Calories burned seem WAY too high!

arielm2015
arielm2015 Posts: 12 Member
Hello so I'm new to using the vivofit with HRM. I just received it for Christmas so I'm still trying to figure it out. I just for the first time today used the HRM while working out. I took it off after I was finished and then synced it to garmin connect and MFP. I was working out over the course of about 2 hours but not consistently (taking short breaks in between videos). They were pretty intense workouts but the calorie burn seems SUPER high (the burn on MFP was over 2000! And my active calories on garmin connect were over 1200 afterwards)! My heart rate according to the monitor stayed between 150-190 over the 2 hours. I'm just really unsure what to think about this, this can't be accurate right?? Please help!

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    The HRM is trash in my opinion. I have a Polar FT4 HRM and it has consistenly told me that I burn about 100-130 calories every 10 minutes. Even the machines at the gym say the same thing when I forget my HRM and just enter my height and weight. Then I got the Garmin Vivofit 2 with HRM and during 30 minutes of Zumba, it told me I burned 1,232 calories. WTF

After visiting the Garmin Connect boards I'm assuming the HRM+ steps counter is producing these high numbers. When I do Zumba, I'm stepping and waving my arms (the wrist band will register steps if you just stand in place and swing your arms) so it's thinking you are taking all of these steps in a short amount of time, you must be sprinting or something.

I've had mine for months, and the HRM has never produced an accurate number. So I continue to use my Polar for a HRM.

Your calorie count is probably high because even when you aren't exercising, you are burning calories.
  • DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    arielm2015 wrote: »
    Hello so I'm new to using the vivofit with HRM. I just received it for Christmas so I'm still trying to figure it out. I just for the first time today used the HRM while working out. I took it off after I was finished and then synced it to garmin connect and MFP. I was working out over the course of about 2 hours but not consistently (taking short breaks in between videos). They were pretty intense workouts but the calorie burn seems SUPER high (the burn on MFP was over 2000! And my active calories on garmin connect were over 1200 afterwards)! My heart rate according to the monitor stayed between 150-190 over the 2 hours. I'm just really unsure what to think about this, this can't be accurate right?? Please help!

Using a HRM won't give an accurate calorie burn unless you're fit with a low HR, and are doing constant cardio (i.e. running without stopping). There are a lot of threads in the forums discussing why, which may be worth having a look for.

Personally, I'm unfit and when I run my HR goes up to the max (i.e. 190s), so the calorie burn it gives me is insane, and no where near correct, this is the same for circuit training. That's because any amount of movement makes my HR shoot up, but this isn't related to calorie burn (in a linear way anyway).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    arielm2015 wrote: »

As a reference point, if I workout for 2 hours with a HR at 150 I will defintely burn about 1300-1400 calories. Thats at 150lbs. The Garmin doesnt seem that far off to me. See how it affects your weight losss when you use the numbers.