Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    @psuLemon, Mike Matthews recommends 4-6 rep range for men and 8-10 for women, as you know, and I've been following his program for two years. I'm looking for something new and have checked out PHAT and a program laid out by A Workout Routine. In PHAT, the power moves call for 3-5 reps. Does there really need to be any difference in reps between men and women? TIA.

No. Ugh.

Pretty much. Also, if you enjoy his workouts, you can move to beyond BLS, which incorporate periodization. But any program from Layne Norton is going to be top notch as well.

I love Layne Norton's PH3 program, @leajas1, if you're looking for something that cycles high rep/low weight and low rep/high weight.

I've read that this is an intermediate program and you're supposed to have a certain Wilks before considering it.
    I know you've made some great progress on it, just wondering if anyone had thoughts about that?

Uh...I had to look that up and when I did the calculations I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. I'd say I'm pretty strongly in the intermediate box
    Squats: 165lbs 2x6 and 1x5
    DLs: 145lbs 3x4
    Bench: (moving up next chest day) 85lbs 1x10, 1x9, 1x8

Thoughts? I can take hearing I need more work. Thanks!

I would be more concerned about good form than the Wilks number, having used the program for awhile now.

You'll need to know your one rep max (1RM) for bench, squats and deads. You can take your numbers above and use this website to find your 1RM.

http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards

Thanks again!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @psuLemon, Mike Matthews recommends 4-6 rep range for men and 8-10 for women, as you know, and I've been following his program for two years. I'm looking for something new and have checked out PHAT and a program laid out by A Workout Routine. In PHAT, the power moves call for 3-5 reps. Does there really need to be any difference in reps between men and women? TIA.

Hmm interesting. I really like Mike Matthews and know he does his research, still something doesn't sit well with me about this. Maybe it is due to most women's preference to train that way? or I have heard we recover differently but not sure if rep ranges have anything to do with it. Strong Curves rep ranges are also very high for the most part. In the end I don't see why women can't train like men if they desire.

It has to do with the type of muscle fibers (slow twitch vs fast twitch). Women tend to have more slow twitch muscle fibers (from my understanding), so there is a propensity to respond better to higher rep/lower weight. I am sure based on that, and all his clients, he has noticed that women tend to be able to add more volume with higher reps where males respond better to higher weight lower reps. Whether or not it's good for the individual will vary. So if you work in a variety of rep ranges, you can address both types of muscle fiber, receive the benefits and work on the weaknesses.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Hmm interesting. I really like Mike Matthews and know he does his research, still something doesn't sit well with me about this. Maybe it is due to most women's preference to train that way? or I have heard we recover differently but not sure if rep ranges have anything to do with it. Strong Curves rep ranges are also very high for the most part. In the end I don't see why women can't train like men if they desire.

It has to do with the type of muscle fibers (slow twitch vs fast twitch). Women tend to have more slow twitch muscle fibers (from my understanding), so there is a propensity to respond better to higher rep/lower weight. I am sure based on that, and all his clients, he has noticed that women tend to be able to add more volume with higher reps where males respond better to higher weight lower reps. Whether or not it's good for the individual will vary. So if you work in a variety of rep ranges, you can address both types of muscle fiber, receive the benefits and work on the weaknesses.

Ahh super interesting stuff! Thanks
    Yea I tend to hit most rep ranges so fingers crossed something is working ;)
  • psuLemon

It's one of the things I enjoy in BLS. Most of my work is in the 4 to 6 rep range, while he does include a few sets per week in the 8 to 10 range.
  • leajas1

It's one of the things I enjoy in BLS. Most of my work is in the 4 to 6 rep range, while he does include a few sets per week in the 8 to 10 range.

The fewer the reps I need to do the happier I'll be.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Haha
    Last month in my program I had to do 50 reps of hip thrusts on one of the days. 50.. straight... with pauses as necessary. I died. For reals! :s
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
  • leajas1

Haha
    Last month in my program I had to do 50 reps of hip thrusts on one of the days. 50.. straight... with pauses as necessary. I died. For reals! :s

Ugh!! Isn't that called cardio??
  • leajas1

Awesome, so much research to do!
  • Aesthetics27
    Aesthetics27 Posts: 24 Member
    I did well with Stronglifts 5x5 by Medhi and when I need a reset, I go back to Wendler 5/3/1. I still use some fundamentals from 5/3/1 in my own training (after ~4 years of playing around with what does and doesn't work for me) now which is:
    M: Heavy back
    T: Strength shoulder/hypertrophy chest
    W: Rest
    Tr: Deadlift/ Strength Chest
    F: Rest
    Sa: Hypertrophy full body
    Su: Rest

5/3/1 is based around the "big 4" i.e. squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press so I revolve my workout around those and then follow up with supplemental exercises afterwards. Happy training to y'all!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    What do folk think of this routine?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
    I've decided I need to follow something on TV to be sure I'm doing the moves correctly. If this one isn't up to snuff, can someone point out a video of one that is?
    Bear in mind I'm focusing more on cardio and doing the C25K right now, but want something for resistance 2-3 times a week.

Thanks.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I absolutely love the hasfit routines. That was, and still is, one of my basics.
    I travel, so don't always get to a gym.

Combined with the nerdfitness bodyweight routine,as a beginner, I don't think one can go wrong.
    I did those and followed with Allpro.

Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    What do folk think of this routine?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY
    I've decided I need to follow something on TV to be sure I'm doing the moves correctly. If this one isn't up to snuff, can someone point out a video of one that is?
    Bear in mind I'm focusing more on cardio and doing the C25K right now, but want something for resistance 2-3 times a week.

Thanks.

It's ok for very light resistance. But what is really your goal?
  • Tacklewasher

Losing weight. Currently ~270 (from 330) and want to get to 220 then evaluate. I figure at that point (say Sept) I will want to do serious lifting but I don't want to lose what muscle I have now. I'm also making sure I get between 100 and 125g of protein daily.

Second goal at this point is to finish the C25K and do some runs once it warms up. I just finished week 2.
  • Tacklewasher
    I see I'm in the wrong place. I'll go away now. Not sure how I ended up here.
  • psuLemon

Losing weight. Currently ~270 (from 330) and want to get to 220 then evaluate. I figure at that point (say Sept) I will want to do serious lifting but I don't want to lose what muscle I have now. I'm also making sure I get between 100 and 125g of protein daily.

Second goal at this point is to finish the C25K and do some runs once it warms up. I just finished week 2.

It may not be a bad start. Over time you can increase time and change programs. I started with beachbody programs and have transitioned over time.
  • ieroen
    ieroen Posts: 77 Member
    I'm going to start lifting soon, so I'm looking for a decent starter program that I can stick to for a while. The goal is to gain some strength and build muscle. I found the SL 5x5 very appealing because it's super simple and straightforward, I only have to learn how to do 5 moves. In reading up on it, I accidentally stumbled across this Reddit. It's kind of an adaptation to the SL thing, claiming that it fills in for certain weak spots in the program. It spoke to me because it focuses less on squats. But since I am a noob amongst noobs, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Id stick with Stronglifts to get you off the ground, its important to really focus on those 5 main lifts and get your form right.

Seriously, you cant focus on that enough, especially to start with.

In time you will out grown the program, at which point look into amending it or trying something different. By then you will have a good idea of what appeals and what will likely suit you.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    ieroen wrote: »
    I'm going to start lifting soon, so I'm looking for a decent starter program that I can stick to for a while. The goal is to gain some strength and build muscle. I found the SL 5x5 very appealing because it's super simple and straightforward, I only have to learn how to do 5 moves. In reading up on it, I accidentally stumbled across this Reddit. It's kind of an adaptation to the SL thing, claiming that it fills in for certain weak spots in the program. It spoke to me because it focuses less on squats. But since I am a noob amongst noobs, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

INMH the big positives of SL 5x5 is it is simple and there is a focus on the big compound lifts. Replacing those with accessory moves or adding additional exercise is a retrograde step in my opinion.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    ieroen wrote: »

My vote is ALWAYS Stronglifts. Awesome starter program that produced good gains.