Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    @psuLemon, Mike Matthews recommends 4-6 rep range for men and 8-10 for women, as you know, and I've been following his program for two years. I'm looking for something new and have checked out PHAT and a program laid out by A Workout Routine. In PHAT, the power moves call for 3-5 reps. Does there really need to be any difference in reps between men and women? TIA.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Just to say that after the advice given last month, I have implemented a PPLUL programme and am really enjoying it. Hitting muscle groups twice a week after years of "bro splits" is proving to work for my body.

That is awesome to hear.

I don't want to say it but it would seem I am building muscle in a deficit................

It's possible, especially since you are young. At the very least, you are getting stronger due to CNS adaptations.

Now the bigger question is, how mad are you for running a bro-split for so long :lol:

I have a really newb question. Exactly what is a "Bro-split?" I see bro this and bro that everywhere lol and my 1970s formatted cranium doesn't get it.

Bro splits are typically low frequency lifting peograms that target muscle groups once per week. I suspect they were made possible because many body builders would follow it. But many of them are using drugs.
    lOL, I think I'll avoid that route. I'm doing aworkoutroutine modified intermediate right now - modified to take certain limitations into account, but that's basically a whole body workout 3x a week with plenty of rest. It seems to be doing the trick so far.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    @psuLemon, Mike Matthews recommends 4-6 rep range for men and 8-10 for women, as you know, and I've been following his program for two years. I'm looking for something new and have checked out PHAT and a program laid out by A Workout Routine. In PHAT, the power moves call for 3-5 reps. Does there really need to be any difference in reps between men and women? TIA.

No. Ugh.
  • leajas1
    @quiksylver296 thanks. As a women I felt bad for even asking that question, but....
  • quiksylver296
    @quiksylver296 thanks. As a women I felt bad for even asking that question, but....

No worries. There are reasons for different rep ranges, but gender isn't one of them.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017

No. Ugh.

Pretty much. Also, if you enjoy his workouts, you can move to beyond BLS, which incorporate periodization. But any program from Layne Norton is going to be top notch as well.
  • quiksylver296

No. Ugh.

Pretty much. Also, if you enjoy his workouts, you can move to beyond BLS, which incorporate periodization. But any program from Layne Norton is going to be top notch as well.

I love Layne Norton's PH3 program, @leajas1, if you're looking for something that cycles high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight.
  • leajas1

No. Ugh.

You were talking about BLS the other day and it hit me that there's nothing stopping me from following that program. TLS only has one follow up (Year One Challenge for Women) and I've worked through that and am just bored). PHAT looks really fun though.
  • leajas1

No. Ugh.

I love Layne Norton's PH3 program, @leajas1, if you're looking for something that cycles high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight.

Thanks, I'll check it out!
  • psuLemon

No. Ugh.

I really enjoyed PHUL while I was able to do it. PHAT was on my short list but I couldnt' do a 5 day program at the time. And I heard a lot of good things about BLS, so I went with that. It's a great program. And interesting enough, much of his information is from Lorton, Araon, Schoenfeld, Riptoe, etc.
  • quiksylver296

No. Ugh.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I liked it better than PHAT, because it keeps more emphasis on the big three (hence PH3) - squats, bench and deads.
  • psuLemon

No. Ugh.

You were talking about BLS the other day and it hit me that there's nothing stopping me from following that program. TLS only has one follow up (Year One Challenge for Women) and I've worked through that and am just bored). PHAT looks really fun though.

If anything I would move to Beyond BLS so you get the benefits from the periodization.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Hmm interesting. I really like Mike Matthews and know he does his research, still something doesn't sit well with me about this. Maybe it is due to most women's preference to train that way? or I have heard we recover differently but not sure if rep ranges have anything to do with it. Strong Curves rep ranges are also very high for the most part. In the end I don't see why women can't train like men if they desire.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

No. Ugh.

I've read that this is an intermediate program and you're supposed to have a certain Wilks before considering it.
    I know you've made some great progress on it, just wondering if anyone had thoughts about that?
  • quiksylver296
    edited January 2017

No. Ugh.

I've read that this is an intermediate program and you're supposed to have a certain Wilks before considering it.
    I know you've made some great progress on it, just wondering if anyone had thoughts about that?

I'd asked the Wilks question before I started it, on this thread I think.

Yes, it recommends a certain Wilks. I was relatively close - like within 15 points if I remember right.

But the answer I got here was as long as you had good form on your lifts, and weren't a newbie, go for it.

It's based off your personal 1RM. So I would think anyone could use it (again, as long as you have good form and aren't a total newb). 72.5% of my 1RM will be different than yours, obviously, but I think that would keep it within anyone's reach/ability.
  • leajas1

No. Ugh.

Uh...I had to look that up and when I did the calculations I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. I'd say I'm pretty strongly in the intermediate box
    Squats: 165lbs 2x6 and 1x5
    DLs: 145lbs 3x4
    Bench: (moving up next chest day) 85lbs 1x10, 1x9, 1x8

Thoughts? I can take hearing I need more work. Thanks!
  • leajas1
    edited January 2017

No. Ugh.

If anything I would move to Beyond BLS so you get the benefits from the periodization.

Thanks - that would be all new for me.

ETA: I'm starting a cut in February so I'll be doing this all in a deficit. My goal will be to maintain as much muscle as possible, as I certainly won't be gaining any.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

No. Ugh.

Yes, it recommends a certain Wilks. I was relatively close - like within 15 points if I remember right.

But the answer I got here was as long as you had good form on your lifts, and weren't a newbie, go for it.

It's based off your personal 1RM. So I would think anyone could use it (again, as long as you have good form and aren't a total newb). 72.5% of my 1RM will be different than yours, obviously, but I think that would keep it within anyone's reach/ability.

No offense to you! I don't doubt your abilities at all, hopefully it didn't come across as that. But it's become pretty popular and I've seen a few people using it who have almost never benched or deadlifted in their lives and I'm like am I missing something..?
  • quiksylver296

No. Ugh.

No offense to you! I don't doubt your abilities at all, hopefully it didn't come across as that. But it's become pretty popular and I've seen a few people using it who have almost never benched or deadlifted in their lives and I'm like am I missing something..?

No offense taken! I agree it's not for new lifters!
  • quiksylver296

No. Ugh.

Uh...I had to look that up and when I did the calculations I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. I'd say I'm pretty strongly in the intermediate box
    Squats: 165lbs 2x6 and 1x5
    DLs: 145lbs 3x4
    Bench: (moving up next chest day) 85lbs 1x10, 1x9, 1x8

Thoughts? I can take hearing I need more work. Thanks!

I would be more concerned about good form than the Wilks number, having used the program for awhile now.

You'll need to know your one rep max (1RM) for bench, squats and deads. You can take your numbers above and use this website to find your 1RM.

http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards