Am I the only one that finds it difficult to eat more?

Options

Replies

• scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's been a long road, but even without lifting as much as I would like (thanks to my Ehlers-Danlos) I am still losing those inches and pounds. Someday I will be consistent on my calorie intake and I do believe that will help even more.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey, keep losing and your eating level will become maintenance level.

That's better than other way around, gaining weight until maintenance level becomes eating level.

I'm sure some things will feel better to do then, or more frequently than currently able to - which will help even more.
    Keep at it, doing great.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hope your fingers are cooperating!
    Time is flying fast for me at the moment too.
    Your steady, consistent approach is perfect! And it's working!
    Great stuff Mary Ann!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • scaryann1
    Options
    Weight = 290.8
    Up 1.8 pounds
    Last week = 289
    (Invalid weigh in, but what the heck)

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1917
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) = 2397
    Average calories = 2192
    Last weeks Average = 1909

Weight - April 286 pounds / Last week 289 pounds /Today 290.8/Total - Up 1.8 pounds; Down 14.2 pounds since I started eating more in August 2015.
    Calf- April 20.5 inches / Last week 19 inches/Today 18.5 inches/Total -2 inches
    Thigh- April 30 inches / Last week 27 inches/Today 27 inches /Total - 3 inches
    Hips - April 58 inches /Last week 56 inches/Today 56 inches/Total - 2 inches
    Abdomen - April 51 inches / Last week 46 inches/ Today 44.75 inches/Total - 6.25 inches
    Waist - April 48 inches / Last week 45 inches/Today 45.5 inches/Total - 2.5 inches
    Forearm - April 13 inches / Last week 12 inches/Today 11.75 inches/Total - 1.25 inches

Not bad measurements for "that time of the month." I did manage to get three more finger splints made this past week, but now my fingers are getting smaller... I have to make them again because they keep falling off! Good thing they are cheep to make. I think I'd be crying if I had spent the money for the ones from the splint company. They want over $80 for each one and over $180 for the thumbs. I'm still working on something for my thumbs, but I will make something that works before I give up on it. In order to buy them from the splint company it would cost me about $2252, so the only option I have right now is to figure out how to make them myself. That's 11 splints per hand, wow that sure sounds like a lot doesn't it!
  • scaryann1
    Options
    ovvqa2ikhnmp.jpg
    These are the ones I have finished. I need two per finger, two per thumb, and a third on each middle finger.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the photo - I wondered why you needed 11 per hand! You're very resourceful, working out how to make your own splints. They would send you to the poorhouse otherwise!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Love your resourcefulness! You are amazing!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • scaryann1
    Options
    vw7xsgdgb9pu.jpg

I got some more finished yesterday, here is what they look like with two on each finger.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Mary Ann these are amazing!
    Have you ever thought of making them and selling them?
    It would help others tremendously avoiding those massive costs of the splints from the 'official' company and could be a source of income for you too.
    And your wire decorations would for sure sell before Christmas on Etsy or somewhere similar.
    You've got talent lady!
    Ichel
  • scaryann1
    Options
    Actually, there are a lot of people selling them already on Etsy and even Ebay.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

That's better than other way around, gaining weight until maintenance level becomes eating level.

@heybales I read these words 50 times or more! So this means that we should keep eating at maintenance until the weight stabilises and dont lose anymore.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think that sounds pretty confusing, right?

Anyway, maybe what he meant is that you could eat at maintenance level of the weight you want to be with the activity level that you have now. That's the approach that Fat2Fit Radio has. If your goal weight is 160lbs, for example, you would put that in the calculator with your other stats and you would start eating from now at that level. And that would be the tdee that you would be eating for life, unless you change your activity level and gain weight in the form of muscle (which would make you heavier but the SAME size, only looking much better). That would give you a deficit to lose weight but will not work as well if you are coming from a past of dieting and restricting.

But the message is the same, you need to eat the right caloric levels to reach your goals, very low calorie diets will not give you the results for the long run.
    I'll leave a link to an article about diet lies we keep telling ourselves, part of the Crushing the Diet Mentality Course: http://pin.it/lhNW4X3

Tereza
    Team EM2WL Moderator and Member
  • scaryann1
    Options
    Weight = 291.2
    Up .4 pounds
    Last week = 290.8

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1917
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) = 2397
    Average calories = 1983
    Last weeks Average = 2192

Weight - April 286 pounds / Last week 290.8 pounds /Today 291.2/Total - Up .4 pounds; Down 13.8 pounds since I started eating more in August 2015.
    Calf- April 20.5 inches / Last week 18.5 inches/Today 18.75 inches/Total - 1.75 inches
    Thigh- April 30 inches / Last week 27 inches/Today 27 inches /Total - 3 inches
    Hips - April 58 inches /Last week 56 inches/Today 56.75 inches/Total - 1.25 inches
    Abdomen - April 51 inches / Last week 44.75 inches/ Today 44.5 inches/Total - 6.5 inches
    Waist - April 48 inches / Last week 45.5 inches/Today 45.5 inches/Total - 2.5 inches
    Forearm - April 13 inches / Last week 12 inches/Today 11.75 inches/Total - 1.25 inches

It's been a very busy week, not to mention it's the end of the month, so unintended cut...

Right hand is done fr right now. Now need to finish the left hand...
    1gmqm1sbgmxd.jpg

I also have a new favorite wire decoration. (I got the idea from Pineterest)
    nodwc395d96q.jpg

Last picture this week: all the wire decorations I've made so far.
    q5t77pkcernt.jpg

• zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, they are so pretty. You can feel the love that's gone into making them xxx
  • heybales
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »

@heybales I read these words 50 times or more! So this means that we should keep eating at maintenance until the weight stabilises and dont lose anymore.

For what was mentioned there in context - kind of. She mentioned she had trouble eating at estimated TDEE, and was losing weight slowly but surely. Eventually, she won't have to try to eat more, her TDEE will have lowered to the amount she happens to eat.

I was just stating a fact that sometimes happens to people, because they don't understand the concept.
    I feel the concepts should be understood enough to carry with you for life - because there will always be changes in life that must be fit into the way things work. Or you will have problems down the road if you don't understand.

I'll explain the bad direction, and you'll understand the better direction.

If you estimated a TDEE higher than reality, and I mean higher than potential really is, not suppressed, so truly eating in excess of what your body can burn - then you will gain fat. if doing a good weight lifting workout, some muscle too of course.

And while eating more than you should (if maintenance is the goal), you will slowly be increasing your TDEE as your weight increases - because fat is metabolically active (albeit small), and muscle you gain (a tad more too), and you are moving around more mass all day long.
    So of course literal TDEE goes up.

Eventually you gain enough weight, your literal TDEE will match your eating level. You will stop gaining.

There was a case study years ago on non-dieters (not a research study testing something, just stats on people), and they found that vast majority of overweight and obese (using the BMI terms here) people had actually stopped gaining weight, or at least the gain was so slow it was 2-4 lbs per 6-9 months.
    So they were basically eating their TDEE. They ate a lot, but they burned it too.

Same thing other direction - you will have to eat less at lighter weight to maintain once there. Compared to now. All other things being equal.

It's like the other life lesson that must be understood - you always need to eat appropriately for your level of activity. Not talking a few days change here, but something major changes in life.
    Just gotta have that kind of stuff in mind to make adjustments as required.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @heybales This is such a clear explanation! I got it. This is the reason why ppl eating low cals for most of their life ( like me) increase weight while increasing cals coz the prior has become their tdee. Thanx for elaborating.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Lovely wire decorations.
    They are beautiful!
    Ichel
  • BusyB223
    BusyB223 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This was a great thread. I thought I was the only one struggling with eating more than 1900 cals per day. I get it now and I am on it. I have to gets some weights now. Thank you all.
  • scaryann1
    Options
    BusyB223, I am so glad my thread has helped you!

You most likely have things around the house that you can use to start lifting with. Believe it or not you can even start out using a can of soup!

I have a connective tissue disorder that makes lifting very difficult. I can dislocate a joint doing simple everyday movement. I went to Walmart and picked up some ankle weights that you can adjust how much they weigh by adding or removing two pound bags of sand. I've been lifting four pounds whenever my joints will allow, which isn't too often this time of year.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
  • heybales
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »
    @heybales This is such a clear explanation! I got it. This is the reason why ppl eating low cals for most of their life ( like me) increase weight while increasing cals coz the prior has become their tdee. Thanx for elaborating.

And the reason for the difference when people increase calories (slowly or in big chunks) - depends on how their body slowed down, and how they speed back up.

If someone had been at a potential not huge deficit for a long time (potential, but not actually losing fat) - their body may have done the first response only - slowing you down in activity daily.

So that person eats more - and immediately has energy to move more - their literal TDEE goes up to match their eating level - no weight gain except water.

Another person underate drastically and body not only slowed down, but workouts became mediocre, and their metabolism slowed down, and in that state, likely lost some muscle mass too. So now their potential TDEE is lower anyway.

So they start eating more - but perhaps don't feel the extra energy for a long while and so don't start moving more, or have a life that doesn't allow a big increase, so workouts only thing to get better - their literal TDEE goes up just a blip and still doesn't match their eating level - weight gain with water and fat.

It's usually about the daily activity outside of exercise, that seems to be the biggest difference in potential daily burn.

That's why it's great when someone notices having more energy very early on, especially if they have a life that allows increasing daily movement.
    The response of feeling warmer, hair & nails growing better, ect - that all takes time as part of the metabolism speeding up, and is usually minor in the scheme of daily burn.

Just thought I'd add on some more - since there seem to be 2 main responses to eating more initially.