Yeast: what's the scoop??

BuddhaB0y
BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so can someone tell me about what this whole "yeast" thing is all about???

I have people telling me that they have been diagnosed by actual real doctors, as having excess yeast in their guts which is causing all kinds of terrible things to happen to their bodies including bloating, weight gain and malaise and I tuned out to the rest of it.

Am I being a jerk for thinking that it's woo?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    No clue but I was told I had too much yeast when I was getting Tinea. I was also bloated very often. Beats me.
  • BuddhaB0y

Thanks but not really what I'm asking about.

This is about yeast levels in the gut causing issues.

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    I don't think you're a jerk. Lots of people claim to see actual doctors but they're really talking about naturopaths or chiropractors or what have you. Those guys aren't jerks either, but they're not doctors.

I hope your friends find the relief they're looking for.

I'm mostly here because the title of this thread just gave me a huge craving for some cashew cheese sauce with a big heaping scoop of nooch.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited January 2016
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »

http://www.nationalcandidacenter.com/Leaky-Gut-and-Candida-Yeast-Infection-s/1823.htm

Candida overgrowth (candida albicans) can lead to candida yeast infection and Leaky gut syndrome which is medically referred to as intestinal permeability. Leaky gut is a major gastrointestinal disorder that occurs when openings develop in the gut wall. These tiny holes can be created when candida overgrowth moves to a more serious stage of candida yeast infection and the candida yeast grows roots or hypha (plural hyphae) which is a long, branching filamentous cell of a fungus. This fungal growth is a more advanced stage of development in the candida albicans yeast infection. The hyphae spreads the bowel wall cells apart so that acidic, harmful microorganisms and macromolecules are then able to pass through (leak) these openings and enter the circulatory system. Thus the name Leaky Gut. The body is alerted to the invader and creates antibodies for protection, activates the immune system, and thus is born a food allergy. Food allergies are directly linked to leaky gut and candida yeast infection overgrowth.

As a result, leaky gut syndrome and candida yeast infection can directly lead to many other systemic inflammatory and immune-related symptoms beyond food allergies, including rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, multiple sclerosis, eczema, fibromyalgia, Crohn's disease, Raynaud's phenomenon, chronic urticaria (hives), and inflammatory bowel disease. These are all generally referred to as conditions of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Thus candida yeast infection and candida overgrowth is related to IBS in all its forms. Major signs and symptoms of leaky gut syndrome include:
    • Facial swelling upon exposure to strong smells
    • Bloating, gas, and cramps immediately after eating
    • Alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea
    • Headaches, poor concentration, and irritability
    • Food Allergies
    • Headaches
    • Irritability
    • Lack of concentration
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Google "leaky gut syndrome" and it just gets more confusing.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/leaky-gut-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"'Leaky gut syndrome' is a proposed condition some health practitioners claim is the cause of a wide range of long-term conditions, including chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis (MS)."
  • BuddhaB0y
    edited January 2016
    This all sounds super scary.... And total *kitten*.

The cdc site talks about invasive candiditis as a life threatening condition that puts people in hospital for extended periods and on heavy antibiotics.

The site above talking about it like its the cause or symptom of a ton of things yet can be cured by lifestyle changes and natural herbs and whatnot

But that's me..... Anyone aware of Any actual accredited medical journal articles on this?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016

You asked:
    Ok so can someone tell me about what this whole "yeast" thing is all about???

Regarding the website I took the time to find and link you: Is it, or is it not, a solid general overview regarding the yeast you are inquiring about?

Since your fingers must be sprained tonight, here ya go:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163673/

:)

ETA: Keep in mind, not presenting that paper as a definitive anything. Just one example grabbed as randomly as SEO allows for such these days. As with any 'scientific publication', read it with an eye on critical thinking and understanding how research is conducted. Use indexing keywords to find other papers on the subject.
  • holothuroidea
    This all sounds super scary.... And total *kitten*.

The cdc site talks about invasive candiditis as a life threatening condition that puts people in hospital for extended periods and on heavy antibiotics.

The site above talking about it like its the cause or symptom of a ton of things yet can be cured by lifestyle changes and natural herbs and whatnot

But that's me..... Anyone aware of Any actual accredited medical journal articles on this?

Ok now I think you're kind of a jerk.

We're not your own personal google research group.

Unless you are willing to pay us?
  • BuddhaB0y
    I'm not asking for people to research it, I was asking if anyone has a good factual understanding of the issue and if it is more based in homeopathy or in real science.

I have googled it in the past and found the same basic studies, but to me, they look very suspect. There are a lot of very smart people on here and I was asking for their input if they are so inclined.

Please don't bother commenting if you don't have something useful to add to the conversation, I didn't ask you specifically to look for anything.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    So, since none of us are the friends in question, or their doctors, it doesn't look like we can answer to your satisfaction.

My son had a yeast infection as a baby in the GI tract. It was present as white spots in his mouth and a rash on his bottom. We used a cream on his skin (and mine, so I wouldn't give it back to him once he cleared it) and he got oral drops of an antifungal medication several times a day. That is a pretty common issue in babies.

It is also a major issue in people with suppressed immune systems. People with AIDS, or who are immune suppressed due to treatment for autoimmune disease and treatment, or those going through chemo are at a high risk for having major issues from something like yeast that is benign or (at most) annoying for most healthy people.

In newborns and immune suppressed patients with yeast infections, it doesn't cause weight gain, bloating, or malaise.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    I don't think you're a jerk. Lots of people claim to see actual doctors but they're really talking about naturopaths or chiropractors or what have you. Those guys aren't jerks either, but they're not doctors.

I hope your friends find the relief they're looking for.

I'm mostly here because the title of this thread just gave me a huge craving for some cashew cheese sauce with a big heaping scoop of nooch.

Same, I got excited as hell!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    If the question is, do intestinal yeast infections exist, the answer is pretty clearly yes. However, if someone has diagnosed themselves or been diagnosed by some quack and is blaming their weight problem on intestinal yeast, that's where the "wuh?" comes in. It begins sounding like that parasite we're all supposed to have that is secretly making us fat and the only way to cure it is to click on a sketchy banner ad and give out our credit card info.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    This could be a direct result of the Harcombe diet where everything but eating too much and moving too little is blamed for your being overweight

I loved that book

http://theharcombediet.com/2014/03/candida-and-food-cravings/
  • holothuroidea
    I'm not asking for people to research it, I was asking if anyone has a good factual understanding of the issue and if it is more based in homeopathy or in real science.

I have googled it in the past and found the same basic studies, but to me, they look very suspect. There are a lot of very smart people on here and I was asking for their input if they are so inclined.

Please don't bother commenting if you don't have something useful to add to the conversation, I didn't ask you specifically to look for anything.

I'm sorry. It's frustrating to watch an OP dismiss everyone who takes the time to look up things and make posts because the answers just aren't good enough for them. Maybe you are unaware of your tone?

Honestly, I don't believe what you are looking for exists. You have stumbled upon a quagmire. The medical community seems to be equally befuddled on the subject at this time. My advice to you would be to support your friends in their endeavors and keep your (very legitimate) suspicions of woo to yourself for now while they try to parse it out.
  • BuddhaB0y
    I apologize I'm not trying to be rude. In the 2 months I've been here I've been attacked by a number of people picking my words apart. I don't have a lot of tolerance for it.

Your first link just seemed to talk about external yeast and oral and genital yeast. I didn't see any mention of yeast in the stomach and intestines. I apologize if I overlooked it.

As for my friend I do support her and she has some very real medical issues. I was just trying to get more information on this because it seems like it was more of a homeopathic diagnosis than one based in established medical science.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help

• holothuroidea
    I totally get that! No worries, friend.

That link wasn't mine. I did look at it, though. It also talks about invasive infections but even if you follow that link it doesn't really account for the sort of "excess yeast in the gut" problem you're talking about.

Can we just acknowledge how problematic the phrase "excess yeast in the gut" is? I mean, how much yeast is excess? What species of yeast is causing problems? Where, exactly, is "the gut." That doesn't sound at all like a diagnosis. The symptoms of these "diseases" tend to be very vague and subjective as well. So all signs definitely point to woo.

The problem, though, is that there are so many people who have issues with this and just because the exact mechanisms are elusive, it doesn't make them any less real for the person suffering from them. If a naturopath makes a person feel better, I'm not going to criticize. But a naturopath is not a doctor.