Spices good or not?

Options
Are spices good for loosing weight or not?
Do they stimulate our appetite?!!
(Specially peper)

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    They can make your food taste good. Some have more calories than others, but I don't think they will have any noticeable impact on weight loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like nutmeg!! It's my favorite.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    They can make your food taste good. Some have more calories than others, but I don't think they will have any noticeable impact on weight loss.

^this
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I like nutmeg!! It's my favorite.

Nutmeg is awesome in raisin cookies!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    shiva96 wrote: »
    Are spices good for loosing weight or not?
    Do they stimulate our appetite?!!
    (Specially pepper)

Interesting question. I suppose one way for me to eat less would be to stop using salt, as I find food bland and unpalatable without it. But I don't think spices are appetitive stimulators per se.

I don't know if you mean black, sweet, or hot pepper. Hot peppers are definitely not an appetite stimulator for me. I enjoy them quite a bit but have to eat spicy food slowly and carefully.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Spices make food taste better but have no measurable effect on weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    spices have zero relationship to weight loss, for that you need a calorie deficit.
  • Even365
    Even365 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It was prouved that someone who has a very spicy meal eats less at the following meal :)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Even365 wrote: »
    It was prouved that someone who has a very spicy meal eats less at the following meal :)

No it wasn't
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I heard taking cinnamon capsules is supposed to help boost your metabolism but I have not seen any scientific proof of it (studies etc)
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »
    I heard taking cinnamon capsules is supposed to help boost your metabolism but I have not seen any scientific proof of it (studies etc)

This too is a bunch of hooey (most likely put forth by manufacturers of cinnamon capsules)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Spices are a fabulous replacement for sugar (calories & cravings), fat (calories), and salt (water retention & can impact blood pressure for some people) because of the flavor they add to food. So they can support your process in that way. It's not 100% replacement, but can help a great deal, for me 50-75% replaced.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hmichaud09 wrote: »

I am sorry that just not true..

the only think you can do to boost metabolism is to boost exercise...
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    No, spices are great for giving flavor to the foods you cook. Nothing more really. One spice I recommend is sumac. Great for after cooking on chicken, eggs and beef. Gives a ketchup like flavor.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Spices are a fabulous replacement for sugar (calories & cravings), fat (calories), and salt (water retention & can impact blood pressure for some people) because of the flavor they add to food. So they can support your process in that way. It's not 100% replacement, but can help a great deal, for me 50-75% replaced.

Exactly!
  • ndj1979
    Options

links to studies that prove this?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Herbs, spices, and seasonings are excellent for weight loss. They can make otherwise bland food taste wonderful! When you eat because you enjoy your food, rather than just eat to eat, you are more likely to be happy with smaller portions. Yes, seasonings that contain salt can make you retain water but it is easy to make your own seasoning blends without salt if you have a decent selection of herbs and spices.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

links to studies that prove this?

'Cuz heartburn!! Dontcha think? B)
  • ndj1979
    Options

earlnabby wrote: »
    Herbs, spices, and seasonings are excellent for weight loss. They can make otherwise bland food taste wonderful! When you eat because you enjoy your food, rather than just eat to eat, you are more likely to be happy with smaller portions. Yes, seasonings that contain salt can make you retain water but it is easy to make your own seasoning blends without salt if you have a decent selection of herbs and spices.

the converse argument would be they make food taste too good and you overeat...so I can see that reasoning cutting both ways....
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I heard if you rub cayenne pepper on your privates it stimulates weight loss. JK Actually when I was younger I told a friend jokingly that if you rub cayenne pepper on your forehead it stimulates muscle growth. Dumbass actually tried it. Burned the crap out of his eyes. lol