also probably ask some friends who recently filled elk tags if I can have a bit of meat.

People are often very willing to help; the hard part can be in asking them.

In your situation, I would totally hunt and fish on my own land, tags or no.
  • kshama2001
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Some friends had a dinner party last week and gave me all of their leftovers, and it felt good to ask for help in that way.

If people know of a need, they're usually more than happy to contribute. I know I would be, if a neighbor were suddenly up against hard times. Ask for help. It's usually a win-win.

Also, do check out any churches that may be in proximity. Again, when a need is known, there is often gladly-given help provided.

Another vote for churches. They might be willing to drop food off for you. Churches always need volunteers - you could always return the favor by volunteering when you are back on your feet again.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Check this interactive map of crises by state. Montana ranks right up there.

http://www.crisistextline.org/trends/

I live well north of you and have lived in a remote community (thankfully with many people around, and with transportation). So I know from experience that there are limits on how much you can harvest from your land, and the logistics of getting the shopping done.

Rose hips will still be good.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Please talk to your neighbors. Most people are stocked up for winter and may have extras.
    I would also barter. Help them do some work on their land in exchange for food etc.
    Older neighbors will appreciate the help.
  • sallymarcus413
    sallymarcus413 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm so overwhelmed with the support and advice! A friend is coming to get me today and we're going to the food bank, and I also met a dairy farmer who gave me a buch of raw milk and I've just started a batch of yogurt. Things are looking up! Though my situation hasn't changed yet, I'm feeling so much more hopeful and inspired just by having all of you guys.

Thank you to the ones who have sent me links of places to look for help in my area.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    I really recommend stocking up on bags of frozen mixed vegetables when you can. They are relatively inexpensive and sometimes are healthier than fresh produce because they are picked right at their prime and then immediately frozen. They can also last up to a year or so in the freezer.
    Also look into canned beans, all natural peanut butter, low sodium soup, etc.
    I know that churches and food drives in general often have lots of canned goods. With the holiday season/colder months coming I know that there should be a lot more food drives available.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'm glad people have been able to help you both here with links and in real life.
    Hunters are your friends as i'm sure you know. they usually end up with more meat than they know what to do with. In Wisconsin, we have a donation program for venison.
    Also, when i was out in Bozeman for a few weeks, it felt like everyone there was very helpful. a lot of people helped my friend who needed some assistance in winter. He lived in Belgrade
    try second hand stores for warm clothes. or churches.
    seriously, churches are great resources.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Food banks are usually pretty good for the non-perishable stuff like canned goods. So use any cash you have to stock up on fruits and vegetables. Someone else has mentioned the value of stocking frozen veggies.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    This is not going to solve your immediate problem, but hopefully it will help

"Eat Well on $4 a Day" (which is the amt. allotted for food assistance programs)
    https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf
  • kshama2001
    I'm so overwhelmed with the support and advice! A friend is coming to get me today and we're going to the food bank, and I also met a dairy farmer who gave me a buch of raw milk and I've just started a batch of yogurt. Things are looking up! Though my situation hasn't changed yet, I'm feeling so much more hopeful and inspired just by having all of you guys.

Thank you to the ones who have sent me links of places to look for help in my area.

400x400_1423175260014-hooray.jpg
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Great update. I hope things keep on looking up for you!
  • becky9188
    becky9188 Posts: 8 Member
    And thank you guys for even just providing me a safe platform to speak of such things. I'm too embarrassed to talk to my friends about this kind of stuff.

I recently vented my frustrations to a friend about me being in a similar situation and much to my surprise a few people got together and I ended up with close to $100 worth of meat as well as milk cereal and many sides for lunches/dinners ....a lot of times people are More eager to help than we realize

Hope things start looking up for you
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I had similar issues years ago and vented to a friend once and ended up with an anonymous gift card to a grocery store. It was the sweetest gesture ever.

I know if I had a friend going through this I would just split my dishes and bring them over as often as I could, and buy a few extra items when I was at the grocery store.