• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    A few things to note, and this will be sort of random replies to bits and pieces in this thread.

First, I'd direct most of what I'm saying to people who have experience dieting and not to first timers since there are some behavioral and adherence aspects that are massively important that would come into play.

As far as deficit size, coming out of a bulk I don't think it's unreasonable to start out with a slightly aggressive deficit. You're theoretically fatter (because you just finished bulking), you're not going to be food focused (because you just finished bulking) and you're basically primed for fat loss. Because you are fatter, you are less likely to lose lean mass so you can afford to be more aggressive simply because more body fat is available to make up the energy gap).

So it may make sense to use a slightly aggressive deficit in the first 2 weeks or so of the diet provided that you know what you're doing and can execute this without adherence difficulties. I wouldn't take this approach with most people who are not already doing bulk and cut cycles, and well adjusted to dieting however.

Aggressive being...1 pound per week? I'd be interested in taking two weeks fast and then slowing it down. But my maintenance is only 1800. Would you suggest that for someone like me?

You can still apply the same method but instead of thinking of it in terms of weight loss I'd think of it in terms of % TDEE perhaps.

So for example we might call a "reasonable cut" to be somewhere around 15-20% reduction in TDEE. Aggressive might be 30-35% or so.

This also assumes that you're in a position where it's appropriate for you to start a cut, you've got good adherence, etc, etc, crap I said earlier, lol.

lol Okay. I consider 20% aggressive for me ha. Now I get you though.

I think for someone who has a low TDEE, a 20% cut can be very aggressive, but with someone like me who has TDEE of 3000 calories, a 20% cut isn't bad.

Yeah makes sense. Actually 20% is probably just too aggressive for me. I can't eat 1300 calories, who am I kidding? Crap...maybe I need to start cutting now lol.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few things to note, and this will be sort of random replies to bits and pieces in this thread.

First, I'd direct most of what I'm saying to people who have experience dieting and not to first timers since there are some behavioral and adherence aspects that are massively important that would come into play.

As far as deficit size, coming out of a bulk I don't think it's unreasonable to start out with a slightly aggressive deficit. You're theoretically fatter (because you just finished bulking), you're not going to be food focused (because you just finished bulking) and you're basically primed for fat loss. Because you are fatter, you are less likely to lose lean mass so you can afford to be more aggressive simply because more body fat is available to make up the energy gap).

So it may make sense to use a slightly aggressive deficit in the first 2 weeks or so of the diet provided that you know what you're doing and can execute this without adherence difficulties. I wouldn't take this approach with most people who are not already doing bulk and cut cycles, and well adjusted to dieting however.

Aggressive being...1 pound per week? I'd be interested in taking two weeks fast and then slowing it down. But my maintenance is only 1800. Would you suggest that for someone like me?

You can still apply the same method but instead of thinking of it in terms of weight loss I'd think of it in terms of % TDEE perhaps.

So for example we might call a "reasonable cut" to be somewhere around 15-20% reduction in TDEE. Aggressive might be 30-35% or so.

This also assumes that you're in a position where it's appropriate for you to start a cut, you've got good adherence, etc, etc, crap I said earlier, lol.

I think for someone who has a low TDEE, a 20% cut can be very aggressive, but with someone like me who has TDEE of 3000 calories, a 20% cut isn't bad.

Yeah makes sense. Actually 20% is probably just too aggressive for me. I can't eat 1300 calories, who am I kidding? Crap...maybe I need to start cutting now lol.

Sounds like someone needs a few HIIT sessions to increase her TDEE so she can eat more!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Sounds like someone needs a few HIIT sessions to increase her TDEE so she can eat more!!!

lemme alone!

Yeah you're right though it's probably not going to happen unless you come and make me.
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I'm cutting right now on 2700 calories which is around 15% TDEE reduction. It seems manageable but I'm still overeating once every 7-14 days because I get so hungry. I wish I could cut harder but I must have some messed up hunger hormones or something.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 10% deficit at the moment. Fat is slowly coming off, and I don't care how much, as long as it's heading in that direction!
    Luckily I'm one of those smarmy *kitten* that doesn't end up too far out of my range. I've got too many close fitting clothes that cause abject misery at the slightest gain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 10% deficit at the moment. Fat is slowly coming off, and I don't care how much, as long as it's heading in that direction!
    Luckily I'm one of those smarmy *kitten* that doesn't end up too far out of my range. I've got too many close fitting clothes that cause abject misery at the slightest gain.

I started my bulk earlier than last time so that I could slow cut into spring/summer...
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    FSLSBSmfp wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I'm cutting right now on 2700 calories which is around 15% TDEE reduction. It seems manageable but I'm still overeating once every 7-14 days because I get so hungry. I wish I could cut harder but I must have some messed up hunger hormones or something.

Oh my gods, if I could cut on 2,700 I would be the happiest person ever... xD
    On the bright side, I'm still bulking pretty slowly (if at all) on 3,000 so I think I might be in luck...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I started my bulk earlier than last time so that I could slow cut into spring/summer...

Do you cut at a % of tdee or fixed number? My inclination has always been percent.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Almost a month into my cut and I've dropped from 183 to 175. Keep in mind the first couple days I dropped atleast 3-4lbs of water. So I'm looking at about a lb a week weight loss. Excited though because I'm REFEEDING tonight!!!!!! Souplantation is about to get wrecked by me lol. Then hit legs hard in the morning. Shreds are slowly starting to come in though! Happy with progress so far!(:
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm technically on a super long cut and have yet to bulk. I started at 230 lbs (5'7") and am now at 144, carrying most of the leftover body fat within my stomach.

I did not really strength train until around 165 lbs, and with the 20 or so lbs lost since then- my strength has increased. I am still in a deficit (about 1600 calories a day, maintenance is about 1950) and my strength still continues to increase.

My main question is, would a refeed be beneficial for someone like me who: 1- has never bulked before and 2- still carries a bit of belly fat.

And if yes, how often would I need one and about how many calories would qualify as a proper refeed?

Thanks!
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This came up in a previous thread, and instead of derailing that one, I thought it would be best to post this and see if we can get a general consensus on cutting techniques post bulk to maximize fat loss, and minimize muscle loss.

My basic understanding is the following:
    1. Get sufficient protein, which I tend to define as up to one gram per pound of body weight.
    2. Keep a small deficit 100 to 200 calories.
    3. Get adequate training stimulus that involves a blend of strength and hypertrophy.

I would be curious as to thoughts on what people feel is "adequate" training stimulus and amount of volume that one can handle on a cut, which I understand will also be dependent on how progressively one is cutting. I am still running PHUL in my cut and my volume is just about the same; however, on certain days instead of doing 4x4 on heavy compounds, I will cut that back to 3x4 if I am not "feeling it".

I would also be curious as to how everyone utilizes refeeds when cutting, as this is something that I do not think I am properly utilizing.

I just eat @ my TDEE pre workout calculation, and burn it through weight lifting/cardio. My routine doesn't change at all. No need to over-complicate things.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm technically on a super long cut and have yet to bulk. I started at 230 lbs (5'7") and am now at 144, carrying most of the leftover body fat within my stomach.

I did not really strength train until around 165 lbs, and with the 20 or so lbs lost since then- my strength has increased. I am still in a deficit (about 1600 calories a day, maintenance is about 1950) and my strength still continues to increase.

My main question is, would a refeed be beneficial for someone like me who: 1- has never bulked before and 2- still carries a bit of belly fat.

And if yes, how often would I need one and about how many calories would qualify as a proper refeed?

Thanks!

Sounds like you need a bulk sooner than later. Do you know what your BF% is?
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I can't say for sure, but with my measurements- multiple body fat calculators estimate around 18%
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thanks!

I can't say for sure, but with my measurements- multiple body fat calculators estimate around 18%

Sounds like you lost a lot of muscle then and you'll need to rebuild it.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am entertaining starting a bulk around July. I am currently recomping but my body fat is probably now low enough to bulk. And by July it defiantly will be low enough.

I have been doing a lot of reading and a little pre planning for it. For the last week and a half I tried eating at a small deficit (90ish calories) just to see what a cut would be like while lifting weights. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT!!?? Today the last few reps were brutal. Does it get better with time?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am entertaining starting a bulk around July. I am currently recomping but my body fat is probably now low enough to bulk. And by July it defiantly will be low enough.

I have been doing a lot of reading and a little pre planning for it. For the last week and a half I tried eating at a small deficit (90ish calories) just to see what a cut would be like while lifting weights. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT!!?? Today the last few reps were brutal. Does it get better with time?

No, it actually gets worse TBH. Lifting in a deficit sucks and that's just something you have to get adjusted to.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, it sucks.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

No, it actually gets worse TBH. Lifting in a deficit sucks and that's just something you have to get adjusted to.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yea, it sucks.

That is what I was afraid of...I may have to do 1-2 maintenance days a week during a cut - if I do a bulk and cut cycle.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually start a cut 1-2lb a week because I'm in the 225-230 lb range and floating 15-16% when I start. The current cut, I hit several PRs on the bench and OHP so I was quite pleased.

When I get down to 14%bf my energy takes a slight dip. My strength program I bastardized from Wendler's years ago, I keep steady at and possibly have to deload once eventually. But my assistance/hypertrophy work I'll peel a set down to only four and on a bad day walk after three sets(rare).

Refeeds I began doing my last cut so I'm still figuring it out. I was doing them every week. Currentl cut, I did my first one yesterday after well over a month into the cut.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Hornsby wrote: »
    Yea, it sucks.

That is what I was afraid of...I may have to do 1-2 maintenance days a week during a cut - if I do a bulk and cut cycle.

Refeeds are common but your 90 cal deficit for 1 day shouldn't really have had an impact on your lifts. It was probably just a bad day. Most people find on a cut that it takes about 3 to 4 weeks before they really feel it due to glycogen depletion in the muscles. At that point many will do a high carb refeed day or two to try to replete the glycogen.