Natural remedies for stress and anxiety

i have horrible anxiety, stress, restlessness...etc. there's no supplement thread on this forum, so I just thought I'd post here. What natural remedies or over the counter remedies or supplements would help with these conditions? I've taken ZMA before for sleep, but didn't really have anxiety when I was taking it, would it help with anxiety as well? Breathing techniques don't really help me. Any teas, foods, or herbal supplements you guys can recommend? Thank you

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Vitamin D and St. John's Wart.

If it's seasonal, I would recommend a real SAD (seasonal affective disorder) light. It's a lamp that displays similar lumens as natural outdoor light that you sit in front of in the morning.

In all honestly therapy was the best treatment for me, and if your symptoms are this great, it would be worth finding a medical professional.
  • Lionfire
    Lionfire Posts: 4 Member
    I feel your pain! I haven't found a natural treatment that works other than mindful breathing, yoga and exercise....Anxiety is a terrible thing to deal with!! Chamomile tea is one that I used to drink but I'm not sure it really did anything.......Good luck.
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    I refuse to take the pharmaceutical route for my anxiety the xanax makes you feel like a zombie. Move to Colorado n theres plenty of herbal stress relievers. ;) helps with appetite too
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Aromatherapy works for me ... lavender, chamomile and frankincense have soothing properties. Some people think citrus aromas help too. I know if I want to feel comforted, I like vanilla and cinnamon combos. For mental clarity and a pick-me-up, any of the mint combinations are good.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Lavender. I have a mist to spray on my pillow, as well as oil on a cotton ball around the house & at work.

Dark chocolate. Just a little. Or hot cocoa.

Exercise.

Valerian is a natural calming & sleep-inducing herb; make tea & hold your nose.
    Or it might be possible to make capsules, but I've never gone that route.

A hot bath by candlelight.

ASKyle wrote:
    Vitamin D and St. John's Wart.
    If it's seasonal, I would recommend a real SAD (seasonal affective disorder) light.
    Those are all for depression, but s/he is asking about anxiety.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Mindfulness meditation
    Writing it out including worst possible scenarios
    Positive affirmation, saying out loud that you're fine and everything is ok
    Walking outside

Rescue remedies tend to be placebos but I wouldn't knock them
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Lifestyle change and eliminating the source of stress are, of course, most ideal. I occasionally use an iOS app called Breathing. It sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.

Have you tried any known adaptogens? I've found ashwagandha effective with more supporting scientific evidence than most other herbal supplements. There's a lot of info with links to studies on examine.com. I just started drinking Tulsi (holy basil) tea, but haven't really noticed a difference. It's commonly used in Ayuvedic medicine. Chamomile is great at night.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I take 5HTP along with talking therapy and just bought a SAD light. The same regulation problems that occur with weight loss supplements happen with mood supplements, so do your research and check with your doctor.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    Only thing that hasn't been mentioned that has helped me is upping my magnesium supplement.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Regular exercise helps me tremendously. This has helped as well: http://www.alpranax.com It's a trial, which means if you don't want to pay full price you have to cancel before the trial period is over. It's also good for sleep and the anxiety I have about going to the dentist.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,041 Member
    Natural Calm magnesium supplement, fish oil, and eating plenty of good, natural fats.

MBSR meditation helps too.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Regular exercise
    Meditation
    Tea
    Natural Calm's magnesium powder (helps with relaxing and falling asleep)
    Making a to do list before bed for the next day
  • As for non prescription drugs, I don't know, except maybe Vitamin D. SAD/blue light and regular exercise works wonders for me. Other than that, I have to say that there's no shame in going on medication. It's changed my life.

You may also consider therapy. After I was involved in a fatal car crash last year, I went for EMDR therapy and it was incredibly effective for my anxiety and PTSD. Google it....it sounds strange and I was skeptical, but it worked.

Best of luck. Anxiety and depression suck.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I take 5HTP along with talking therapy and just bought a SAD light. The same regulation problems that occur with weight loss supplements happen with mood supplements, so do your research and check with your doctor.

I take 5HTP in a blend with melatonin and L-theanine every night to help me sleep, and I always feel less anxious the next day when I'm taking it.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Yes. Drop your kids off with a friend and go out shopping!
  • 3AAnn3 wrote: »
    Yes. Drop your kids off with a friend and go out shopping!
    I know you're trying to be helpful but that's not going to help someone with anxiety an depression. It's not simply a matter of "cheering up"
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member

I take 5HTP in a blend with melatonin and L-theanine every night to help me sleep, and I always feel less anxious the next day when I'm taking it.

I take straight up 5HTP, no melatonin, and it helps me sleep, even when I've got a bad case of the 'what ifs' and am lying in bed feeling panicked.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Well, thanks for the opinion, but I find laughter to help ease stress and anxiety significantly.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I second magnesium. I take it externally via magnesium oil, it's like $10 for a bottle that lasts forever. It's great for sore muscles too.

I read that our bodies use up magnesium in many different ways, 300 different biochemical reactions to be exact. Good stress (exercise), bad stress (negative thoughts).... magnesium gets sucked up. And it's not in the soil our food is grown in the way it once was when our parents and grandparents were growing up.

However, for crippling anxiety you may want to seek professional help as supplements I believe are only a way to get through the day.
  • HanahViolet
    HanahViolet Posts: 1 Member
    Hey bro, I totally understand, I had the opportunity to feel it on my own.
    Anyway, I made a research about homemade remedies, because I get addicted to Xenax( medicine for anxiety), so I had to beat up addiction and anxiety.So, I found a magazine that helped me with both problems http://healthyfitnatural.com/. Try with lemon grass also. I read about it in a following magazine.

Good luck!