Am I the only one that finds it difficult to eat more?

scaryann1
scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
I have been trying to increase how much I eat. I feel like I am eating all day long, constantly. However, when I total everything up at the end of the day, I am still only at 1500 average. I have been at this for almost a year now. I'm not a fan of food, but I know I need to eat, but nothing sounds good.

I'm starting to feel depressed again. In 2012, when I started keeping track of my food intake, I was averaging 500-800 calories a day. I had been eating like this for 20 years. I weighed 265 pounds. I forced myself to start eating 1000 calories a day but it seemed to be all in one or two meals. I managed to get myself up to 305 pounds.

Since increasing to 1500 in May last year, I am now down to 279-284, but can not get the scale to move anymore. It's discouraging.

It doesn't help that I have hEDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome hypermobility type), I can and have dislocated my knees and ankles by walking. I have dislocated my right shoulder three times this year by simply sleeping. My right wrist dislocates 10+ times a day, even with a brace on. I can't cup vegetables, and I despise fruit. Tomatoes make my throat swell shut. All I have to do is smell a cucumber to get heartburn so bad I can't concentrate for an entire day.

Anyway, I'm just discouraged and need some new ideas. If no one has any ideas that's okay, I'm used to being left out.

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    ^ some great advice there....this should discussion should be a sticky!
  • scaryann1
    I actually managed to hit 1700 calories yesterday! I even went over by 28 calories. It took from 8 am to 10 pm to do it, but I did it! I know it sounds like a small step but for me it’s huge. I tried to eat something every two hours all day long. I feel like such a hog though. For the longest time I refused to even have friends here because I didn’t want anyone to see how much of a pig I am.

I am starting to feel hunger again, not yesterday though. I told my nutritionist last month that I felt hungry one day and she all but celebrated. She actually is learning about my syndrome (hEDS), so she understands that I am not able to move as much as I want to move. Not long ago, Rick and I were hiking for miles while geocaching. Now, I feel lucky to get from the Jeep to the other side of a small ditch without dislocating something.

My kidneys are in stage 3b renal failure, so I have to keep my protein intake very low right now to give them a chance to heal. Meat has always been the one food I refused to give up, and now having to restrict that has been the biggest blow. And reducing the peanut butter is a nightmare!

Even when I had a heart attack in 2006 the heart doctor insisted I had to be eating too much. It didn’t matter that I couldn’t finish a tray of food myself the entire week I was in the hospital. I must have been secretly eating other stuff when the nurses weren’t looking.

Thank you everyone. I’m sure I’m not done complaining about this yet, but you have been awesome. I am a work in progress. ;)
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    That is certainly something to celebrate, good for you!!! :-)
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    That's awesome news!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    I have been trying to increase how much I eat. I feel like I am eating all day long, constantly. However, when I total everything up at the end of the day, I am still only at 1500 average. I have been at this for almost a year now. I'm not a fan of food, but I know I need to eat, but nothing sounds good.

I'm starting to feel depressed again. In 2012, when I started keeping track of my food intake, I was averaging 500-800 calories a day. I had been eating like this for 20 years. I weighed 265 pounds. I forced myself to start eating 1000 calories a day but it seemed to be all in one or two meals. I managed to get myself up to 305 pounds.

Since increasing to 1500 in May last year, I am now down to 279-284, but can not get the scale to move anymore. It's discouraging.

It doesn't help that I have hEDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome hypermobility type), I can and have dislocated my knees and ankles by walking. I have dislocated my right shoulder three times this year by simply sleeping. My right wrist dislocates 10+ times a day, even with a brace on. I can't cup vegetables, and I despise fruit. Tomatoes make my throat swell shut. All I have to do is smell a cucumber to get heartburn so bad I can't concentrate for an entire day.

Anyway, I'm just discouraged and need some new ideas. If no one has any ideas that's okay, I'm used to being left out.

This has been a wonderful thread to read Ann, you certainly have a lot of support, and it's encouraging that all these ladies (maybe some guys here too, I don't know) are willing to help us. I'm just starting, and to answer your original question, yes, it's hard to eat enough calories, and get my macros I need for all I'm starting to do now.

Just really want to congratulate you, and mostly on sticking with us here. We are so lucky to have folks online, because I don't meet many around me that are striving for a healthier lifestyle. This way we get to meet all kinds of people working toward the same goals, better health;) denise

• scaryann1
    Well here it is the 21st. I'm still fighting to maintain 1700 calories. Most days I make it, but days like yesterday, it's just not gonna happen. At least I was close, under 100 shy of making it! I was thinking about upping 100 this week, but I think I'm gonna hold off one more week and give my body a little more time to adjust to this amount.

Here's a breakdown of my first three weeks of actively keeping track...
    March 7, 2016
    Starting weight: 284 pounds
    BMR = 1970
    TDEE = 2365
    Average calories = 1499

March 15, 2016
    Starting weight: 281.2
    Down = 2.8 pounds
    BMR = 1958
    TDEE = 2350
    Average calories = 1703

March 21, 2016
    Starting weight = 279.8
    Down = 1.4 pounds
    BMR = 1952
    TDEE = 2343
    Average calories = 1723

I'm hoping this helps me stay on track to eat more. I think not putting myself down for not making it to goal and not putting myself down if I go over goal is even harder than actually eating. :neutral:
  • NWCountryGal
    edited March 2016
    If we want to lose, my understanding is that our TDEE is the amount to eat when we want to maintain the weight we have. Then the amount we need to eat would be say, 100 calories over that amount, then continue adding a 100 until we lose some weight?? If your BMR, which in my understanding (again) is the amount they would feed us if we were in a coma, and we'd get it through an IV. So if you are only eating, even the 1723, your body is going to be grasping for food, and in not getting it, it's not going to let go of what it does have. Maybe I am wrong, as I am knew at this and just learning, hopefully, the right things.

Also, yes, it is hard to eat more, because I am programmed to be careful not to eat too much, and eating low calorie etc. But even a handful of walnuts can give me enough calories. I'm finding macros are sooo important as well. I was getting the calories I needed, but a "too" low % of proteins. Someone rescued me out of that mistake thank goodness!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Oh I so apologize, I should have read back further Ann, I see that you are trying to get to your TDEE, and then from there. I just saw your last post. Please accept my apology:( denise
  • scaryann1
    No problems at all denise. I've been fighting to get up to my TDEE for over a year now. I try to laugh at myself because it was sooooo hard to raise that average up by a whole 20 calories. LOL At least I'm doing a LOT better than I was four years ago with an average of 800 calories!

Also because of poor kidney function, I have to stay very low on protein for now. Hopefully my kidneys will decided to kick back in and do their jobs if I can get my eating where it's supposed to be. But thanks for the words of wisdom, I WILL get there. :smiley:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Its a slow process. Very slow. But you are doing great! Keep at it and hit that 1700. One thing at a time. :)
    Celebrate the small things.. cause its those that make up the big changes
  • NWCountryGal
    scaryann1 wrote: »
    No problems at all denise. I've been fighting to get up to my TDEE for over a year now. I try to laugh at myself because it was sooooo hard to raise that average up by a whole 20 calories. LOL At least I'm doing a LOT better than I was four years ago with an average of 800 calories!

Also because of poor kidney function, I have to stay very low on protein for now. Hopefully my kidneys will decided to kick back in and do their jobs if I can get my eating where it's supposed to be. But thanks for the words of wisdom, I WILL get there. :smiley:

Well you're too kind honey, I sure messed up by not reading more of the thread. I knew I recognized the name, so wish I would have. You are doing amazing. Keep us posted here so we can encourage you, hugs, denise
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Great job on making these changes with the difficulties you've had and are having.

Question about the protein and liver issues.

So the liver is really stressed with excess protein - do you have some means of testing if you are making use of all protein taken in so there is no excess you are excreting?

Just concerned that with good activity levels but low protein levels.

It's a bummer that resistance training seems to show a blunting of the damage of protein on the liver.
    Are you able to do heavy for you resistance training?