Post cardio shivers and low body temp...

pineygirl
pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Lately when I do cardio in the mornings a few minutes after I finish I start getting chills. This can last from 10 minutes to two hours.

This morning I was particularly cold...so cold I couldn't even shiver. My nail beds were turning blue.

I'm coming down with a cold so I thought I might have a fever. I took my temperature and it was 95.4. Took it again...95.6. Once more...95.2. I didn't work out outside...I was in my basement using an elliptical for 45 minutes.

I chart my basal body tempature (as part of a birth control/family planning method) so I know my body temp isn't always low like that. It's usually around 97.0 to 98.2. I do have hypothyroidism but it's controlled by medication.

I warmed up in about an hour...so I'm not that concerned about it. But I find it odd....

Anyone else get post cardio chills?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Have you seen a doctor about this? Do you have any thyroid issues?
  • pineygirl
    Yes...I do have hypothyroidism. But I'm on levothyroxine and my TSH was just 0.62.

I haven't mentioned to my doctor since it hasn't been happening all that long. I figured I got chills because I was all sweaty.

I never took my temperature though. Only today because I felt unusually cold and thought I had a fever.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    pineygirl wrote: »
    Yes...I do have hypothyroidism. But I'm on levothyroxine and my TSH was just 0.62.

I haven't mentioned to my doctor since it hasn't been happening all that long. I figured I got chills because I was all sweaty.

I never took my temperature though. Only today because I felt unusually cold and thought I had a fever.

I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it if it persists.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited December 2015
    If you're turning blue you might want to see a doctor to check you out for heart problems/and of pulmonary problems.
  • pineygirl
    Just my nailbeds. Used to happen all the time before I knew I had hypothyroidism. Actually, that and a low heart rate were my only symptoms. Once I started medication the blue nailbeds happened way less frequently.

I'll mention it to my doctor the next time I see her.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Doesn't matter, cyanotic nail beds can still be an early and significant indictator of oxygenation issues, especially if it's occurring with exercising it could be a sign that circulating oxygenating blood is insufficient either due to a circulation issue (your heart can't keep with circulating non essential tissues during cardio),pulmonary (you lungs can't fully oxygenate blood while doing cardio), hematologically (you are anemic and can't carry as much oxygen on your cells to properly oxygenate) or possibly you need to have your medications adjusted as the dosing is insufficient and that's causing an oxygenation issue. Or some other reason. But you should definitely mention it. If your core temp is also dropping it might be your thyroid meds need adjusting. Have you taken a core temperature? Is your basement cold- it could be your blood is shunted to your core organs. Depending what type of temp you are taking that could maybe be it.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV, but I recall some studies that showed that thyroxine (T4) was degraded a lot faster during exercise than during resting periods. Might have something to do with your core temperature dropping. I'd explain to your doctor what is causing this -- she might want to change your protocol up a bit.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if it weren't for the underlying condition, I would say that it is relatively common. my nails don't turn blue but I do shiver and have to be under the covers sipping warm drinks. I find it's gotten worse the colder it is. There are theories about glycogen depletion or dehydration. I don't believe either to be the cause. hydrating doesn't help and neither does GU and/or other products to help with the glycogen.
    A lot has been written about it. I like this reasoning
    that being said, with your underlying condition, talk to your doctor who is treating you for the hypothyroidism
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    if it weren't for the underlying condition, I would say that it is relatively common. my nails don't turn blue but I do shiver and have to be under the covers sipping warm drinks. I find it's gotten worse the colder it is. There are theories about glycogen depletion or dehydration. I don't believe either to be the cause. hydrating doesn't help and neither does GU and/or other products to help with the glycogen.
    that being said, with your underlying condition, talk to your doctor who is treating you for the hypothyroidism

+1

I have the same problem (arms, fingers, turn white not blue), except it only crops up when I'm finished a long run outside in cold temps. I'm perfectly warm and fine (usually hot and sweating) while running, but after I stop and am home the chills start. I've plopped myself in a hot bath for an hour with a mug of hot tea and still not been able to warm up, still have white fingers.

That said, I'm with everyone else - talk to your doc. I'd be suspicious something else is going on.
  • pineygirl
    moyer566 wrote: »

I did Dr. Google it and came across this. It definitely has to do with sweating so much and being wet and cold. Then taking a 5 minute hot shower....and having wet hair on to of it (and though didn't shower right after my workout the other day).

My temp wasn't as bad today after my workout. 96.7.

And the blue nailbeds usually happens when I'm cold....I don't have to have just exercised. It happens in the winter....and also in the summer from air conditioning. It just doesn't happen so much now that I'm on thyroid meds.

And my basement is cold. I didn't realize how chilly it is down there. It's around 64 degrees.

I'll still mention it to my endocrinologist next time I see her.