Looking for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) friends!

Options
Hello

Would be great to connect with other people who have IBS for support & understanding.

Lots of love x

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i haven't been officially diagnosed but it's been bandied about by my doctors. i do have digestive issues
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have severe Crohn's (IBD) and ibs
  • Kristin2626
    Kristin2626 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i haven't been officially diagnosed but it's been bandied about by my doctors. i do have digestive issues

Me too.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That's my official diagnosis when I failed the celiac test. Mine is controlled with diet and trying to keep low stress. Of course, anxiety and OCD doesn't help with that. ;)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been dealing with IBS for 30 years now, and while I've pretty much learned to live with it, it still baffles me to this day. I swear I could eat the exact same thing every day of my life, and feel fine one day and miserable the next. So it's a lot more than just food that affects my symptoms.
  • mountiesgirl
    mountiesgirl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had IBS since I was 18 years old feel free to add me
  • TheKrysiaJean
    TheKrysiaJean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    IBS-D here. Diagnosed. Coupled with a Panic/Anxiety Disorder. I can talk about my strange bowels all day long. Let's do this.
  • emmac454
    emmac454 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey I have the other kind of IBS but feel free to add me
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MissCatLady I struggled with life defining IBS for 40 years and 18 months ago I cut out sugars and grains and the IBS was totally gone after six months but I have no idea if it is worth a try in your case. As a guess I was feeding a candida overgrowth that is known to be possible when living mainly on carbs as I was for many years. Some say probiotics can be helpful. I do take them now but the IBS had cleared up well before I added probiotic supplements.

Best of success.
  • lexykassan
    lexykassan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis a few years ago. My doctor told me I would be on medications for the rest of my life. Instead, I slowly reintroduced foods in order to find what triggered my inflammation and then cut those things out. I have been in remission ever since I cut out artificial sweeteners. The only flare-ups I've had is when I've been accidentally "spiked" with them (like when ordering lemonade at a restaurant). This is not a cure-all for everyone, but try gradual changes in your diet and listen to your body.

Probiotics can definitely help. They helped me tip the balance of my microbiota after having been put on Flagyl. Just be prepared that they can cause "flushing" for a time, which felt to me like it was contributing to other symptoms. It is a fairly normal occurrence but is rather disconcerting if you don't know what to expect.
  • MissCatLady
    MissCatLady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses everyone!
    Took me years to realise dairy triggered mine. As I get older, it seems I'm becoming more and more intolerant to different foods, it sucks! Sometimes it seems like my body is rejecting food for the sake of it.
    Anxiety is another big factor. I get gasitris often due to chronic anxiety. It's getting so bad that I'm waiting to get physio because anxiety has messed up my shoulders from always being so tense. Any way that's another story.
    Feel free to add me :).
  • dmiller612
    dmiller612 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    IBSer checking in!! I actually had a doctor tell me that it was ok to go two weeks without releasing my bowels. Ummm really?!?! Anyone recommend a good cleanse once every 3-4 months??

weight.png

• ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    After 30 yrs of this diagnosis, I did an elimination diet and now I am much better after finding what I was eating that was causing the problem. For me it is wheat and sugars.
  • MissCatLady
    Options
    After 30 yrs of this diagnosis, I did an elimination diet and now I am much better after finding what I was eating that was causing the problem. For me it is wheat and sugars.

At this point I will only be able to eat lettuce, and I hate lettuce haha. Even fruit now I'm very sensitive to. Had 2 strawberries earlier and wasn't long before I had griping pain. Glad you found the problem :)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found that my symptoms are reduced (not eliminated, but reduced) when I avoid gluten and too much sugar.
  • MissCatLady
    Options
    dmiller612 wrote: »
    IBSer checking in!! I actually had a doctor tell me that it was ok to go two weeks without releasing my bowels. Ummm really?!?! Anyone recommend a good cleanse once every 3-4 months??

weight.png

2 weeks is not normal! You must've been in agony, you poor thing! When I couldn't go for 2 weeks I was given some laxedo. Have you seen a different doc instead?
    I don't know any cleanses sorry.

• MissCatLady
    Options
    Yes, I have found that my symptoms are reduced (not eliminated, but reduced) when I avoid gluten and too much sugar.

I had a gluten allergy/intolerance test but nothing came up.

In fact all my bloods always come up healthy yet my bowels tell a different story!
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hello

Would be great to connect with other people who have IBS for support & understanding.

Lots of love x

Yep, I've got IBS
  • valkc1953
    valkc1953 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Have had IBS plus other types of problems related to it. Not fun....
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'll add something a friend told me- and it's really reduced my IBS.

Watch out for the ingredient 'carrageenan.' It's a vegan gelatin alternative made from seaweed , and it's wicked inflammatory. Every time I accidentally have some, I spend the next day doubled over in pain.

It's in LOTS of things, keep an eye out. Takes about 5-7 days to get out of the system, in my experience.

lunch meat, yogurts, cottage cheese, fake milks (almond, rice, soy), meal bars, supplement shakes- those are the worst offenders.