The Quorn Should be Outlawed.

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

I find it odd that they didn't look into it

Do you think that the onus is solely on the consumer or do you think that companies have a duty to be transparent in their labeling of products?

Incidentally the complaint outlines that the child's mother did check the label but was unaware that it contained mould given how it is worded.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    I think that an out of court settlement is likely as the Quorn packaging does seem somewhat ambiguous.

It's quorn
    Meatless
    Meat free

Wtf?

The point from the court documents linked in the OP is that the labeling is misleading or deliberately omitted the nature of the product in that it contains mould - a substance which was lethal to the poor kid who died as a result of eating the Quorn product.

It is alleged that the producers of Quorn may have deliberately concealed this fact as it could have a negative impact on profits.

that's awful:( If they deliberately concealed the fact it contained fungi (by referring to it as mycoprotein), they should be put out of business.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

Do you think that the onus is solely on the consumer or do you think that companies have a duty to be transparent in their labeling of products?

Incidentally the complaint outlines that the child's mother did check the label but was unaware that it contained mould given how it is worded.

If this was peanuts these guys would have been arrested already. Yeah, companies have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to list this stuff, not just a moral responsibility. Somebody's baby died for godssakes...
  • msf74

If this was peanuts these guys would have been arrested already. Yeah, companies have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to list this stuff, not just a moral responsibility. Somebody's baby died for godssakes...

But they had included the ingredient "mycoprotein" - should that be considered to be adequate in all the circumstances?

(Just playing a little devil's advocate here to explore the issues the Court will consider)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you google mycoprotein?

I just don't know anyone with an anaphylactic child or relative who would ever dream of taking such a risk

It's on wiki and all other the internet

Something isn't right here

Do I think quorn hid the source of mycoprotein? No not really ..they possibly could be clearer

• Sued0nim
    There may be a distinct marketing difference ..quorn has been available here since mid 90s ..it's well know. And available in all supermarkets
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

The onus is on the consumer to check the ingredients and know exactly what ingredients cause them a problem.

The onus is on the company to make sure all ingredients are listed as is standard in the industry - both a standard location and a standard name for the ingredient (this way the consumer can locate and identify them).

It sounds as though the consumer in this case was not educated sufficiently. Mycoprotein is the standard name for fungal-sourced proteins. In fact, 'myco' is the standard prefix for anything fungus-related, and not just in the food industry. Even if the customer had never seen the term mycoprotein before, any word starting with 'myco' should have been a giant red flag.
  • msf74

Do I think quorn hid the source of mycoprotein? No not really ..they possibly could be clearer

But we know that companies are not above deliberately concealing information or or rigging products (like emission tests to give a recent example) so really it is what does the evidence substantiate.

And if, as you say, there are millions spent on marketing a product which presumably encompasses taking legal advice on the implications of wording on packaging, why were they not clearer? Was this incompetence or if it was deliberate was this a justifiable course of action and if so do they hold some degree of accountability for what has happened?

Interesting discussion. I will pop back if I have time later on.
  • Lots of things are known allergens. We don't outlaw them, we require appropriate labeling.

Why should something be outlawed just because some people are allergic to it?

THIIIIIIIIIS.

We don't ban peanut butter. The labeling on Q'uorn's boxes very much say they're made of a fungus.

They're also delicious and I love them, I'd cry if they banned Q'uorn because some people who were allergic didn't read the labels.
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    stealthq wrote: »

The onus is on the consumer to check the ingredients and know exactly what ingredients cause them a problem.

The onus is on the company to make sure all ingredients are listed as is standard in the industry - both a standard location and a standard name for the ingredient (this way the consumer can locate and identify them).

It sounds as though the consumer in this case was not educated sufficiently. Mycoprotein is the standard name for fungal-sourced proteins. In fact, 'myco' is the standard prefix for anything fungus-related, and not just in the food industry. Even if the customer had never seen the term mycoprotein before, any word starting with 'myco' should have been a giant red flag.

And if your child had a life threatening allergy you would know this

If not your medical team are also subject to lawsuit
  • msf74
    stealthq wrote: »

It sounds as though the consumer in this case was not educated sufficiently.

Should companies be expected to make allowances for this and if not how do we protect people who are vulnerable due to lack of education (or should they not deserve protection?)

• 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    There may be a distinct marketing difference ..quorn has been available here since mid 90s ..it's well know. And available in all supermarkets

Middle aged American here. I shop and cook a lot. I wonder if it's new or newish here.
    I've never heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue what mycoprotein is till you guys talked about.
    Seems It should have an allergen statement on it.
  • CoffeeNCardio

But they had included the ingredient "mycoprotein" - should that be considered to be adequate in all the circumstances?

(Just playing a little devil's advocate here to explore the issues the Court will consider)

No I don't think it should. It'd maybe be different if it was something a rather large group of human beings are not allergic to, but it is something at least a recognizable portion of the population IS allergic to. I feel, just visceral instinct, that calling it "mycoprotein" was a deliberate attempt to avoid the use of the word "fungus", which in one case, resulted in the death of a child. One death is, or should be, enough.

I just don't know anyone with an anaphylactic child or relative who would ever dream of taking such a risk

Yeah, again, as someone who is severely allergic to mushrooms, and possibly other fungi, I saw hat word, didn't know the answer, and hit the google. I cannot imagine who with an allergy doesn't do that, or a parent with a child who has an allergy, doesn't do that. I'm not saying the mom/dad are ultimately responsible for their child's death, not at all, the onus of proof was on the company, but even so....

I say the onus of proof is on the company, I mean it should be. We demand that anyone who comes on here praising probiotics or juicing or animal horns or whatever provide proof their thing A. Is safe and B. Is good. I don't know why on earth we don't make that demand of corporations. Especially food and drug corporations, because they hold people's lives in their hands daily.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member

The mother should have looked up definitions of ingredients she wasn't familiar with. I am sorry that she lost her child, but she she made the decision to purchase a food item for her child without educating herself on unfamiliar terminology. The prefix "myco" is a huge hint that it's fungus based. I read all the labels of items I am about to purchase for the first time and if there is something in there I am not familiar with I look it up - takes less than a minute. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but when you're dealing with a severe allergy you know you have to be vigilant. If something is questionable move on to a different product. How much more transparent should the company have been as they listed mycoprotein?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    It's a know allergen? Like that means anything

If you're not allergic it's fine

You didn't know it was fungus?

Personally I like beef but there's nothing wrong with quorn if you don't have a reaction to it

Me? I find egg yolk and prawns to be "known allergens" for me

Me? I have no food allergies but I have to be really careful around new clothes and many personal care products because I am allergic to formaldehyde. Should we ban the majority of shampoos, conditioners. lotions, cosmetics, etc because they contain a known allergen?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    edited November 2015

The problem with your argument is it was labeled. They just didn't realise that the name they were reading was a fungi.
    The onus to label it was fullfiled but a lack of knowledge led to this tragic death. Should it be dumbed down to prevent this happening again. I'd say yes. For example by putting Fungi in brackets next to Mycoprotien.
    However you should educate yourself so you always know what you and your child is eating
    I know in the UK allergens now have to be bolded on labels, so it'd be interesting to know if it's bolded.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

No I don't think it should. It'd maybe be different if it was something a rather large group of human beings are not allergic to, but it is something at least a recognizable portion of the population IS allergic to. I feel, just visceral instinct, that calling it "mycoprotein" was a deliberate attempt to avoid the use of the word "fungus", which in one case, resulted in the death of a child. One death is, or should be, enough.

Yeah, again, as someone who is severely allergic to mushrooms, and possibly other fungi, I saw hat word, didn't know the answer, and hit the google. I cannot imagine who with an allergy doesn't do that, or a parent with a child who has an allergy, doesn't do that. I'm not saying the mom/dad are ultimately responsible for their child's death, not at all, the onus of proof was on the company, but even so....

I say the onus of proof is on the company, I mean it should be. We demand that anyone who comes on here praising probiotics or juicing or animal horns or whatever provide proof their thing A. Is safe and B. Is good. I don't know why on earth we don't make that demand of corporations. Especially food and drug corporations, because they hold people's lives in their hands daily.

I think "mycoprotein" is less an attempt to evade than an attempt to describe exactly what it is. "Fungus" is a huge category and it isn't very specific. "Mycoprotein" is more specific. It's the difference between "carrot" and "vegetable," I think.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    42firm03 wrote: »

Middle aged American here. I shop and cook a lot. I wonder if it's new or newish here.
    I've never heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue what mycoprotein is till you guys talked about.
    Seems It should have an allergen statement on it.

Young American here, and I agree, I have only heard of this because my sister in law went vegan and likes it when we all go to vegan/vegetarian restaurants together (she's desperately trying to convert us). That one time in that one place was the only time I have ever even heard of it, I don't shop at whole foods, cause $$$$$$$$ so I have never encountered it in the package.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    did3lagkylq5.jpeg

Bad photo off the web of the back of a Quorn mince package notes the potential allergic reaction to mycoprotein.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It's a know allergen? Like that means anything

If you're not allergic it's fine

You didn't know it was fungus?

Personally I like beef but there's nothing wrong with quorn if you don't have a reaction to it

Me? I find egg yolk and prawns to be "known allergens" for me

Me? I have no food allergies but I have to be really careful around new clothes and many personal care products because I am allergic to formaldehyde. Should we ban the majority of shampoos, conditioners. lotions, cosmetics, etc because they contain a known allergen?

No way. That's the same nonsense as banning peanut butter (schools are different, children don't understand and we constantly get on their little butts to "share", it's totally different) market-wide. But we do demand, as we should, that companies who put egg whites in their shampoos list it so people don't end up with no hair.