Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I freaking FINALLY got to compete. I've been wanting this for so long. Went 7/9. Looking forward to beating that and lifting more next time! Thanks to @SideSteel for programming and meet prep!

I'm not going to post bench...it's on IG for fun but the struggle was real lol.

Squat 2nd Attempt 203.9

This was my 3rd attempt at 214.9. I got two red lights for depth on this but I'm happy with the attempt selection and the squat in general. It was close

3rd Attempt Deadlift PR 253.5. Didn't feel very heavy.

My she-ro!!! Great work; I hope you loved it!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I freaking FINALLY got to compete. I've been wanting this for so long. Went 7/9. Looking forward to beating that and lifting more next time! Thanks to @SideSteel for programming and meet prep!

Squat 2nd Attempt 203.9

This was my 3rd attempt at 214.9. I got two red lights for depth on this but I'm happy with the attempt selection and the squat in general. It was close

Grats
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    edited September 2016
    I reworked by bench over the summer some and I'm about back to where I was with a little wider hand placement to help deal with elbow flair coming up from the bottom. Still cutting and back down to about 181(shooting for 160-165 in the next 12 weeks). Here's 190lbs for 8 reps

https://youtu.be/9XxUJBMpobc

Also 260 for 10 this morning on squat...still recovering from my pain in the @ss "injury" and feeling sore and weak with deficit and running close to 13+ miles this weekend :weary:

https://youtu.be/VQDoKbH-few

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

Squat 2nd Attempt 203.9

You did awesome!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    GD, I love your damn swagger @arditarose
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    GD, I love your damn swagger @arditarose

lol but the singlet...that could use work.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Awesome job @maranarasauce93 ! You too @arditarose ! You ladies are rock stars!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Awesome lifting @maranarasauce93 !
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Pretty sure this isn't 90% or my 3 rep max anymore. 6th set of triples at 80kg/176lb, supersetted with triples at 60.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    This was last night's top set. I've been mostly squatting high bar but it seems to have improved my low bar as I switched at the top sets. This is 222.5 for 2 and was preceded by 205 for 2. The dialogue is my husband talking about my dog galloping around like an idiot upstairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki5JtcoQh38&feature=youtu.be
  • Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete!! November, 5th!!

Still undecided if I want to compete at 181 or 165 though. Not sure I'll get the records at 165 but I know I will at 181 :smiley:

Good luck!!! I just signed up for my first meet too on January 15th!
  • juliewatkin
    Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete!! November, 5th!!

Still undecided if I want to compete at 181 or 165 though. Not sure I'll get the records at 165 but I know I will at 181 :smiley:

Are you planning to train with an experienced competitor prior to the meet?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Pr city! Only .5kg over my previous best, but 4kg over my previous paused pr. 88kg/193.6lb. 200 will be mine next week!

• MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member

Yes. I've been training several times a week with Lance Karabel (USPF President) and Ed Coan. Any particular reason you ask?
  • juliewatkin

Yes. I've been training several times a week with Lance Karabel (USPF President) and Ed Coan. Any particular reason you ask?

It's helpful for new lifters to really understand what is expected in a competition with regards to rules. It's always disheartening to have new lifters come to their first meet and not get a total because they don't realize what depth is expected, they jump commands or make a host of minor errors that are easily avoidable if they spend a bit of time training with experienced individuals. Many people head into their first meet with big expectations and are derailed by minutiae. I'm glad to hear you have that in hand.
  • Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to compete!! November, 5th!!

It's helpful for new lifters to really understand what is expected in a competition with regards to rules. It's always disheartening to have new lifters come to their first meet and not get a total because they don't realize what depth is expected, they jump commands or make a host of minor errors that are easily avoidable if they spend a bit of time training with experienced individuals. Many people head into their first meet with big expectations and are derailed by minutiae. I'm glad to hear you have that in hand.

I'm really worried about this happening to me at my first meet in January. I train alone so I've just been recording a lot of my lifts so I can see my form and pausing my bench press. It's a push/pull meet for beginners so I don't have to worry about squats and hitting depth, but I'm nervous about blowing the bench commands.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

^ I definitely agree with all of this.

When I'm prepping clients for their first meet there is a LOT of talk about commands, a lot of video review, and the majority of the prep is about setting expectations, teaching proper attempt selection strategy, and really PREPARING them for what to expect on competition day.

It's alarming to me how poorly prepared some people can be, and I don't say this to be insulting to the athletes at all, just to be clear.

Missing commands, very poor attempt selection strategy (I saw one dude GRIND a squat rep in the warmup room followed by missing his opener), missing depth by a mile, not understanding bench rules (heels up), and just all kinds of ridiculousness.

In my opinion, athletes and aspiring powerlifters should really treat the first couple of competitions as opportunities to gain experience. Learn the rules of the sport, don't go attempting to smash multiple PR's your first time out unless it falls within smart attempt selections (See Matt Gary's work on attempt selections, it's amazing).

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    I would not let not having a mentor stop you from competing, though. I know nobody has said that so I'm not directing it at anybody.

Powerlifting is not a common sport where I live and I have to travel a minimum of 2 hours to compete in any events I've lifted in. So needless to say, I've never worked with a trainer and I go rogue at events and I've done well so far. I'm working on helping make the sport grow around here, but for now, options are limited.

I will drive home the fact that it is absolutely necessary to know commands going in. Not being prepared is not only embarrassing, but can be dangerous as well to yourself and spotters.