5"8 what is your goal weight?

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
I'm 5"8, age 44 and started off at 178lbs. I am currently 148lbs, and my goal weight is 143lbs. Any lower than that and I start to look gaunt and sickly.

Anyone here with similar stats and goals?

Also, I've been trying to lose these last 5lbs for months, and I keep bobbing around 148, give or take. So very frustrating!!

Replies

• LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    I'm 49 years old (not sure how that happened!), am 5'8" and am currently weigh144 lbs. My goal is 135 because that is what I wanted to weigh in college but couldn't get there. Lowest recently was 138 but I kind of freaked out and started eating what I wanted because hey--I weigh 138 pounds. Surprise--the weight came back. So, on it goes. I plan to increase exercise this summer because I'm a teacher and that is when I'm able to make the most progress.

Keep going even though you are frustrated! You can do it.

I have a college reunion in August and I'm going to go weighing 135!
  • happyhealthypegan
    happyhealthypegan Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    My goal weight is not set in stone yet but it is between 140 and 144 lbs depending on what I look like when I get there. I'm currently 152 lbs.

It's so hard to get the last bit off, but I've just joined myfitnesspal to kick start myself again :)
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm similar to you. I'm 5'8", weigh 149 lbs and I want to lose 4 lbs. If i go lower than that I look gaunt and it's too aging to my face (I'm 50).

I hit my goal a couple of months ago on Weight Watchers but the new program is unsustainable and I ended up gaining back most of it. I quit my membership and decided MFP is a better fit for me because it's real-world.
  • Maliroads86
    Maliroads86 Posts: 13 Member
  • Christine_72

Whoah, I don't think I've ever been that low, even as a skinny high schooler

• modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    I'm 46 and 5'8". I seem to hover around the 142 mark. Trying hard to get to 135 without losing lean mass. Its damn hard lol. I always feel better when I'm under 140
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    I'm 34 & 5'8". I started at 168, now at 141. I guess my goal is around 135 but once I am under 140 my goal is to look toned and start getting definition.

My original goal was 145 but I got there and decided I wasn't done yet.
  • Maliroads86
    A few years back I was around 160 got sick was bedridden for months and dropped down to 110. Mostly muscle loss. Gained weight back but not muscle. I've maintained 130 for 12+ months, now my focus is to lean out and gain muscle. Never gained the muscle back I lost years ago. Muscle is easy to lose but not get back.
  • modmom1
    edited May 2016
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    I'm similar to you. I'm 5'8", weigh 149 lbs and I want to lose 4 lbs. If i go lower than that I look gaunt and it's too aging to my face (I'm 50).

I hit my goal a couple of months ago on Weight Watchers but the new program is unsustainable and I ended up gaining back most of it. I quit my membership and decided MFP is a better fit for me because it's real-world.

I did WW when I was a teenager. Worst decision ever. It dropped me down to 114 lbs and I was nearly hospitalized because I kept passing out due to poor blood pressure. All that group did was celebrate the scale. They didn't teach me a thing about metabolism, muscle growth and the need to eat. Its one the reasons I'm on a mission now to educate women.

I'm sure its changed a lot since way back then (I sure hope it has) but it was not a wise choice for me. Mind you, we didn't have internet so there wasn't much to compare it to.

• avaughn34
    avaughn34 Posts: 8 Member
    I am 5'8 and my goal is to get to 130lb (I have a really small frame) currently 140, I have some extra fluff around my middle. Once that happens I plan on trying to gain some muscle.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    i am 50 and 5'8". my goal weight is about 135-138. i am very toned and fit from daily hot vinyasa yoga. i am currently around 145, people think much less i guess because of my build and the tone. my clothes fit from when i weighed less but no muscle tone. so i am happy to be wearing size 4 again so i have clothes. i am on prednisone for life which makes this struggle even more difficult. water weight gain, hunger, crave sugar....but i keep on fighting. i am open to any tips or suggestions. as of recently i have been weighing less and looking at how my clothes fit more. thanks jennifer
  • modmom1
    at 5'8, I find it so difficult to get under 140lbs. Anyone else have trouble or is it easy for you to get into the 130s?
  • rfk6
    rfk6 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Ladies, I am 39 and 5'8". Three years ago I was at 138lbs. and felt great. Then I started working on my doctorate and packed on 30 pounds. My exercise time turned into study time and I am 168lbs, ugg. I am now done with school and ready to focus on my health again. You ladies who are close to my goal are helping me remember that I can get back to where I was. Thanks for the inspiration, ladies.
  • Christine_72
    The lowest I've ever gone is 130lbs when I wasn't looking after my health at all. Looking back at pictures, I looked anorexic and unwell.
  • paperfrogmas95
    paperfrogmas95 Posts: 5 Member
    Same height! I'm 21 and hoping to get back to my lowest weight (around 130lbs) but hoping ideally to get to 120. My issue is I come from a family of pear-shaped women, so when I'm at a normal weight, my proportions feel very "off". I want to try and slim down so it's less noticeable.
  • Maliroads86
    I'm currently weighing in around 128, reaching for 120. The women in my family tend to carry weight around the mid section risk for heart disease. I'm also on medication that makes me carry weight ( BP meds) ( seizure meds) I'm only 29. I pay REALLY close attention to what I'm eating and what's in it. If I can choose one bread over another. One peanut butter over another. I'll def make those choices. Boca burgers. Low sugar oatmeal everyday. Sugar is the devil lol water is my best friend, and I'm not especially active maximum 7000 steps a day- but not average. I have a low calorie intake bc I'm not that active 1200-1500. I drink metamucile bc its filling and good for you. I've been able to maintain for about a year but was 160, before that. I hope any of this helps ❤️
  • Rooney1223
    Rooney1223 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm 5'8" and at 150 currently, but looking to be 145! Actually, I want to feel comfortable in my own skin again, and I'll know when I've reached that...but I want to get there healthy and happy, as I've had some cycles of over-exercising and binging. Any accountability out there?
  • ClintSeeber
    ClintSeeber Posts: 115 Member
    How did you ladies get so tall?
  • Christine_72
    How did you ladies get so tall?

Good genes :lol:

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,626 Member
    I've weighed in at 133 this morning (actually, it was 60.2kg as I live in the land of metric). Don't really want to be any thinner - 62kg is probably perfect.