Women - menstrual cycle, weight, and fitness matters

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Here's a bump for September.
  • ma_bitts
    ma_bitts Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you, everyone, for posting to this thread. Good times, indeed, but at least we're not alone in all of this. :)
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    I eat whatever I'm craving and try to keep it within the maintaining calories (around 1500). I can go over a little, but I usually can't eat much anyways. I still weigh myself to see what it's actually doing to my body, but I know the number is not real. If I know I'm starting soon and my weigh in day is coming up, I weigh myself everyday until I start and go with the number the day before all my symptoms start, it seems to be correct.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Great post!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    I am 46 and now moved to a 21 day cycle with some dizziness just before and often a raised temp so suspect I am peri now. Anyone else find their ability to exercise is linked to their cycle? I find at some points in the cycle I am full of energy and others e.g. the week before period I am exhausted and can't find the energy to do much. I just go with it really as it does not matter long term if I am more active some weeks than others.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    jonnyman41 wrote: »
    I am 46 and now moved to a 21 day cycle with some dizziness just before and often a raised temp so suspect I am peri now. Anyone else find their ability to exercise is linked to their cycle? I find at some points in the cycle I am full of energy and others e.g. the week before period I am exhausted and can't find the energy to do much. I just go with it really as it does not matter long term if I am more active some weeks than others.

I've always been variable, energy-wise; sometimes I feel totally drained and sometimes I feel like I have to DO ALL THE THINGS NOW. The only thing that changed as I got older (47) is that it doesn't hurt as much, so yay for that :smile:

Be interesting to see how perimenopause manifests when that happens. I don't often take my temperature, so I don't have a baseline.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I just downloaded Period Tracker. Thanks for the tip here!

I've been using it for a couple month now (since it was talked about here) and also Clue. I like them both, but I'm still exploring all the features.

However ... poor Period Tracker and Clue ... they're as confused as I am. :lol: I'm starting and stopping all over the place so not one of their predictions has been right yet.

Nevertheless I'm see my dr again next week about this and these apps may come in handy to show here what I'm talking about.

I wonder if I can download and print a chart of what's been going on to hand to her.
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Bump. Really enjoy reading this - very insightful
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    jonnyman41 wrote: »

I am 39 and am going through the same thing one month I get two the next just one thankfully. I also get low energy and tired. I found it I take an iron supplement the first few days it is not that bad. My symptoms are worse the few days before ovulation. I feel like a wack job. Then I get that horrible cramping in my side and am good for a week or so then TOM and I get super hungry the first day.

I also noticed I get more acne now than when I was a teenager and it is always around ovulation too.
  • RhapsodyWinters
    RhapsodyWinters Posts: 128 Member
    Yes yes please sticky this. Sex ed when I was in middle school was a joke. They taught abstinence rather than what to expect. ; ;
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Bump for the month.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Is there an option somewhere "I want to be male 1 week each month"? :neutral:

oh and... bump because this thread is awesome and reminds me that I'm not alone in my suffering. :heart:
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Bump
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Bump again. :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    bumpity bump

also, can anyone commiserate about inches gained during pms? i'm used to jumping up on the scale, but since i just started monthly measurements 3 months ago, this is the first time i've had to measure right before tom. most areas are up by about .5 inches. intellectually i know that it must be part of the water retention but emotionally the pms is winning.
  • I am happy to see this post. I have been doing battle with the PMS hunger. My cycle runs at 21-23 days so all of this comes around a little faster for me each cycle. I am happy to say though, I only had one day this time where I lost all control and ate shamelessly. I doubled my calories that day. I have focused my efforts on not giving in to the insatiable hunger. Once I start eating I cannot stop eating. So I do all I can do to stick to my calorie goal as closely as possible. I have not gained any weight this time either. I have just a few more days to go until I get back to my "normal" feeling self. I believe a lot of women and men alike can benefit from this post. It never hurts to try to understand the process and why these things happen to us. If we can understand maybe we can be better able to combat the weight gain and uncontrollable eating.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    This thread is awesome. Comforting

^^ i don't measure at that time, it's too shocking. I know it is significant because I am suddenly able to wear only drawstring pants and forget workout bras.

^ I don't sweat too much the crazy day + of eating I figure it gets made up for on the next few days of not eating much of anything. I totally loose all care of food once it hits me, perhaps because it becomes more painful if I eat.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    bumpity bump

also, can anyone commiserate about inches gained during pms? i'm used to jumping up on the scale, but since i just started monthly measurements 3 months ago, this is the first time i've had to measure right before tom. most areas are up by about .5 inches. intellectually i know that it must be part of the water retention but emotionally the pms is winning.
    This is me right now . PMS week is here and abs measurements are all up by .5 to 1 inch. Weight is up by nearly 6 lbs. Pms sucks