Polar V800 vs. Suunto Ambit3 Peak

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a GPS new watch and I have narrowed my decision down to the Polar V800 or the Suunto Ambit3 Peak. The reason I have chosen these 2 is for the extended battery life. I'm getting into longer and longer runs preparing for ultra marathons and want the longer battery life.

I have been using the Polar M400 and the Suunto Ambit2 R over the last year and love both watches. I did have some minor issues with the Polar which need to be repaired under warranty. However, I really like Polar's Flow web site. Suunto's Movescount not so much.

Are there any long term users of either of these products that could provide some feedback on any problems or reliability issues you may have come across? Or,maybe just some good advice as to which product you prefer and why.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm not the market for a Garmin (been there done that and regretted it ever since).

Replies

• oeagleo
    oeagleo Posts: 70 Member
    I hear you about the Garmin! I've owned the 910, Edge 700, 800, and 850? and finally settled on the Polar V650 for a bike computer. However, we're not discussing that. I have an M800, and like it quite a bit. However, the data that comes from it isn't all that great. I also have had the Ambit 2, (not the S, the "full" Ambit 2) which I sold when I purchased the Ambit 3 Peak. I have to tell you that this watch is the ultimate, and has some really cool features, like the instant readout of your EPOC, Training Load, and with the Ambit 3, Recovery time, and activity level for the day, and week on the watch face as alternate views. It also serves (like the M400) as an activity tracker.
    I will say that I do like the Polar website better than Movescount, but what I do, is I export each of my activities, be they with Polar, or Movescount, and then import them into a great tracking program called SportTracks 3. That is better than either of the other software, and it's relatively inexpensive. They also have an online program named sporttracks.mobi, that isn't quite as extensive as the full version.
    I haven't owned the v800, but do honestly believe that the quality that is apparent in the Suunto products will speak for themselves. I would (and did, actually) go with the Ambit 3 Peak. I love mine.
    Hope that helps at least a little.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I have had the V800 for a month and like it a lot so far. I will admit that I am barely using any of the features, however. I always buy about 10x more technology than I need-- "just in case"-- ;-)
    But I wanted beat by beat analysis, and when I compared all the features, the V800 wasn't that much more than the M400.
    For me the biggest determining factor was the website and general support from Polar vs Suunto. With the introduction of the Ambit series, I have read about numerous issues with the movescount site and glitches with software updates and that scared me off.
    Again, I am not using GPS or notification features yet, but I have had the watch for a month and the battery still reads 100% charged. The V800 syncs easily with either phone (via Bluetooth) or the Polarflow website. The USB connector is a bit funky. It is a proprietary design like a giant clip that fits over the watch, rather than a micro USB port. I think that it because the watch is waterproof, so there is a rubber cap that covers the connector. It takes some practice to fit the clip on properly so that the watch actually connects. Some users reported that, over time, they experienced some problems with the fit.

I don't know that you can go wrong with either device. Ultimately, it will depend on what specific features you think are more important.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    I've been using the V800 for over a year, I've used the GPS features, for just walking around the neighborhood, to walking around a cruise ship. As for the neighborhood, it was pretty much spot on, only giving me a lap count when I came within a few feet of my starting point on the same side of the street. Didn't expect that on the cruise ship, because it was moving. I've worn it 100ft diving, mine didn't come with a rubber cap, and I so it has a little buildup in the pc connection, but it still works when I have to sync, or charge it. The Battery last me about 3 week, and I use it with a H7 Sensor, and Cadence sensor, during my workouts 5 to 7 days a week, 1hr each time. My band is a little worn, I sent polar a request on how I could replace it, and they sent me a new on free. The only drawback is, it will only sync with MFP using an Apple device.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Thanks for the input guys,

I already purchased the V800 (i got a pretty good deal on Amazon) and used it for a couple for weeks. I got several runs in, including a 20 mile long run. The battery life seemed to be great as well as the GPS accuracy and I loved the recovery features in Polar Flow. However, I have already started return process. I had several syncing issues and problems with the HRM dropping during activity (same issues I had with my M400).

So, Needless to say as soon as the return is processed from Amazon I will be purchasing the Suunto Ambit3 Peak. Until then its back to my old reliable Ambit 2R.

@oeagleo I have signed up for the free 45 day trial at Sporttrack.mobi. I'm still trying to figure everything out and get some of my activities uploaded.
  • ChessieTRR
    ChessieTRR Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Greg! Hoping you can help. I am in the exact same position you were a couple of years ago; trying to choose between the V800 and the ambit3. My main use is for swimming which is also why I have written off Garmin. Their devices are complete rubbish when it comes to water, they've given me endless headaches. How have you found the Ambit since swapping out the V800?
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I have the V800 & A3P, but they sit in my drawer since I got the Garmin fenix 5. They are both great devices, but the Garmin has so many more features, and the Garmin Connect app is so much better. To spite the software issues with Garmin in the past, I have to say they have gotten a lot better, and are just so far ahead with features.

If I had to chose between the V800 and the A3P, I would probably go with the A3P. In fact I still use my A3P to test other devices.

But you could not go wrong with either.